General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda vs Harley

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 01:06 PM
JakeSabre
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Honda vs Harley

If you can turn a wrench and want to get to know the motorcycle more than just riding it, get the HD. If you want minimal maintenance time, and less of a relationship with your motorcycle, get the Honda. Personally, I have one of each, I use the Honda to run and get parts for the HD.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:00 PM
SpeedCrazy
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: JakeSabre

If you can turn a wrench and want to get to know the motorcycle more than just riding it, get the HD. If you want minimal maintenance time, and less of a relationship with your motorcycle, get the Honda. Personally, I have one of each, I use the Honda to run and get parts for the HD.
So, there's more maintenance and or problems with the HD's?

Old 05-03-2007, 09:03 PM
Hammer02
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No but they are fun to play with and you can't help but want to customize them.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:46 PM
WideGuy
Advanced

My 2 Cents:
No one should need to "convince" you to buy a Harley. I had been riding metrics most of my life (35 years) and always wanted a Harley. My issue had always been the price tag for the model I wanted. Finally put a crowbar in my wallet and purchased an 07 Wide Glide last November. Could not believe I waited this long! So far 4000+ trouble free miles. Don't know where you live but here in SC the dealers let you test drive the bikes...or better yet rent one for a few days. See if you need anymore "convincing". I personally will never look back and am shopping for another.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:23 PM
motorups
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

O'what the heck...my two cents.
First, not a good idea to ask others to tell you why you should buy a bike. Either your thinking about it or your not. If you are then you want input on things about the bike that you may find fit your style/likes.

Now to go out on the limb...
I would say, though have not checked prices, that most 'non-harley' bikes would cost a fair amount less then a harley. So if your bank account needs to save money and your buying new you will have to put that into the formula. So far as having a harley goes I figure it is like women. Most guys knowwhat they like in a women (well breathing is always good)and know why they like a girl to look how she does. For me the harley has always been what embodies what a motorcycle should look like. I won't say it out performs, handles, nor brakes best compared to other brands of bikes but then again I don't think most harley riders are looking for top honors in any of those areas. It is about a look and feel plus a state of mind.

Do though ride all you are looking at and don't be pushed into buying this or that plus find another dealer if they won't let you ride a bike. Consider renting one for a day; a $100 is very cheap compared to buying a bike you later find you do not want to own.
good luck with your quest.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:12 AM
TommyF
Advanced

ORIGINAL: L3ft2

I have had both and really love my Harley. But a Honda as a starter/ refresher bike is ok. Honestly, now that I have ridden a Harley I will not go back.

No matter what though, as long as you are riding on 2 wheels most of us will wave.
I always make it a point to wave to everyone on 2 wheels. As far as what you should buy.....buy what you are comfortable riding. Go down to the Honda and Harley dealerships and sit on a few. The only advice I would give you is to buy a used bike for your first. Not only do you save tons of money, but you can really learn on em and not completely lose your mind if you ding it or, god forbid, drop it. Also, sign up for the Morotcycle Safety Foundation Beginners course. That will wet your pallet. Plus they provide you with the bike to learn on.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:31 AM
JakeSabre
Cruiser

So, there's more maintenance and or problems with the HD's?

I have 45,000 miles on my HD DWG, 40,000 miles on my Honda Shadow Sabre, have had a lot more maintenance on my HD.

There are 3 different oils to change: engine, primary, transmission on the HD, only one on the Honda.

The electronic speed sensor on the HD went out, $60. The Honda speedo is cable driven, old skool.

On the HD, a bolt inside the primary backed out, leaked oil for a long time before I figured it out.

The magnet on the primary drain plug came off and ratlled around in my primary, thought something MAJOR was wrong, but no real damage.

Just replaced the throttle cable on the Harley, $45.

No repairs on the Honda, it just keeps runnin' with no attention.

Needless to say, I have a closer relationship with my DWG.

[align=right]
[/align]

Old 05-04-2007, 02:36 AM
1peter
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats enough advice now,i think you should buy the honda,get a red one and dont listen to anyone about harleys ever again,ok.they are big heavy,wont corner as well as the honda and you will never be happy,and they cost a lot of money.I on the other hand will get by somehow with my softail? REMEMBER GET A RED ONE!

Old 05-04-2007, 02:58 AM
cajunrph
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Bull butter about HD VS Honda Maintainance cost. HD are just as reliable as a Honda. I was a long time sport bike rider before my Low Rider. As far as performance goes, you can make the HD into any kind of performance beast you want. It just takes time and money. Way more customizing items available for Harley's vs Honda's. IMO nothing compares to a HD in the styling department. On the sport bike side Ducati has a similar following. I can sit in my garage with a cold beer and just look at my HD for a long time. My Buell doesn't keep my attention long. But why just look at Harley and Honda's. Yamaha makes much better looking bikes than Honda does, not as good as a Harley but still good. What finally made me get the Harley was knowing that Harley was the real deal. All others are trying to copy them. Never quite as good and the original.To me the Jap bikes lack soul. That Harley rumble will get you in the end. My bug was planted by my Buell and the rumble it let out. Good luck in what ever you do, and keep us posted.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:15 PM
T_Rob666
Banned

ORIGINAL: SpeedCrazy

Please help.
Obviously, I am a noob and need some input on purchasing a used motorcycle. Should I buy a Harley Sportster/Softtail or a Honda Shadow.
What are the pros and cons of both? Can you convince me to buy a Harley? Honestly though, anything else you can recommend in that type?

Thanks in advance
SpeedCrazy,
Well, I'm new to the forum too. I just bought my first Harley...07 Night Train a couple of weeks ago. I've been driving around a 2003 Honda Shadow Spirit since 03....I've done alot of work on it! Here's my Honda:

Here's my new Harley:

The Harley is A LOT different! And, by different, I mean BETTER!! The bike is awesome. I can't speak for anything else other than this Night Train, but it's VERY nice. A lot sturdier on the highways, corners great, and the power is awesome.

You have to make your own decision on this one, but YOU did come on a Harley forum and ask "what should I buy"....what did you really think everybody was gonna say? LOL

Good luck,
Tim

Quick Reply: Honda vs Harley