General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question For 3/4 Helmet Wearers

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 04:49 AM
jefkat2
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Question For 3/4 Helmet Wearers

I have a 3/4 and full face flip from Nolan. The one I wear depends on the weather and temp.

2007 FLHTC.....Washington State

Old 04-30-2007, 07:33 AM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: grinner

Somewhat off-topic, but Snell approval isn't necessarily a good thing. I've done some reading on this. Snell helmets are too stiff for the kinds of crashes touring motorcyclists are likely to recover from. If I was racing, I'd wear full gear and I'd want a Snell helmet. But if I were to just fall off my bike at cruising speed and hit my head on concrete, I would RATHER have a DOT helmet than a Snell one, as my brain would get jarred less. Most of our head impacts are from about 6 feet onto concrete. Forward speed doesn't matter much unless you hit something stationary, like a left turning car. Just try not to hit it square! There's a reference to a very good helmet article about DOT only vs Snell ratings on the forum, but I'm too lazy at the moment to search for it.

After lots of research, I ordered the acc carbon fiber DOT half with leather ear covers to cut wind noise. Most people claim little wind resistance with that helment. Can't wait for it to arrive.
Please dig it up because I would love to read it.
Snell approved helmets are in a protection class by themselves. They are tested for all impact senarios and Snell approved helmets are light years safer than an ordinary DOT in ANY situation.

Old 04-30-2007, 09:24 AM
lenrough
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: George C

ORIGINAL: grinner

Somewhat off-topic, but Snell approval isn't necessarily a good thing. I've done some reading on this. Snell helmets are too stiff for the kinds of crashes touring motorcyclists are likely to recover from. If I was racing, I'd wear full gear and I'd want a Snell helmet. But if I were to just fall off my bike at cruising speed and hit my head on concrete, I would RATHER have a DOT helmet than a Snell one, as my brain would get jarred less. Most of our head impacts are from about 6 feet onto concrete. Forward speed doesn't matter much unless you hit something stationary, like a left turning car. Just try not to hit it square! There's a reference to a very good helmet article about DOT only vs Snell ratings on the forum, but I'm too lazy at the moment to search for it.

After lots of research, I ordered the acc carbon fiber DOT half with leather ear covers to cut wind noise. Most people claim little wind resistance with that helment. Can't wait for it to arrive.
Please dig it up because I would love to read it.
Snell approved helmets are in a protection class by themselves. They are tested for all impact senarios and Snell approved helmets are light years safer than an ordinary DOT in ANY situation.
SNELL approved helmets ARE NOT necessarily light years ahead of DOT helmets in ANY SITUATION!!!

Here's a VERY INFORMATIVE article that ran in Motorcyclist Magazine a year or two ago...

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/ge...iew/index.html

Old 04-30-2007, 11:54 AM
Jip
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have no windshield and always were 3/4, a loose fitting 3/4 cuts the noise in half and a tight fitting willeliminate it almost completely. I have a 1/2 but the noise is too much and I don't like wearing earplugs.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:12 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Two words...ear plugs. I wear my 1/2 with ear plugs for anything more than a short ride. Makes a big difference. I just bought my first 3/4 and I seem to get a lot more noise than with the 1/2. It must be the wind getting trapped in the 3/4 and creates a constant burbling affect. The 1/2 is my favorite helmet.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:17 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

Too funny....I didn'tsee your response and mine was exactly the same.

ORIGINAL: lenrough

Two words... ear plugs.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:17 PM
tread
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a half helmet and I wear ear plugs.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:18 PM
FLHDRIVER
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Half helmets are good around town, but for longer distances at greater speeds a 3/4 or full face are a must. This is especially true if your "on the road" (vacation) and have to deal with Mother Nature. It ain't fun getting PELTED in the face by rain (windshield or not) enroute to your next stop.

I just got 2 new Ultra Jet Helmets in black from Harley (made by HJC) to match my Ultra, My ARI's were over 5 years old and show it. The Ultra Jets come with both visors and a ratcheting face shield (interchangeable). Mostly ride with the visors and have the shields available if it gets nasty out.

Old 04-30-2007, 12:45 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member

This is the reason I got the 3/4. I keep theshield for the 3/4 in my saddle bag for longish trips. This way if I get caught in rain I can but the visor on. I don'tlike wearing my full face when it gets above 50.

ORIGINAL: FLHDRIVER

Half helmets are good around town, but for longer distances at greater speeds a 3/4 or full face are a must. This is especially true if your "on the road" (vacation) and have to deal with Mother Nature. It ain't fun getting PELTED in the face by rain (windshield or not) enroute to your next stop.

I just got 2 new Ultra Jet Helmets in black from Harley (made by HJC) to match my Ultra, My ARI's were over 5 years old and show it. The Ultra Jets come with both visors and a ratcheting face shield (interchangeable). Mostly ride with the visors and have the shields available if it gets nasty out.

Old 04-30-2007, 01:42 PM
TampaJim
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: The Dude Abides

Thanks for the tips. I do not have, and don't plan on getting a windshield.

I think I might just have to go full faceand save the half helmet for beating around town.
The big thing about any helmet is that it must fit you right or you are not going to like it.You just can't get what your buddy recommends or order something from a catalog. You have to try a bunch on, wear them for five minutes then hope for the best. If you can find a knowledgeable salesman, you are 3/4 there.

Harley dealers sell one brand and usually are not too interested in proper fit. Some of the best places I have found are metric bike dealers (particularly BMW), and aftermarket shops that cater to the sport bike crowd.

Never forget the first time I rode with a 3/4 with shield. What a differenceover 50mph !
That eventually led to a full face, but I still wear that old 3/4 in really hot weather.

And as others have said, If the wind noise still bothers you, earplugs .

Quick Reply: Question For 3/4 Helmet Wearers