General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultimate HD / Man Cave Garage

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 08:36 AM
3bc
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ultimate HD / Man Cave Garage

Any of you have a really decked out garage? I'm looking for tips, info and inspiration for really suping up my garage. I'm not looking to have plush sofas and a fully functional bar in there or anything because I actually park the cars and bike in there. But I want a functional space where I can work, and maybe have a beer with buddies while we work on a bike or just shoot the ****. What I will for sure be doing:

1. Fix concrete floor, stain it and seal it so it's nice and glossy looking
2. Insulate and drywall those parts that are not already
3. Install new lighting
4. Getting some nice tool storage, and possibly a work bench built into space

Who's done some cool stuff with their space? Anyone put heating/AC in the garage recessed lighting? Let's hear some stories / see some pics.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:45 AM
Reindeer
Supporter
Received 734 Likes on 407 Posts

I have a lot of the same ideas as you, but unfortunately have way too many other projects to actually make progress. Someday...

Old 07-09-2015, 09:41 AM
Larry the Landlord
Road Captain
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

I am building a 30 by 40 shop, if it will stop raining. Slab poured, most of the steel up.

Old 07-09-2015, 09:46 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 687 Likes on 379 Posts

I have a garage for my cars and beloved Sportster 1200T, but unfortunately no room in there for a "shoot the breeze" hangout. I do have a big-screen TV and a workbench for gun cleaning in there though!

Old 07-09-2015, 09:53 AM
Uboofer
Cruiser
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Don't forget to add a refrigerator for the beer.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:12 AM
Knutson Boltz
Banned
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I have a large attached garage that is two bays wide wide 12'x8' garage doors. On one side I have an old truck I tinker with but on the other side I added an 8'x6' alcove on the back just for tools and a wrap around bench, this is the side reserved for bikes. I started out with hand tools and have since added a medium sized compressor and bike lift along with a hydraulic jack and a bike chock for all things not jack related. I installed a large ceiling fan on the bike side. I have wireless internet so I have one laptop just for the garage that is wired to a 47' flat-screen for whatever I wish to see. A compact fridge for beverages and a backyard that faces an empty wooded lot for draining the lizard. I use several chairs for hanging around in.

The garage was in place when I bought the house, I just made it very bike friendly. I plan to install a wood stove before winter because I cannot heat that large space electrically in winter..it gets in the single digits here in the winter. Its where I am now typing this and working on bike luggage and installing an aux. power port on my bike in preparation for Sturgis.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:34 AM
digthemlows
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 07-09-2015, 10:52 AM
Bigbob88
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Paint the walls a bright white and paint the floors with gray epoxy paint and build a shed to keep all the junk in like lawn mowers and save the wall space for pictures of what ever your interested in.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:52 AM
Knutson Boltz
Banned
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I own a townhouse that I rent in Satellite Bch. Florida, used to live there. These townhouses there all have large 1 car garages. Some people used them for a garage. Some people converted them to extra rooms. Some people turned them into bars with pool tables and jukeboxes.

Before I moved back to the mountains in 2011 I noticed more and more people were converting their garages to extra rooms and then renting them to relatives...most of these folks were from the north and these room were rented to their elderly parents who give their SS money to their children and just live in their converted garage!!!

Something cool I learned in Florida: Get an old fridge and take out all the shelves except the bottom one. Cut a hole in the center of the door about waist high. Mount a tap in that hole. Now go buy a keg of beer and put it in the fridge and hook up that tap.....viola, cold beer on tap in your garage! Keep the mugs in the freezer on top!

Last edited by Knutson Boltz; 07-09-2015 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:30 AM
MajorKG
Stellar HDF Member

Received 615 Likes on 421 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigbob88
Paint the walls a bright white and paint the floors with gray epoxy paint and build a shed to keep all the junk in like lawn mowers and save the wall space for pictures of what ever your interested in.
Sweet Garage!

Quick Reply: Ultimate HD / Man Cave Garage