General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the used bike market completely dead?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 02:36 PM
hogcowboy
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

With those miles I'd have second thoughts at $5,000. To many lower mileage bikes and 09 or better. Put it on eBay and watch if you really want to get sick.

Old 06-28-2015, 02:41 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,823 Likes on 3,174 Posts

Originally Posted by amkaos
Hope not..in exactly 6 mos you gonna say how wrong you were if your wrong? ..
And if you're right, what's gonna take the place of Harley ?
Its a little off topic, but the Fed started raising interest rates this month (actually letting them find their own level,) by eliminating the mechanisms that kept them artificially low since the Administration started the bail outs. The 'recovery' is done (don't ya' know...)

So 6 months from now, the stock market may well have reacted to the interest rate rise by falling on its face (again.) We'll see.

Old 06-28-2015, 03:08 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,019 Likes on 17,916 Posts

Originally Posted by amkaos
Hope not..in exactly 6 mos you gonna say how wrong you were if your wrong? ..
And if you're right, what's gonna take the place of Harley ?
Nothings going to take the place of the harley, the markets going to adjust just like has a couple times the last 40 or so years I've been dealing with them. Everything has a life span and the explosive growth the moco has seen the last 30 years is running it's course, things couldn't continue growing like they did the market can't support the ever increasing prices they want particularly on high milage used bikes. We're a niche expensive leisure product market folks that's reality.

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 06-28-2015 at 03:10 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:11 PM
Dans03RKC
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 09 S/G Black with some extras with 18K miles...I get offers all day long for 10K I will put it in the back of my shop for that kind of money...

Old 06-28-2015, 03:16 PM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,679 Likes on 1,665 Posts

In business we have a saying: "You never win an argument with a customer".

Old 06-28-2015, 03:24 PM
byronk
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by big cahuna
Hmm, take off all the extras so it looks like the plain jane version with nothing added, and it will sell easier? the only people that I know that do that are dealers. So they can sell you a new bare bones bike and then have you come back and buy that stuff at greatly inflated peices. Yea, I don't think thats what I'm gonna do. If someone knows what things sell for they will see the value. And if they don't like something they can take it off and throw it in a bon fire once they buy the bike. I don't consider the milege 58k prohibitively high. I personelly would want a bike wit over 75 k on it, and given how many miles are really ridden by most, thats a long way off. But thanks for your input.
Your really just going to need to find the right buyer that would want a bike with all that stuff on it, most wouldnt to be honest. My pops is selling his 05 Heritage Softail on CL right now. Original owner bike thats got a ton of extras with 61,000 miles and the bike is beautiful, runs great and been well maintained. He's starting out at $8500 and hasnt had a call on it since listed 3 weeks ago, but he's not unrealistic and knows he may need to lower the price because of the high miles.

Old 06-28-2015, 04:08 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,417 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
What everyone perceives as overpricing is a side note of what really going on. Think " Market saturation " , this had been coming and anyone paying any attention the last 5 years would have seen it. Moco telegraphed it's belt tightening by all the dealer closings and consolidations and cutting off any mail order or 3rd party parts distribution except through them. Remember back a year or two ago when the big hubbub was going on with no overseas parts sales anymore ? No way in any business model any company could sustain the rate of growth the moco did with a limited buyer/product base. Only reason new bikes and dealer sold used ones are still moving is creative financing.

As has been mentioned a few times in this thread the economy isn't recovering down through all class levels, those below the upper middle class are still struggling and won't ever get back to where they were before the crash. Only people who can afford a new bike anymore are either in that upper class or over reaching on financing as the used market is showing.

Bubble is popping kiddies been coming a long time and a stagnant used owner resale market is just the beginning, used prices will start dropping but it's going to take another 6 months or longer for reality to set in just like the housing bubble when it went .

I can only speak for the market I know. Bagger people either want the latest and greatest with all the fluff (RUBS & Wannas), or are older and want new because of warranty, or they want bargains to start there own vision.
I agree about the bubble and truly expect the market to get even more saturated with SGs & RGs & the next flavor of the week in the next 2 years. I can only dream of the old days when you had an idea of what a man started with and appreciated what he made of it, not a cookie cutter world and boutique dealerships.

Old 06-28-2015, 04:17 PM
Vstate60
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MWC2014FLHXS
I found the CL add. Don't know why he won't post it so I will.

http://cnj.craigslist.org/mcy/5055290909.html

WORST PICTURES EVER!

And holy miles, Batman!

Old 06-28-2015, 04:21 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,019 Likes on 17,916 Posts

Originally Posted by TSheff

I can only speak for the market I know. Bagger people either want the latest and greatest with all the fluff (RUBS & Wannas), or are older and want new because of warranty, or they want bargains to start there own vision.
I agree about the bubble and truly expect the market to get even more saturated with SGs & RGs & the next flavor of the week in the next 2 years. I can only dream of the old days when you had an idea of what a man started with and appreciated what he made of it, not a cookie cutter world and boutique dealerships.
While I agree times change and so do the kind of people who buy, days of the old school scooter tramp will die with our generation I'm afraid. Been neck deep in the bike culture 4 decades plus and watched it evolve, one thing is constant it will always change.

Moco's downfall will be it's trying to be everything to everyone and fails to be very good at anything but pushing a new rushed model out the door to try and get a slice of every new trend that comes along. The blacked out bikes, CVO's and the 48 comes to mind here. All that started in the aftermarket custom community, why bother making something your own when you just belly up to the desk and buy one.

Old 06-28-2015, 04:57 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

I posted on here because I thought I could get an idea about how the market is in general, not to have my bike ragged on by some guys who only bought their first bike a year ago. If you want to hear some real crying , check back in a few months when the new bikes come out. Complaints about how the dealers don't offer anything for their year old bike with watercooling and the spiffy infotainment stuff, will be every other post. If you think my bike is too high try selling a year old bike when people think, for a little more I can buy new. I don't get it a 10 year old bike with a fair asking price, and everyone thinks I should cut the price in half and give it away. But when their bikes are for sale they want full retail plus 10%. Two things make me feel better 1, How much money is in my pocket every month whenever I ride next to a guy with a new bike. 2, I don't NEED to sell it . I can put it away and give it to my grandson .,,

Quick Reply: Is the used bike market completely dead?