General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

has anyone attended MMI or WYOTECH info apprecaited

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 04:09 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default has anyone attended MMI or WYOTECH info apprecaited

has anyone attended MMI or WYOTECH info apprecaited plan on attending one or the other after i get out. Does anyone know how long of a school MMI is i have a hard time getting info over heard do to internet resrictions

thanks

Old 04-29-2007, 05:50 PM
HogmanFLHX
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: has anyone attended MMI or WYOTECH info apprecaited

I am also looking into Wyotech. trying to find time to attend 5 days/week for 17 months.

Old 04-29-2007, 05:58 PM
wesd41
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I attended MMI in Phoenix for a year in '97 (crap, where'd the time go?).

When you get back, call their 800 number and they'll send you info on classes, tuition assistance,etc.

Basically, there's a nine month basic course that everyone has to attend dealing with basic theory (6 weeks), and then 9-12 3 week clinics covering everything from suspension and tuneups to electrical to engine rebuilds. All general stuff, with most of your hands-on on Japanese bikes.

After the basic course there are the brand specific electives (between 6 and 12 weeks each) for Japanese motorcycles, watercraft, small engine repair, and of course several Harley electives. To take the basic and Harley courses, plan on spending over a year in school.

I don't know what it costs now, but my year ran me around ten grand. OnceI got out into the real world and realized nobody (at the time) would pay more than 6 or 7 bucks an hour to start, I ended up working for the state of AZ as a corrections officer and wrenching on the side.

Phoenix is not a cheap place to live, and the school will help you find a job to support yourself while you attend, and will help you find an apartment.

Old 04-29-2007, 06:26 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior

thanks i plan on orlando it looks like the cost of living is cheaper? I keep hearing its about 24 grand now? not sure if thats all the electives or just 1. i have been tring to get info over hear but i can t get to their website for some reason. I can call but its a pain.

Old 04-29-2007, 07:00 PM
wesd41
Road Master

Don't know about the cost now- my cost was for the basic course and the Suzuki elective. I had planned to take more, but had to leave and earn a living, thanks to my ex-wife. 24 grand sounds about right if you take all they have to offer.

Old 04-29-2007, 07:53 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior

i hope thats for everything accually the longer the school the better at this point because of the GI bill. Its a bunch of bsit used to be that it would pay for your living expences and was free now we have to pay 1200 dollars andif yours schooling is more than the monthly allotment your screwed in a way.so i will also have to work. sounds like iam wining but i want to concentrate on school its full time and i signed up for the 37500 but theirs this huge catch. you only get 1300 a month if it cost more than 1300 a month like it does in some of the tech schools you have to apply for a second bill thats covers the rest but not additional living fees. It would all be good if they just paid for the full school and gave me the rest to live off of. done whining

Old 04-29-2007, 09:20 PM
wesd41
Road Master

It ain't whining. I had a classmate who retired from the army and his GI bill screwed him the same way. They say they're giving you so much for college, but it's really just an allowance to be paid out over a specific length of time, and if your school doesn't last that long, you don't get the surplus.

That was the main reason I opted out of the GI bill when they changed it years ago- that and the you-get-nothing-if-you-don't-go-school clause (whatever money you contributed was gone).

Good luck with your future plans. Hope it works out for you.

Old 04-29-2007, 10:25 PM
vette family
Advanced

I just enrolled my son, he is starting in november in Phoenix at MMI in the HD course. The course is 14 months long and runs about 24k. They can help you with tuition and housing. My son wanted to go to Orlando but Phoenix is much cheaper to live than Orlando and less ourside interference imo.

donald

Old 04-29-2007, 11:32 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Having been right where you're at with the Military and the GI bill...I'd likegive you some advice.
You are going to get further in life with a solid degree, instead of a certification. Since there isn't a Bachelors in Motorcycles that means changing to something different like computer science, engineering, or business etc.
I'm not trying to steal you away from something you love, but frankly there is not alot of jobs for these guys. And as soon as the "chopper/Motorcycle"craze starts to die down it's going to be even harder to land a good job making good money.

I'm only saying this because I wasted a bunch of my GI Bill on welding and automotive painting. 20K in fact. I made nothing.
I'm an engineer now and make three times the money for doing nothing but thinking. But I'm paying 40K back in school dues.
All I'm saying is it's important for you to spend that GI bill money wisely. But you know you should be true to your heart... if thats motorcycles then cool.

Best 1200 bucks I ever spent (GI Bill). Just wish I'd applied it to college rather than a tech school.

ok, I'll stop preaching now..

lp

ORIGINAL: hdpearson13

i hope thats for everything accually the longer the school the better at this point because of the GI bill. Its a bunch of bsit used to be that it would pay for your living expences and was free now we have to pay 1200 dollars andif yours schooling is more than the monthly allotment your screwed in a way.so i will also have to work. sounds like iam wining but i want to concentrate on school its full time and i signed up for the 37500 but theirs this huge catch. you only get 1300 a month if it cost more than 1300 a month like it does in some of the tech schools you have to apply for a second bill thats covers the rest but not additional living fees. It would all be good if they just paid for the full school and gave me the rest to live off of. done whining

Old 04-30-2007, 12:56 AM
tbone52
Road Warrior

When I went to college from 1979 to 1982, the G.I. bill was $419/mo. period. No tuition, books or living expenses. Every minute I wasn't in class I worked part time busting tires at a General Tire store and betwen semesters I got jobs with the insulators union and pipefitters/steamfitters union on plant turnarounds. My wife worked full time also. I fininshed in 3 years.

Quick Reply: has anyone attended MMI or WYOTECH info apprecaited