General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley's Hold Their Value? I don't think so.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007 | 12:45 PM
carver
|
Intermediate
Default Harley's Hold Their Value? I don't think so.

So much for the misconception that Harley's hold their value.
I bought a 2006 Low Rider last spring 2006. I paid $17,100 (out the door). I have been trying to sell it for the past 4 months (I bought a 2007 Electra Glide). The best offer I've received so far has been $13,000. This bike is just like from the showroom floor with only 2251 miles.
I don't call taking a $4100.00 hit after one year holding it's value.

Old 04-30-2007 | 12:50 PM
RageAndMachine
Road Master
Default RE: Harley's Hold Their Value? I don't think so.

I would agreehold their value (at least to a certain extent), but they do hold way more then there metric counterparts.

Old 04-30-2007 | 12:53 PM
Biggol
Road Warrior

It doesn't help that there's a newer and bigger engine out right now than what was in your 06.

At least you have the 6speed on there to try get the $$ up.

Give it a bit - there's still dealers offering deals on brand new 06s still sitting on their showroom floor.

Old 04-30-2007 | 12:54 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member

Since the LR is about 15.8 MSRP this year, 2006 would have been a little lower. So let's say 15.5. That would mean only 2500 lower for a used ride, and you may get an offer of 13.5 or even 14 if you get the right person. That is not a bad depreciation rate, since jap bikes will lost 30% (which would be almost 5k on that MSRP).

What you paid out the door does not count. I'd lose even more based on the mods I've done.

Old 04-30-2007 | 01:01 PM
Guilty
Outstanding HDF Member

I feel your painand I agree with you. It's a matter of finding the right person that has the cash and finds value in your bike. Personally, I hate selling street bikes, dirt bikes, quads and any other 4-wheel vehicles. It seems that I always get the short end of the stick and have to suck it up and take less than I feel it is worth. I have a motto...buy high and sell low? If I was in the market for a new bike and didn't want to keep tho "old bike", I would just trade it in to the dealer and take the hit and have it off my hands. IMO, it's only the dealers who are able to sell the used bikes for close to new prices...

Old 04-30-2007 | 01:04 PM
HogBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

Yeah, keep the faith. The fact that you bought the 06 with the 07 bigger engine and 6 speed didn't help your cause.

Old 04-30-2007 | 01:20 PM
TampaJim
Road Master

How much of the $17,000 was sales tax, freight and dealer prep? You don't get nothing back for that. Also any accessories you might have added don't return much on resale.

Old 04-30-2007 | 01:25 PM
squid
Banned

You never recover the tax $ you spent,less you trade it in and pay only on the diff.

Old 04-30-2007 | 01:25 PM
old95
Road Captain

It's really tough to buy one and then try to sell within a year or so, just too many bikes out there for sale, best of luck

Old 04-30-2007 | 01:41 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

ORIGINAL: carver

So much for the misconception that Harley's hold their value.
I bought a 2006 Low Rider last spring 2006. I paid $17,100 (out the door). I have been trying to sell it for the past 4 months (I bought a 2007 Electra Glide). The best offer I've received so far has been $13,000. This bike is just like from the showroom floor with only 2251 miles.
I don't call taking a $4100.00 hit after one year holding it's value.
As others have said, you can't consider the OTD price when you are talking about value! Tax/tag/title (plus whatever other fees you got suckered into at the time) don't count towards the value of the bike, just what you paid! You take the value based on the MSRP for your bike, then compare that to the best price you get. Also, your location is going to be a big factor. Your profile says Michigan, and given the weather the past 4 months, you shouldn't be too surprised that you aren't getting alot of offers, or for very much! Then add in the fact you bought an 06, with a 6spd tranny, but 88" motor, and the 07's have a 96" motor and the 6spd. That hurts you quite a bit as well. (Just as the Evo owners when the Twin Cams first came out in 99!)

You are right on one aspect, Harley's still hold their value (especially compared to metric bikes), but not as well as they used to. Given the changes mentioned above, and the fact that HD is pumping out something like 400k bikes a year, that floods the market and lowers resale values.

Quick Reply: Harley's Hold Their Value? I don't think so.