General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review - FOBO Bike TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 11:58 AM
fixedmlc
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PFWiz
I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you are just being smart *** and not an idiot.
oh no, I'm being neither. TPMS, in my opinion, is a waste. On any vehicle. Unless, of course, you don't know or won't learn how to use a tire pressure gauge.

Just another unnecessary "safety" device enabling incompetence and laziness. But you have at it if you want, I'll stick with checking my tires regularly with a gauge.

Old 07-09-2015, 01:51 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 387 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by fixedmlc
oh no, I'm being neither. TPMS, in my opinion, is a waste. On any vehicle. Unless, of course, you don't know or won't learn how to use a tire pressure gauge.

Just another unnecessary "safety" device enabling incompetence and laziness. But you have at it if you want, I'll stick with checking my tires regularly with a gauge.
If I only ever rode by myself on a little bar hopper bike like you then I might agree. That is why I specifically prefaced the review with the fact that it is very difficult to check the rear pressure on an Ultra.
Obviously you have never checked the air pressure on the rear tire of a 2009 and up Ultra. Like I said, everyone who has done it has muttered some choice names for the bike's designers. So please don't tell people who are doing something that you don't do that they are doing it wrong.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:00 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by BoonDock_Saint
With 90 degree metal valves pointed right, I don't find checking the rear tire pressure that difficult. If I need a special wrench to take these off to inevitably air up the tire, it seems like a zero sum game. I'll be interested to see your results.
I agree that the 90 degree stem makes it noticeably easier, but that is not the same thing as easy. Still have to remove the saddle bag, then roll the bike backwards or forwards until the the valve is in the correct position. Then I have to either kneel or lay down on the ground to read the pressure. If the pressure is good I then have to search for the cap and reinstall the saddle bag.

Opening an app on my phone is easier (I am all about easy) and faster.

The wrench is only required if you add air and can be operated one handed with a single half turn. Taking off the actual dongle is no harder than removing the cap.

Last edited by PFWiz; 07-09-2015 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:22 PM
fixedmlc
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=PFWiz;14191132]If I only ever rode by myself on a little bar hopper bike like you then I might agree. That is why I specifically prefaced the review with the fact that it is very difficult to check the rear pressure on an Ultra.
Obviously you have never checked the air pressure on the rear tire of a 2009 and up Ultra. Like I said, everyone who has done it has muttered some choice names for the bike's designers. So please don't tell people who are doing something that you don't do that they are doing it wrong.

Never gonna have to worry about checking pressure on a geezerglide bagger POS like you, if you are too broken down to sit and check you should hang it up, grandpa.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:02 AM
babygorilla
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts

Asshat Troll.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:37 AM
jsvt184
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need a smart phone for these, huh? Am I the only dinosaur that doesn't have one?

Might be nice if the TPM would send the signal to the bike dashboard like a car does.

Old 07-10-2015, 01:23 PM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by jsvt184
Need a smart phone for these, huh? Am I the only dinosaur that doesn't have one?

Might be nice if the TPM would send the signal to the bike dashboard like a car does.
If it got routed to the dash, that would be great, I agree. Or even have a separate small digital box mounted on dash. But one with a phone app, just doesn't have enough value to me. How many they sell will tell if people are interested though.

Also, my 14 Street Glide that's lowered isn't that hard to check with a manual gauge. So how hard can the full dresser be?

Old 07-10-2015, 01:52 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 473 Posts

I would think the value in this system really isn't for checking air pressure but rather being notified that the air pressure has dropped to a level that has previously be set.

In other words your loosing air due to a leak.
If you knew this early enough you might could either pull over safely or even get to a place for service before the bike couldn't be ridden.

Unless there's an alarm that sounds when the pressure has dropped without the app being open I'm not seeing a lot of value here for me.
Checking pressure on my Heritage isn't really an issue for me.

I've more expensive crap in my garage that I don't use than what this system cost so perhaps it's one of those "nice to have but not needed" items.

Keep up with the review and let us know what you think.

Last edited by Bluraven; 07-10-2015 at 01:54 PM.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:04 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

OK, got the front Anchor valve stem installed and then mounted the front dongle. It doesn't look horrible. I will try to post some pics tomorrow.

I now find myself checking my tires almost every time I ride. Why? Because I can. Easy peasy.

The only down side I see is that know I am also getting a good read on hot pressures and temps. Not necessarily a bad thing, just something I am not used to which is causing me to obsess a little bit.

Yesterday with close to 90 degree ambient temps I found that front tire was reading about 25 degrees hotter than ambient and the rear was an additional 10 over that after a good ride. Is this bad? Who knows? I was never able to check the temp of my tires before on a nearly real time basis. Was the rear getting heat soaked from the engine? Again, who knows?

The front tire gained about 4.3 psi from cold to hot and the rear gained about 5.5 psi. Is this normal? Once again who knows?!? I have over 10,000 miles on my rear at this cold pressure so I assume it is normal (for my car tire)

Over all I am very happy with the ability to check my tires effortlessly. I am not sure if the app is using much battery power. None of my battery apps are complaining about it.

One improvement I would like to see on the app is a manual "Read Now" button so I could be 100% sure I was looking at fresh values..

Old 07-20-2015, 01:17 PM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,660 Likes on 767 Posts

Unless each of these things come calibrated against a master gauge for accuracy over a specified psi range (which I doubt they are) then they are about as useful as **** on a bull.

Quick Reply: Review - FOBO Bike TPMS