General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honda vs Harley

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 11:48 PM
dssides1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Honda vs Harley

Well, I'm fairly new here but I'll tell you my opinion.......I started out with a shadow 22 years ago, and have had several metric bike including 2 sport bikes, I just got my street bob 2 weeks ago, got 1000 miles on her alreadyand all I can say is HALLALUJA!! I love this new bike, it's more than I imagined it would be. But like some have said you have to get what feels good to you.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:58 PM
LAZYBOY
Tourer

i say try to ride both before you buy. of course i have to push the sportster. my brother rides a new 750 honda aero.(shaft drive)his buddy has an 883 sporty. they both seem to enjoy their bikes and will argue the virtues of both bikes. it doesn't seem to matter. just ride something. harley, harley, harley,

Old 05-05-2007, 12:01 AM
HDWG
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That is a good looking Honda I must say
ORIGINAL: T_Rob666

ORIGINAL: SpeedCrazy

Please help.
Obviously, I am a noob and need some input on purchasing a used motorcycle. Should I buy a Harley Sportster/Softtail or a Honda Shadow.
What are the pros and cons of both? Can you convince me to buy a Harley? Honestly though, anything else you can recommend in that type?

Thanks in advance
SpeedCrazy,
Well, I'm new to the forum too. I just bought my first Harley...07 Night Train a couple of weeks ago. I've been driving around a 2003 Honda Shadow Spirit since 03....I've done alot of work on it! Here's my Honda:

Here's my new Harley:

The Harley is A LOT different! And, by different, I mean BETTER!! The bike is awesome. I can't speak for anything else other than this Night Train, but it's VERY nice. A lot sturdier on the highways, corners great, and the power is awesome.

You have to make your own decision on this one, but YOU did come on a Harley forum and ask "what should I buy"....what did you really think everybody was gonna say? LOL

Good luck,
Tim

Old 05-05-2007, 12:31 AM
Two Wheeler
Intermediate

I am new to the forum, and make no claims to be an expert on metrics or HD, but like most people, I have my story. After being off any kind of bike for over 20 years I bought a new 2004 Honda Sabre 1100 in June of 2005. I had just recovered from cerivcal spine surgery, and wasn't sure if I would be able to ride anymore or not, so putting down a chunk of change on a HD was out of the question. I was happy to find that riding actually helped my back, and in November of that year made a 1500 mile round trip to VA from AL on the Sabre with no problems with my back or the bike. I had a second back surgery this past August and was off a bike till around March of this year. I decided I didn't care what the cost, I was going to own a Harley even if my riding days were numbered, so I bought a 2007 Road King Classic this past month for my 50th Birthday. Having never ridden a Harley before, I was amazed at how much of a difference there was between the two bikes. Granted, there is a big difference in the cost of the two bikes. I kept the Sabre, as my wife wants to learn to ride, and I would literally cry if she were to lay over my Road King. It took me till my50th year, but I finally got it right, and now understand what all the hype is about.

Old 05-06-2007, 12:09 AM
twisty571
Road Warrior
Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: YUCK

its like Zippo vs Bic......
exactly paper or plastic, metal or plastic in this case
I have both for sale[8D]just stay away from the 1 in the sig![>:]

Old 05-06-2007, 11:08 AM
Heritage07
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 71 Posts

Easy decision. Park any metric next to a Harley. Look intently at both bikes. Metrics just look like fake wanbes. I ride with two friends, one has a Yamaha and the other a Honda. Guess what I hear from them. “If I could afford it I would have bought a Harley!" Don't get me wrong Metrics make smooth and fast bikes. I have ridden them. My neighbor had a Yamaha that he tried to make sound and look like a Harley. He would tell me all Harleys are crap and couldn't understand why I wasted my money on a 1991 Sportster. Then one day I was outside and he comes ridding up on a 2003 anniversary Ultra Classic! Man did I bust his *****. Guess what, he will never go back. There's nothing like the original.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:02 PM
cubcake1
Tourer

I knew I wanted a HD when I bought my VTX 1800. Honda is a great bike but, its not a Harley. You will eventually get a harley so might as well start there.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:34 AM
VegasBiker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make no mistake! Harley all the way man![sm=biker2.gif]

Old 05-09-2007, 03:55 PM
alqaadir
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most of us started on a metric because we couldn't afford a Harley. I had an Intruder 1500 which most people thought was a Harley. I loved the bike, but I wanted a Harley. My advice, if you thinking of a Harley and can afford one, buy one.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:55 PM
BWLucky13
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always wanted a Honda. But, somehow the new models just don't do it for me (same with their cars and trucks). I have friends that find them reliable and very long lasting. Maybe one day I'll get mine. But in the past year, I looked at Honda 2 wheelers and 4 wheelers and went with a Harley Sportster and a Toyota.

When they build it, I will come....

Quick Reply: Honda vs Harley