General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Original vs. Aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007 | 10:14 AM
bruef
|
Intermediate
Default Original vs. Aftermarket

Hey all - I'm a newbie here so I hope you all don't mind some newbie-style questions. I'm picking up my first HD today ('04 Heritage Softail) and have a question regarding add-ons & parts. I'm a world-class bargain hunter - a firm believer in the axiom "retail is for suckers". I view ebay as the closest thing to Nirvana on earth. You get the picture.
I'm already looking into some add-ons for my bike - things like an engine guard, passenger floorboards, etc etc. I'm sure I don't need to tell you folks original Harley Davidson goodies of that nature aren't cheap. In doing some initial searching in places like the JCWhitney catalog and ebay I've found that there's all sorts of non-oem versions of this kind of stuff available for considerably less scratch.
I've NEVER been one to buy things just because the brand name is "cooler" than the virtually identical "non-brand" item available at Wal-Mart for 1/3 the ching. On the other hand, if there's one thing I'd ever be hesitant to cut corners on, I'm thinking it would be my new Harley.
I'd like to hear some opinions from everyone on OEM vs. after-market parts and add-ons. Do you think it would be a travesty of justice for me to put $20 luggage rack (that serves it's purposes equally well) on my bike rather than spending $116.00 for one at the dealership? Do cheaper parts detract from the value or "coolness" or whatever of the bike? What do you all think?

Old 05-01-2007 | 10:19 AM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Default RE: Original vs. Aftermarket

Only issue w/inexpensive parts is the quality of finish. If it looks good and has decent reviews from previous purchasers, why not save the cheddar. OTOH, if it's got poor quality, you'll either have to live with a bad-looking part or replace it often.

Old 05-01-2007 | 10:32 AM
PaOutlaw
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: grunt

Only issue w/inexpensive parts is the quality of finish. If it looks good and has decent reviews from previous purchasers, why not save the cheddar. OTOH, if it's got poor quality, you'll either have to live with a bad-looking part or replace it often.
[sm=exactly.gif]
Save coin "IF" you can. I for one..........would rather do things once and be done with it.
Welcome to HD and the forum

Old 05-01-2007 | 10:41 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member

It's my hang up and I realize that but I make it an effort to keep my bike 100% Harley. There's no good logical reason for that but that's just me.

Old 05-01-2007 | 11:34 AM
OldBoldPilot
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Riders Club Member

ORIGINAL: whaap

It's my hang up and I realize that but I make it an effort to keep my bike 100% Harley. There's no good logical reason for that but that's just me.
I'm pretty much the same way, with the exception of some small or well-tested items like Kuryakyn grips or 3rd-party mufflers. But when it comes to chrome, made in China or not, Harley is the best by far. After all, that's what they've built their reputation on.

That said, there are alternatives to paying retail. First, there are plenty of online parts discounters, such as Zannotti Motors, Chicago HD, and many others. You can also find new and used Harley parts on eBay. And last but not least, check the classified sections of Harley forums such as this one and others.

Happy trails with your new bike!

Old 05-01-2007 | 11:38 AM
BigJfxdwg
Road Warrior

Just remember that a lot of times you get what you pay for. On the other hand I have gotten great deals on e-bay, saved over $100 on a new PCIII, $70 on pipes. The danger of the internet for somethings is fit, you may need to actually see things to know if they will work for you, just because it says in the description that it fits all softails from 92-06 or whatever doesn't mean it fits and looks like you think it will.

Old 05-01-2007 | 11:51 AM
HogBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

Well said.

Old 05-01-2007 | 12:00 PM
DirtyDave
Tourer

There are many quality aftermarket companies out there that make better then OEM parts. Look at other peoples bikes and when you see something you like ask who made or where they got it. Happy hunting.

Old 05-01-2007 | 12:19 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: DirtyDave

There are many quality aftermarket companies out there that make better then OEM parts.
Exactly. There are plenty of companies that make as good or better than the HD stuff. IMO, the HD bolt on stuff isn't that great. The chrome on it is usually very thin. Most HD stuff is foreign made, probably on the same lines as the knock-off stuff.

One good thing about aftermarket accessories is that it doesn't have HD written all over it. I personally hate everything having
"Harley Davidson" written, engraved or whatever on it. People know it's a Harley, I don't need to stick the words on every piece to remind them.

Old 05-01-2007 | 01:03 PM
Stogie
Cruiser

I've bought aftermarket stuff and been happy MOST of the time. Where I see a differnce in the really cheap stuff is the chrome finish. I've had pegs rust after one season.....
Good Luck and be safe.
Stogie

Quick Reply: Original vs. Aftermarket