General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review - FOBO Bike TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015 | 12:11 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 31,054 Likes on 11,651 Posts

PFWiz...

Thanks for the review. Too bad they don't offer a three pack for trikes. If/ when I ever have to,replace my rear tires I'm planning to add internal TPMS.

Edit: I looked on trusty Amazon. There are many different TPMS systems available. Some specifically for motorcycles, some are Bluetooth, some come with a display.

Last edited by TriGeezer; 07-22-2015 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-22-2015 | 02:22 PM
PFWiz
|
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
PFWiz...

Thanks for the review. Too bad they don't offer a three pack for trikes. If/ when I ever have to,replace my rear tires I'm planning to add internal TPMS.

Edit: I looked on trusty Amazon. There are many different TPMS systems available. Some specifically for motorcycles, some are Bluetooth, some come with a display.
One of the app's choices was for a trike so I am pretty sure they must sell a 3 dongle kit.

Old 07-23-2015 | 02:37 AM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,660 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by PFWiz
Might one inquire as to how you read a 0 - 60 psi gauge to 0.15%. Per the Naval Nuclear Power program and NQA-1 you cannot read an analog gauge to less than 1/2 it's smallest marked increment. This would equal .25 psi on your (admittedly very good) gauge. Your claim on accuracy never being worse than 0.15% (I assume of full range since you did not specify) means that you are claiming to read the gauge to .135 psi or about a quarter of the smallest increment.

Skipping all that, and admitting that you, personally do appear to have a calibrated tire gauge (with an up to date calibration), how many of the rest of us do you honestly think have one. Seriously, how many people who are not in the business (Automotive or tire engineer, racing...etc) do you think actually have a $150 calibrated tire gauge (with up to date calibration)? If they don't have that then why would they require calibrated TPMS?
Sorry, I wasn't being clear on the cal procedure. When the Moroso dial's needle sits squarely on the 10 psi incremental mark, our master gauge which has a digital pressure display resolution down to 4 decimal places, will not begin to show deflection until the pressure is changed by +/- 0.015 psi, at 68*F worst case. It is otherwise spot on accurate at every incremental mark right through to 60 psi.
Do I think everybody needs this accuracy? No, I do not, but that just happens to be this particular gauge's accuracy. I do believe however that every tire gauge sold should be mandated to be at least 2% accurate mid scale. 2% at 40 psi is 0.8 psi, that's almost 1 psi of error. Most gauges that I've checked are out far more than that. A gauge that's in error by only 5-6% at 36 psi is about 2 psi, and like I stated earlier my new front tire gets really squirrelly at 70 mph when a few psi short of 36.

Last edited by Ride my Seesaw; 07-23-2015 at 02:43 AM.
Old 07-23-2015 | 07:25 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PFWiz
OK, got the front Anchor valve stem installed and then mounted the front dongle. It doesn't look horrible. I will try to post some pics tomorrow.

I now find myself checking my tires almost every time I ride. Why? Because I can. Easy peasy.

The only down side I see is that know I am also getting a good read on hot pressures and temps. Not necessarily a bad thing, just something I am not used to which is causing me to obsess a little bit.

Yesterday with close to 90 degree ambient temps I found that front tire was reading about 25 degrees hotter than ambient and the rear was an additional 10 over that after a good ride. Is this bad? Who knows? I was never able to check the temp of my tires before on a nearly real time basis. Was the rear getting heat soaked from the engine? Again, who knows?

The front tire gained about 4.3 psi from cold to hot and the rear gained about 5.5 psi. Is this normal? Once again who knows?!? I have over 10,000 miles on my rear at this cold pressure so I assume it is normal (for my car tire)

Over all I am very happy with the ability to check my tires effortlessly. I am not sure if the app is using much battery power. None of my battery apps are complaining about it.

One improvement I would like to see on the app is a manual "Read Now" button so I could be 100% sure I was looking at fresh values..

Air pressure in tires usually change about 1 lb for every 10 degree's of temp change. its not a hard fast rule but a general rule of thumb.

so if a tire starts off at say 70 degrees, the temp climbs to 120 degrees the pressure should increase approx 5 lb. is the 120 temp normal.. i would think so. theres a lot of force on the tires that causes heat buildup. its normal. now you have a base line for what seems to be normal. if temps get too high on a similar day then you know you might have a problem somewhere. i wouldn't read too much into it or lose any sleep over it though. now if you were racing in one form or another, ie.. 2 whl or 4 whl, uniform tire temps across the tread width mean a lot.

tpms sensors in car tires are pretty accurate and read in tenth lb increments. if your regular vehicle has tpms sensors you can have a tire shop or dealer test the tpms sensors for signal output and actual press reading. if you know an actual pressure reading in a given tpms sensor you can calibrate a regular stick or dial gauge.

say the tpms sensor shows 32 lbs. your stick or dial gauge shows 33, you can mark your gauge -1..

I bought a supposed top notch tire inflator/gauge off the tool truck. i scanned a couple of tpms sensors real quick and the gauge was 3lb off, i told my tool man to give me another one. it was too far off for my tastes. the next one he gave me was dead on.

Old 03-04-2016 | 10:45 PM
Thingfish
Grand HDF Member
Received 912 Likes on 662 Posts

Thanks for the info and the review. I agree that most of us do the best we can with what we've got so using something equal to or even only marginally better is not a bad thing. In this case it may be even better than that. Most people hit their tires at the gas station once or twice a month (if they ride regularly)...Not sure how accurate those gauges are...not to mention the guy probably rode a mile or two to the pump which affects the cold pressure reading. A few years ago I bought a small portable compressor for my garage and it has made a world of difference to my tire checking habits, but again, many will not wind up taking this step. I only did it because I was going to need a way to air up my car tires after drag racing (yes, at a track). Once it was sitting on the shelf I started using it on our bikes. I can see this sensor and app being very handy for the average rider.

The following users liked this post:
PFWiz (03-05-2016)
Old 03-05-2016 | 09:12 AM
penmaker
Road Master
Received 467 Likes on 228 Posts

One improvement I would like to see on the app is a manual "Read Now" button so I could be 100% sure I was looking at fresh values.

When you bring up your bike and have the bike picture and tire pressures, up in the right hand corner of your screen is a menu icon that looks like 3 little slide adjusters. Click on that and second to the bottom is an option to clear memory. Click that and it clears the pressures shown and re-reads the pressures so you have "fresh" readings.

The following users liked this post:
ROCKOUT Rocker Products (03-05-2016)
Old 03-05-2016 | 09:26 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,637 Likes on 1,181 Posts

Originally Posted by penmaker
One improvement I would like to see on the app is a manual "Read Now" button so I could be 100% sure I was looking at fresh values.

When you bring up your bike and have the bike picture and tire pressures, up in the right hand corner of your screen is a menu icon that looks like 3 little slide adjusters. Click on that and second to the bottom is an option to clear memory. Click that and it clears the pressures shown and re-reads the pressures so you have "fresh" readings.
Good to know, thanks.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the links below...

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 03-05-2016 | 10:08 AM
ISP-FLHTK
Road Captain
Received 114 Likes on 84 Posts

On my 39' fifth wheel I installed a TPMS on all four tires. These systems are extremely accurate and I would not tow without one. I remove two of the sensors and put them on my Aluma motorcycle trailer when transporting my bike.

The MAIN reason for using an external TPMS is to be able to get an alarm when your tire begins to deflate, which in the case of my fifth wheel would cause serious damage. It is also nice to constantly monitor each tires temperature and pressure as you run down the road.

What I am getting at is that a TPMS for use on my bike that uses a cell phone app would be of no use to me, except maybe to check pressure prior to a ride.

If they ever come out with a TPMS app for my bike that will sound a loud alarm on my dash when tire pressure starts going down then I will be the first to buy one.

Old 03-05-2016 | 12:14 PM
BamaLion
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ISP-FLHTK

The MAIN reason for using an external TPMS is to be able to get an alarm when your tire begins to deflate, which in the case of my fifth wheel would cause serious damage. It is also nice to constantly monitor each tires temperature and pressure as you run down the road.

What I am getting at is that a TPMS for use on my bike that uses a cell phone app would be of no use to me, except maybe to check pressure prior to a ride.

If they ever come out with a TPMS app for my bike that will sound a loud alarm on my dash when tire pressure starts going down then I will be the first to buy one.
I mount my phone on my brake mount where I can see it if needed. Have the FOBO app installed as well.

I have found the FOBO 2-4 pounds pressure higher than checkin manually. I check pressure on the phone before every ride and at every stop. Check manually once a week or so.

Was riding about a month ago on a great fro Feb weekend afternoon. Was maybe 4 miles from home and on the interstate. My alarm went off on the FOBO app. I was doing maybe 80. I slowed down not knowing what was going on for sure. Made it to the off ramp at my exit and the rear end felt weird. Made it home and FOBO reported 0 lbs pressure. Checked it manually ... Same. Inspected the tire and found a drywall screw.

New tires later I am still a fan of a TPMS. Did it save my life? Who knows. But I wouldn't have slowed down from 80 without the alarm going off from FOBO.

Old 04-16-2016 | 10:59 AM
pearsom
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

PF Wiz
I also have a RGU with the 90 degree valves. Any problems putting the dongle on the front wheel. You did state that you had to see your Indy for the install.. Just wondering.
I really like the product and thanks for taking the time to do the review.. Much appreciated by those interested.

Quick Reply: Review - FOBO Bike TPMS