General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 09:33 AM
ForesterBlack
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Advice

So I have the money together to buy my dream bike (though I still have to finish getting my licence haha)

Anyway, I'm going for. New 2015 street Bob and, to be honest, know nothing about the process except, like most things, there is room for negotiation.

My questions are these: what areas can I negotiate in? What fees can I expect? Any hidden costs that I don't really need? Etc.

Thanks in advance. Also, I'm based in the UK

Old 07-08-2015, 09:40 AM
woodman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 363 Likes on 361 Posts

In the States the 2016 models will be introduced in August so the 2015 models must go. Savings time here. Maybe the same in the UK.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:20 AM
Steve635
Cruiser

Sage advice is; if you're just getting your license hold off on the dream bike and buy something to practice on. Something like a Star (Yamaha) VT100 that's 5-10 years old and can be had for just a few thousand (US$) is what you need at least for the first 6 months to a year. Put some miles on it, get used to riding then lay out the big bucks on a dream bike. Those nearly inevitable rookie tip overs can be laughed off on the used bike, not so funny on the dream bike.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:12 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 658 Likes on 435 Posts

To answer the question you asked,
There are no rules, every dealer is an independent business, and operates how they operate. As you've said, everything is negotiable. Make your best deal, and be done with it. Fees to expect, depending on what is done in your locale- License and sales tax, plus a possible fees to process the paperwork. Harley might add on Freight and possibly dealer prep. Except for any license costs and sales tax, fees are negotiable. I have no idea how any of this works in the UK, each state here is different in this regard.

If the dealer is moving all the bikes they want, they may stick on MSRP, or possibly more. If things are slow, or as someone else said, the new models are coming out, they may be incented to move the 2015's. You can also try and get first service thrown in, stuff like that. If you finance, shop around for rates, but give the dealer a shot- they make money on any loans they place(at least in the US the do), so they might be more willing to give you a break on price. If you're paying for the bike without a loan (good for you!), you wont' have this as an option. Shop a few dealers in your area if there are more than one. I purchased my bike at a dealer 40 miles farther away than the closest dealer as they were easier to work with. YMWV.

Last edited by Brewmany; 07-08-2015 at 11:14 AM.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:12 AM
kngpn
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,138 Likes on 2,682 Posts

Many dealers charge more than msrp for the "Harley experience". Then all add tax, freight, admin, dealer prep, reg & title that adds up to another 2 grand or more depending on the bike. No reason anyone should be charging more than MSRP, especially since HD is apparently in a slump. Everything is negotiable.

Don't be afraid to ask for anything and don't be afraid to walk out the door. They'll still sleep tonight knowing you got a good porking, so don't worry about hurting their little feelings.. be hard and firm, but not rude.

Get the best OTD (out the door) price and don't let them dick you around with magical numbers that will just confuse the hell out of you. Get your own financing from a credit union.

Some other suggestions for the OTD price: get the price of the bike down, ask to waive or cut that dealer prep fee... ask for first maintenance free, ask for gear and gift certificates.. don't be afraid to shop around.

probably better to make this your second bike, but that's a different conversation.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:23 PM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 129 Posts

I've noticed that things work different in the Netherlands than the States.

For one, what ever the price tag on the bike says is what the price for the bike is at. There is no negotiations or room to move. Going to a different dealer for a lower price will not work either because the same model costs the same across the whole country.

If you were buying used, then every thing above can be disregarded.

Old 07-08-2015, 12:44 PM
show-n-go
Road Master
Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by kngpn
Many dealers charge more than msrp for the "Harley experience". Then all add tax, freight, admin, dealer prep, reg & title that adds up to another 2 grand or more depending on the bike. No reason anyone should be charging more than MSRP, especially since HD is apparently in a slump. Everything is negotiable.

Don't be afraid to ask for anything and don't be afraid to walk out the door. They'll still sleep tonight knowing you got a good porking, so don't worry about hurting their little feelings.. be hard and firm, but not rude.

Get the best OTD (out the door) price and don't let them dick you around with magical numbers that will just confuse the hell out of you. Get your own financing from a credit union.

Some other suggestions for the OTD price: get the price of the bike down, ask to waive or cut that dealer prep fee... ask for first maintenance free, ask for gear and gift certificates.. don't be afraid to shop around.

probably better to make this your second bike, but that's a different conversation.
On top of what he said, visit a couple of dealers to find the one that wants your business, or you can email in for a quote, some dealers around me will give a better deal shopping over the web to an out of state buyer, then take that quote and see what your local guy can do. You will know after a few minuets of chatting if the dealer is good or not. Do not go in overly excited, anytime you make a large purchase it is a business decision, leave your emotion at the door. If you buy with emotion it will cost you more...

Old 07-08-2015, 01:13 PM
gatorlaw
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 398 Likes on 124 Posts

Best advice is to visit a few dealers and have each give you an out the door price. Then start haggling and working them against each other. If they reach a price that you feel is acceptable sign and enjoy the ride, if not keep looking. It's hard to get reliable information on the Internet because many people like to claim they got a better deal than they did so that they can feel better about your purchase. All I will say is that if you get out the door at msrp or less you did good.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:06 PM
ForesterBlack
6th Gear

I can't imagine there being any huge changes to the 2016 models other than colours but yeah, maybe using the newer models as a bargaining tool could work.

I'd be paying cash.

Also, I just read something a on my local dealers site saying how any new dyna purchase would get me £750 to spend on clothing, parts and accessories, if bought and registered by the end of July.

Edit: though the SB would be my first "real bike" I have had a 125 for a while that I ride a lot.

Old 07-09-2015, 05:15 AM
bogieb
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Tip: Don't tell them you are paying cash. If it is anything like here, they may get some kickback from the loan, so will be willing to deal a little if they think they are getting it back thru the loan. Only reveal cash when /if you go talk to the financial guy. Oh, and if you want the ESP, deal on that before telling them about cash too. Cash is not king in this instance.

Quick Reply: Buying Advice