General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the used bike market completely dead?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 08:01 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts
Default Is the used bike market completely dead?

I listed my bike in several areas on CL a little over a month ago. The only call I got was for some person that wanted to help me sell it. What gives? I've noticed I'm not the only one that keeps relisting, as I'm starting to see and recognise other bikes have been listed as long as mine or longer. Based on what I've seen pricewise I feel I'm right at a good asking price point. There seems to be alot of dreamers that have 20 year old bikes listed for alot more then what I'm asking. I'm also willing to talk a little, but I won't give it away, but inquires are non exsistent. I don't believe the only bikes selling are brand new ones, any thoughts on that?.,,

Old 06-28-2015, 08:04 AM
gamble71
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 29,494 Likes on 9,775 Posts

despite what the media tells ya, the economy has not rebounded. Those with expendable cash, are generally going to buy new. I buy used, because I've never bought anything with wheels new. Just keep it listed, someone will buy it eventually.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:05 AM
Gas Hog 1
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Down here in Daytona Fl it is a buyers market for sure. Lots for sale, you get **** if you try to trade it in.
Gary

Old 06-28-2015, 08:09 AM
Greezey Rider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,498 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Originally Posted by big cahuna
I listed my bike in several areas on CL a little over a month ago. The only call I got was for some person that wanted to help me sell it. What gives? I've noticed I'm not the only one that keeps relisting, as I'm starting to see and recognise other bikes have been listed as long as mine or longer. Based on what I've seen pricewise I feel I'm right at a good asking price point. There seems to be alot of dreamers that have 20 year old bikes listed for alot more then what I'm asking. I'm also willing to talk a little, but I won't give it away, but inquires are non exsistent. I don't believe the only bikes selling are brand new ones, any thoughts on that?.,,

The sad fact is, if you're not getting calls, you're asking too much for the bike.
I sold an '04 Heritage last year and I was asking too much for it at first, received no calls at all so I lowered the price and put OBO in the ad and sold it within a week.

The used market is soft right now because Harley's making it easy to get financed into the new junk they're selling.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:19 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 473 Posts

Price is the only reason something doesn't sell regardless of what is it is.
You as the seller just need to figure out if the sale price is worth you selling.

If you really want to sell it, then keep lowering the price.
Eventually you will sell it for what it is worth, which at that moment in time is what someone pays you for it.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:19 AM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 215 Posts

Not selling because everyone is asking too much. When I was looking for an early deuce 3 months ago. Guys were asking between 9 and 13 for 2001 models. Insane, one is still listed at 13, the others are still listed, chasing the market down. One 04 I offered a fair price on, more then I wanted to pay, he refused as it was 2,000 less then he was asking, is now asking 500 below my offer.

Too many unrealistic sellers

Old 06-28-2015, 08:25 AM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I feel I'm right at a good asking price point.
You aren't. You might have been several years ago, but not now. What is the bike and what are you asking for? Most people are asking way to much. If you did mods, don't think of them as added value, think of them as negative value, because someone is going to have to take that stuff off if they don't like it.

I'm 1/2 way in the market for a nice EVO heritage. I've seen EVOs (late 90s) go in the 6000 range, and just saw one a guy is trying to get out from under in the 4400 range. An EVO with under 10K miles on it. I still haven't bought one because I have a bike and don't want to take up the garage space.

Originally Posted by gamble71
despite what the media tells ya, the economy has not rebounded.
This. The unemployment numbers are better, but they are rigged and the people who were out of work and got jobs, got jobs that pay a hell of a lot less than they were previously making.

Last edited by Clubber; 06-28-2015 at 08:30 AM.
Old 06-28-2015, 08:30 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider
The sad fact is, if you're not getting calls, you're asking too much for the bike.
I sold an '04 Heritage last year and I was asking too much for it at first, received no calls at all so I lowered the price and put OBO in the ad and sold it within a week.

The used market is soft right now because Harley's making it easy to get financed into the new junk they're selling.
So everyone on CL and Ebay that keep relisting their bikes are priced too high, everyone? I'm not believing that, being an asking price and a selling price are two diffent prices. Lots of people may want a new bike but have lousy credit and don't qualify for a loan, so a used bike bought with cash is their only option. The market appers dead but I'm sure if I cut my price in half I'd get interest ,but in the real world thats not gonna happen. I 'm thinking maybe the motorcycle rider world is loosing interest in the sport. The bikes I see listed aren't just Harley's. Some I've noticed have been listed longer then mine and dropped their asking prices and still their not sold. If I had some lookers and no offers I would go along with the too high price theory, but thats not the case.,,

Old 06-28-2015, 08:32 AM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

So everyone on CL and Ebay that keep relisting their bikes are priced too high, everyone? I'm not believing that, being an asking price and a selling price are two diffent prices. Lots of people may want a new bike but have lousy credit and don't qualify for a loan, so a used bike bought with cash is their only option. The market appers dead but I'm sure if I cut my price in half I'd get interest ,but in the real world thats not gonna happen. I 'm thinking maybe the motorcycle rider world is loosing interest in the sport. The bikes I see listed aren't just Harley's. Some I've noticed have been listed longer then mine and dropped their asking prices and still their not sold. If I had some lookers and no offers I would go along with the too high price theory, but thats not the case.,,
What is the bike and what are you asking?

Old 06-28-2015, 08:50 AM
Daninjax
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lots of people may want a new bike but have lousy credit and don't qualify for a loan, so a used bike bought with cash is their only option.....
Just about anyone can get financed if they have the cash for a down payment. The interest rate may be high....but if you got six or eight grand to spend on a good used bike you could drive away on a new one. Just depends on personal choice I guess. Many good reasons for buying used (I did) but also comes with some risk of course.

Quick Reply: Is the used bike market completely dead?