General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring with a Softtail or dyna for my wife, is one better than the other?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2015 | 07:21 AM
painey
Road Warrior

My wife is 5' 4" and just got a Deluxe, she loves it....Oh and a new rider with 3500 miles under her belt in 10 weeks

Old 07-30-2015 | 07:23 AM
CaptainKirk
Road Master

Road Kings have a higher stock seating position than a Street Glide. It's not much but I think the stock RK seat is wider than the stock SG seat, adding to reach for us short peeps. I think with the right lowering, seat and bars, a Street Glide would work for her. The fairing is unnoticeable to me after many years on a bike with just a windshield. Those beefier front forks on the '14/'15's make it a breeze to handle at all speeds.

Old 07-30-2015 | 08:37 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

Between the two options you laid out, I would go with the SwitchBack. All ready to tour without having to add parts such as windshield and saddlebags. In my opinion the Dynas handle and ride better than Softtails. plus, I like the 1965 retro look of the Switchback. However, as others have said, I would look seriously at a Roadking (same look as the Switchback). Lower it and change the seat and you have a touring platform that is better than either the Softtail or the Dyna. Might also check to see if the narrow outer primary off of a Limited Low will fit the King. Don't know any reason why it won't, and it would give a little more reach.

Bill

Old 07-30-2015 | 08:37 AM
dsigrist
Tourer

Originally Posted by CBud
How tall is she? I'm 5'7" and love my Road King. Hubby bought me a Clearview vented shield for Christmas--no head buffeting, no heavy fairing like a Street Glide and it handles like a dream on the highway and around town. Of course I've had it 13 years now and I am plenty used to it. Why not a Road King--it's the switchback's big brother.
My wife's 5'6" and also rides a Road King. She was taking a hard look at the Switchback (she calls it a Road Queen) but after riding it she said the natural vibration of the Dyna would drive her crazy. Other than putting on Heritage style bars and a Stage 1 it's pretty much a stock bike.

Old 07-30-2015 | 08:41 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member

I own a softail and never rode a Dyna, but I have heard by folks who have toured with both that the Dyna is a much better bike for touring. My softail is fun for about an hour. My RKC is the all day fun bike.

One other idea you might consider is an 07 or 08 touring bike. The frame is lower and lighter and you still get the 96 engine with six speed. The 08's had abs and the bigger six gallon tank.

Beary

Last edited by beary; 07-30-2015 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-30-2015 | 08:44 AM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member

Wait for the 2016 Softails to come out!

Old 07-30-2015 | 08:44 AM
tOSUSteve
Road Master

I would definitely stay in the touring family - either RK or StreetGlide

I would lean toward the streetglide since it has tunes.

Old 07-30-2015 | 08:52 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Riders Club Member

I wouldn't give up on the touring bikes. Everyone says the same thing about slow speed maneuvering but with practice it becomes second nature. My wife loves her Ultra.
Good Luck

Old 07-30-2015 | 09:01 AM
bzb123
Road Captain

wife was on a dyna that I added hard bags and floorboards to.

kept trying to push her to a touring bike.

finally got her to test drive a street glide and couldn't wipe the smile off her face. Was on an 11 SG with arnott air, and a reduced reach seat.

and, she is 5' 4" and a buck fifteen

on her 14 SGS, ended up with lower premium front, lowering kit in rear, reduced reach seat (custom molded the rear to a fastback style) and just put on a shorter kick stand to lean it over a bit more.

Old 07-30-2015 | 09:22 AM
Staylebait
Cruiser

I will follow up like everybody has said, might try out a Road King. I went from a Fat Bob to a Road King Classic, had the latter for about a month and a half now with 2 road trips under my belt. Will say they are WORLDS apart and the RKC blows away the Dyna, and was not that much more cost-wise which is about what you would spend to outfit a Dyna with touring equipment.

Only changes I would do to a RKC though is Stage 1, a better seat, and different bars (stock ones are terrible).

Quick Reply: Touring with a Softtail or dyna for my wife, is one better than the other?