General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Indian motorcycles

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 11:25 PM
Trash Rat
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Indian motorcycles

Does anybody know much about the Indian brand motorcycles. I was out for a ride today, & saw a really good looking bike with a for sale sign on it. I stopped out of curiosity, & it was a 2003 Indian. The chief head on the front fender was cool looking as hell. It had an 1480cc S&S engine, & was a beautiful bike. I didn't even know they still built Indian brand bikes anymore.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:12 AM
michaelbarry
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Indian motorcycles

Yep, they still build Indians. They look REALLY nice, in my opinion...but I know nothing more than that about them.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:17 AM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, Indian is emerging from death again, this time w/the backing of the owners of Chris Craft. The late 90s/200x Indians were built by the company that formed from the CMC custom bike corporation. They are S&S motors, but you do have to watch out for the electrics and some powertrain issues.

The newest incarnation of Indian is supposed to spit out some models for 2008, so you may see a dealer in your area.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:18 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

Actually, they don't build Indians anymore. The company went bankrupt shortly after the bike you saw was built. They didn't even tell their dealers, factory workers or some of the other executives. The owner just filed unexpectantly.

Someone has bought the company again though and they are looking for dealers. They should be in production by this time next year according to the story I just read. I work for a Metric Dealership and the owner is looking into picking up a franchise.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:22 AM
michaelbarry
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't know that they had folded again. It's so weird..Indian can never make it, for some reason.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:48 AM
Sam
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: grunt

Actually, Indian is emerging from death again, this time w/the backing of the owners of Chris Craft. The late 90s/200x Indians were built by the company that formed from the CMC custom bike corporation. They are S&S motors, but you do have to watch out for the electrics and some powertrain issues.

The newest incarnation of Indian is supposed to spit out some models for 2008, so you may see a dealer in your area.
Yep, what Grunt said

Here's their website..........I think they'll have a great product this time around

http://www.indianmotorcycle.com/

Old 04-30-2007, 09:05 AM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check out the reviews Indian owners posted at this website. They had a lot of problems. It's not surprising they went bankrupt again.
http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/en...eview_list.asp

Old 04-30-2007, 09:53 AM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: dynageezer
Check out the reviews Indian owners posted at this website. They had a lot of problems. It's not surprising they went bankrupt again.
I found it interesting that in those reviews, the CMC owner had quality issues, and so did the Indians they produced. Guess quality was job none with those losers.Sad, considering thoseChiefs were mid $20s.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:15 AM
Sam
Elite HDF Member

I found it interesting that in those reviews, the CMC owner had quality issues, and so did the Indians they produced. Guess quality was job none with those losers.Sad, considering thoseChiefs were mid $20s.
As you pointed out Grunt, the quality was an issue right from the start. I think with the new company, we'll see a lot of changes, all for the good. I think if anything kills Indian this time, it will be price, if the MSRP isn't on scale with Harley, they won't sell. Hopeully they won't make that mistake again.

edit; I have to start using the spellcheck

Old 04-30-2007, 11:23 AM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Sam
As you pointed out Grunt, the quality was an issue right from the start. I think with the new company, we'll see a lot of changes, all for the good. I think if anything kills Indain this time, it will be price, if the MSRP isn't on scale with Harley, they won't sell. Hopeully they won't make that mistake again.
And hopefully they come out with their own product. I would have rather bought the Indian-looking Kawasaki than the CMC Chiefs. Or just slapped those skirted fenders on my Outlaw and called it a convertible.

Quick Reply: Indian motorcycles