General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the used bike market completely dead?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 12:56 PM
shineola
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I watch the market daily .... And it is down for sure , best advise as already stated is strip the extras off and sell the separate . The best way to sell anything with wheels and a motor is to have it highly detailed ( cleaner than when it was new ). Take some quality pics as stated, and like anything, price it correctly and you should have no problem selling it . like mentioned many times here...... We have a soft market now , but to see the miles on that bike .... Next thing in the ad they look for is the price. Good luck as it appears to be a nice bike.... But you need to spend 10 hrs on a clean up ..... Great thread tho i am glad you posted it as it has great value to see people's different perspectives on buying and selling

Last edited by shineola; 06-28-2015 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 12:58 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,184 Likes on 1,803 Posts

I always keep an eye on local classifieds....as I'm interested in a springer softail...Evo powered.

I have a friend that flips bikes...buys older ones, fixes up, sells, repeat...repeat.

We always talk about bikes we see in the classifieds.

The bikes we see STILL for sale...are asking too much.
Bikes listed for a good price....they well.
Just like everything else in the classifieds.

I listed my prior Harley in CL....had it sold within 3 or 4 days.
Bought my current Shovel from CL.

It's not dead. IMO, people that have a tight budget and that want a bike, will buy used, not new. I don't have the money to buy new...there's no way I'm paying 10+ grand for a bike.

It's all about studying the market, watching it, learning, educating yourself on what realistic prices are..and going from there.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:04 PM
fixedmlc
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Removed

Old 06-28-2015, 01:09 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by fixedmlc
As someone who just spent a lot of time selling and shopping, I'll offer honest feedback no offense meant by any of it.

$9500 for a bike with 58k is way too much when there are much lower mile bikes out there. I am not going to tell you what to price it at, just that as someone looking and seeing 58k miles, thats way more than I would consider spending for it.

No tire kickers is a turn off for people looking at ads. Take that out. Add in obo, says to a buyer you want to sell it.

When I look at the pics, I see a nice bike that is yours. Take off all the extras so I can see the canvas, then take pics of the extras so I can think about what it would look like with them on it. I know, you can show through pics, but like I and others have said, I'm looking at your mods already done, not what I could do to it.

Hope I can help a little.
I don't feel the milage is too high heck it's a bike that gets ridden. if youve sold many items on cl you already know you will get alot of window shoppers who will waste your time looking at the most minute things and asking dumb questions. Then want to test drive it with no money in their pocket. Throw a leg over it and kick the bags or tour box, before throwing the low ball of all lowball offers at you because the bike is 10 years old and doesn't look like it just rolled off the showroom floor. My bike is is 10 years old and has normal wear and tear. If someone is really interested in the bike they will get off their *** and come see it. the pictures show enough detail if you have an idea about what your looking at. I put items on my bikes to suit me for how I plan to use it. The lowers while they didn't come on a Road King , But make a world of difference in winter over not having them. Try riding without them in 20 degree weather for 200 miles. Very few guys on here will complain about having a drivers back rest, and a radio is a must for long rides. Listening to just a motor drone on for miles will put me to sleep. If your the type that rides 30 miles to a bar for the day, my bike wouldn't be for you. But do you think adding some of those flashing multi colored lites under the fenders add a couple hundred dollars to the value? .,,

Old 06-28-2015, 01:10 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I somewhat agree with the others with you may have to lower the price to make it move. I sold my wife's 89 heritage for 6300 and asked 6500 . it had 44000 km on it and was mint. If I didn't have another bike lined up ready for pickup I would have asked more but wanted it gone. I will have to lower the price of my 89 flht to 6500 to get it sold. I think your price is fair.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:11 PM
Daninjax
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

58k may not be an exorbitant amount of miles .....but as others have said there are a lot of garage queens out there with a lot less. I know it would make me scroll past..JMHO.

Old 06-28-2015, 01:16 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,417 Likes on 1,585 Posts
Old 06-28-2015, 01:19 PM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 215 Posts
Old 06-28-2015, 01:22 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

How does having supposed low miles on a bike do anything for it it spends its life parked? If it's not milege, it will be something else a prospective buyer will say why whatever your asking is too much. People just want everything for nothing these days. and will throw out bs reasons to try and get it.,,

Old 06-28-2015, 01:29 PM
Angelfire36
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I listed my Sportster on CL and got no responses. I was just about to give up when I got a call from a dealer I had tried to deal with a few months prior. They were so desperate to sell a new bike (the one I wanted), so they gave me my asking price to trade in my Sportster. Surprised the heck out of me! I know it sounds strange, but have you contacted a dealer to see what they will give you?

Quick Reply: Is the used bike market completely dead?