General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the used bike market completely dead?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 01:38 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

Originally Posted by big cahuna
How does having supposed low miles on a bike do anything for it it spends its life parked? If it's not milege, it will be something else a prospective buyer will say why whatever your asking is too much. People just want everything for nothing these days. and will throw out bs reasons to try and get it.,,
I don't know why it is hard to understand. I bought an '03 in '11. With 2k miles on it. It looked like a new bike. This winter I had dealer go through it and fix everything, do the SE tensioner upgrade, and put new tires on it. But with 32k it has less value, than if it had 12k. Just a fact.

And you still didn't address the tensioners? And why would you want a bike with over 75k? Why did you bother to ask for advice, if you don't listen to any of it?

Old 06-28-2015, 01:42 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 861 Likes on 651 Posts

Forum members have brought forward some ideas that might help facilitate a sale.
Ideas such as pricing ($9,500 seems in range), wording, addition of information, detailing of pictures and making the bike less personalized.
There is a reason why marketing folks get paid to bring results.
You have requested and received information from the targeted demographic.
It seems like it would cost you nothing to try the suggestions.
Look online at some professional spreads of used bikes at dealers.
A buyer does not want to waste time..
Time is of great value to most folks.
For example: picture of the speedometer showing miles, tire tread depth, tire date code, vin #, critical components, close-up of gas tank, the successful dealers show every detail possible.
Most folks do not want to be wasting an afternoon to see someone about a bike to gather more information.
The reality is that you are competing against a dealer.
The dealer has a formula.
The general population will spend an extra $2,000 at a dealer for the same exact bike because they feel better about it.
The dealer gives them some feeling of security and can offer some financing.
The bikes in dealers are set-up in most cases to increase the buyer pool.
Your goal is to make the bike look like a dealer bike in wording & pictures but at a tremendous value.
It is a nice bike but it is not showing well.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:43 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

What you spend fixing you bike is of no concer to me. I asked about the used bike market. I never said I wanted a bike with 75 k miles on it. Are you responding to the wrong post?.,,

Old 06-28-2015, 01:43 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 49,019 Likes on 17,916 Posts

What everyone perceives as overpricing is a side note of what really going on. Think " Market saturation " , this had been coming and anyone paying any attention the last 5 years would have seen it. Moco telegraphed it's belt tightening by all the dealer closings and consolidations and cutting off any mail order or 3rd party parts distribution except through them. Remember back a year or two ago when the big hubbub was going on with no overseas parts sales anymore ? No way in any business model any company could sustain the rate of growth the moco did with a limited buyer/product base. Only reason new bikes and dealer sold used ones are still moving is creative financing.

As has been mentioned a few times in this thread the economy isn't recovering down through all class levels, those below the upper middle class are still struggling and won't ever get back to where they were before the crash. Only people who can afford a new bike anymore are either in that upper class or over reaching on financing as the used market is showing.

Bubble is popping kiddies been coming a long time and a stagnant used owner resale market is just the beginning, used prices will start dropping but it's going to take another 6 months or longer for reality to set in just like the housing bubble when it went .

Old 06-28-2015, 01:44 PM
amkaos
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

How does having supposed low miles on a bike do anything for it it spends its life parked? If it's not milege, it will be something else a prospective buyer will say why whatever your asking is too much. People just want everything for nothing these days. and will throw out bs reasons to try and get it.,,
So you're from new jersey?
You admit to being a different breed or is it the rest of the world?
Maybe it's the world but still you wanna deal with all these wrong ppl or wait
For the one who is right for you?

Old 06-28-2015, 01:47 PM
fixedmlc
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't feel the milage is too high heck it's a bike that gets ridden. if youve sold many items on cl you already know you will get alot of window shoppers who will waste your time looking at the most minute things and asking dumb questions. Then want to test drive it with no money in their pocket. Throw a leg over it and kick the bags or tour box, before throwing the low ball of all lowball offers at you because the bike is 10 years old and doesn't look like it just rolled off the showroom floor. My bike is is 10 years old and has normal wear and tear. If someone is really interested in the bike they will get off their *** and come see it. the pictures show enough detail if you have an idea about what your looking at. I put items on my bikes to suit me for how I plan to use it. The lowers while they didn't come on a Road King , But make a world of difference in winter over not having them. Try riding without them in 20 degree weather for 200 miles. Very few guys on here will complain about having a drivers back rest, and a radio is a must for long rides. Listening to just a motor drone on for miles will put me to sleep. If your the type that rides 30 miles to a bar for the day, my bike wouldn't be for you. But do you think adding some of those flashing multi colored lites under the fenders add a couple hundred dollars to the value? .,,
Your reply is exactly why it's not selling. You don't want opinions or help, you want an argument. I offered you the perspective of a potential buyer, and you fire back how wrong I am. I'll retype what I removed because it's relevant.

Dealers do take stuff off. They sell bikes. Lots of them. In every kind of market.

I really do hope you find that one-in-a millon buyer who thinks that your bike is set up perfect and is worth what you want. All I tried to do was offer you a broader perspective instead of that one. In a million.

Good luck.

Oh, and to your original question: No the market is not dead. You're killing it for yourself.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:48 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by im
Forum members have brought forward some ideas that might help facilitate a sale.
Ideas such as pricing ($9,500 seems in range), wording, addition of information, detailing of pictures and making the bike less personalized.
There is a reason why marketing folks get paid to bring results.
You have requested and received information from the targeted demographic.
It seems like it would cost you nothing to try the suggestions.
Look online at some professional spreads of used bikes at dealers.
A buyer does not want to waste time..
Time is of great value to most folks.
For example: picture of the speedometer showing miles, tire tread depth, tire date code, vin #, critical components, close-up of gas tank, the successful dealers show every detail possible.
Most folks do not want to be wasting an afternoon to see someone about a bike to gather more information.
The reality is that you are competing against a dealer.
The dealer has a formula.
The general population will spend an extra $2,000 at a dealer for the same exact bike because they feel better about it.
The dealer gives them some feeling of security and can offer some financing.
The bikes in dealers are set-up in most cases to increase the buyer pool.
Your goal is to make the bike look like a dealer bike in wording & pictures but at a tremendous value.
It is a nice bike but it is not showing well.
if I was asking $20,000 for the bike I might take a few more steps in the proscess. But being thats not the case and I've sold alot of bikes doing exactly what I'm doing now, I see no reason to go ***** to the wall for such a low value sale. A dealer has more of an incentive to take glamor shots and write beautifull stories about the bike but come on, it's a bike not a wedding dress.,,

Old 06-28-2015, 02:03 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

I personelly would want a bike wit over 75 k on it, and given how many miles are really ridden by most, thats a long way off. But thanks for your input.
Goodbye.

Old 06-28-2015, 02:18 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 898 Likes on 518 Posts

I personelly would want a bike wit over 75 k on it . . .
Well, your problem is solved - you're almost there! Just keep the bike.

Old 06-28-2015, 02:31 PM
amkaos
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
What everyone perceives as overpricing is a side note of what really going on. Think " Market saturation " , this had been coming and anyone paying any attention the last 5 years would have seen it. Moco telegraphed it's belt tightening by all the dealer closings and consolidations and cutting off any mail order or 3rd party parts distribution except through them. Remember back a year or two ago when the big hubbub was going on with no overseas parts sales anymore ? No way in any business model any company could sustain the rate of growth the moco did with a limited buyer/product base. Only reason new bikes and dealer sold used ones are still moving is creative financing.

As has been mentioned a few times in this thread the economy isn't recovering down through all class levels, those below the upper middle class are still struggling and won't ever get back to where they were before the crash. Only people who can afford a new bike anymore are either in that upper class or over reaching on financing as the used market is showing.

Bubble is popping kiddies been coming a long time and a stagnant used owner resale market is just the beginning, used prices will start dropping but it's going to take another 6 months or longer for reality to set in just like the housing bubble when it went .
Hope not..in exactly 6 mos you gonna say how wrong you were if your wrong? ..
And if you're right, what's gonna take the place of Harley ?

Quick Reply: Is the used bike market completely dead?