General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

damn cager got me today...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 10:43 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: damn cager got me today...

glad you are okay, and shocked, that he didn't see you. If he didnt see you coming, how could he miss you crossing right in front of his grill? Even more so, I am glad to you did not commit a criminal offense in response to his accidental traffic offense.

I haven't seen it happen in a car-motorcycle accident yet, but I HAVE arrested the victim of car-car accidents for battery, when they felt that punching a guy out was a prudent response to being accidentaly rear ended.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:44 PM
fordpartsguy
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: 1of2

He didnt know he hit you? Sorry, I have to call bullsh!t on that one.
i gotta think that too, but i did have to turn around and follow him to make him stop. i would like to think he wasn't trying to leave the scene af an accident, but ya never know... and i did have at least one witness stop to ask if i was ok, so it's not like he would have gotten away with anything. i suppose he could have been daydeaming or something...

Old 04-29-2007, 11:06 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Please tell us that you called the cops and had a report made out. If not, it's your word against his and when you call his agent a "few days later" and he hasn't paid, guess who's story the agent will already have? You guessed it. I'd tell you to pay a call to the agent or call them on the phone and let them know what happened, today is Sunday so no one's open anyway. Make the agent aware of the circumstances and tell them to take a report for their records only for now, that way, if dumbass doesn't come up with the cash, the agent will have a very timely report and the guy can't pull the old b.s that the accident never happened, etc.

Being in my job for as long as I have, relying only on the other driver's good word and promise to pay up iw worthless without a police report and some back up call to the guy's agent. I went through that with a car accident a long time ago, got rear-ended by a woman at a stoplight, blew the cassette tape (told you it was a long time ago) into the back seat and when I sent the lady my estimate, her a-hole hubby got on the phone and needless to say we got nowhere. Thankfully I'd called the woman's agent the day before and found out that the woman was a really bad driver and her carrier told her they'd drop her with one more accident.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:10 PM
akenaten
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good karma. Glad you're okay.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:10 PM
fordpartsguy
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: DGlide04

Please tell us that you called the cops and had a report made out. If not, it's your word against his and when you call his agent a "few days later" and he hasn't paid, guess who's story the agent will already have? You guessed it. I'd tell you to pay a call to the agent or call them on the phone and let them know what happened, today is Sunday so no one's open anyway. Make the agent aware of the circumstances and tell them to take a report for their records only for now, that way, if dumbass doesn't come up with the cash, the agent will have a very timely report and the guy can't pull the old b.s that the accident never happened, etc.

Being in my job for as long as I have, relying only on the other driver's good word and promise to pay up iw worthless without a police report and some back up call to the guy's agent. I went through that with a car accident a long time ago, got rear-ended by a woman at a stoplight, blew the cassette tape (told you it was a long time ago) into the back seat and when I sent the lady my estimate, her a-hole hubby got on the phone and needless to say we got nowhere. Thankfully I'd called the woman's agent the day before and found out that the woman was a really bad driver and her carrier told her they'd drop her with one more accident.
don't worry, got my bases covered there. i am a basically a trusting person, but not THAT trusting.

Old 04-29-2007, 11:54 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 249 Likes on 166 Posts

It was a bad day for me too. I was turning left into a gas station (like this truck in the below photo) and this lady pulled out just as I was pulling in. I didn't see it coming because she pulled out from behind a block wall, when I first saw her she was looking to her left and I was to her right, fortunately she saw me at the last second and slammed on her brakes and only clipped my rear turn signal. [/align]The thing that really pissed me off was she was telling me it was my fault, I wasn't signaling (she was looking the other way), and my bike has no damage. I pointed out the damage and she said she's not paying for it. We both didn't have any paper to write down information on. I was a half mile from homeso I called my wife to bring something to write on, then this lady tells me "how long is that going to take? I'm in a hurry" we finally exchanged information and I had to ask her again for her registration because the form she gave melooked like a registration form but itwas aparking evasion citationreceipt. All in all I guess it could have been worse for both of us, fortunately you also didn't get hurt.[/align][/align][/align][/align][/align]

Old 04-30-2007, 12:01 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Whether she thought you had a signal on or not doesn't matter. You were on the public thorough fare, and had the right of way to her entry. I can see her insurance company wanting to split the costs of damage tho.

Fault is an insurance company term: If they can put 40% of the fault on the other driver, they will.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:10 AM
Snort
Road Captain

Why in the world didn't ya'll call the cops and get a police report? You can still settle it between yourselves but you have a good backup just in case the responsible party decides to not be responsible.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:11 AM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 249 Likes on 166 Posts

ORIGINAL: New2Harley

Whether she thought you had a signal on or not doesn't matter. You were on the public thorough fare, and had the right of way to her entry. I can see her insurance company wanting to split the costs of damage tho.

Fault is an insurance company term: If they can put 40% of the fault on the other driver, they will.
That's what pissed me off, I was signaling and she told me I wasn't. WhenI first sawher SUV she was looking to the left, I dont think she ever looked to her right.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:46 AM
DMSC
Road Master

Yesterday must have been "THE" day for this stuff...though I didn't have any contact...it was a near miss!

Paula and I were heading to get some lunch and were riding on a two lane street near our home. There's a BBQ place with a drive though window that's parallel to the street we were on. Well, the numb nut at the window decides to pull out in the street with out looking just as we were riding by!

Luckily, the street widens at that point for turn lanes at an intersection. Otherwise, we would have been forced off the side of the road.

Then, as if he hadn't been stupid enough for the day, the same guy pulls up within inches of our fender at the light! It was his lucky day (though he was too stupid to even know it!) because Paula didn't let me jerk him out of the truck and beat him![:@]

Quick Reply: damn cager got me today...