General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the used bike market completely dead?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2015, 11:01 AM
hogcowboy
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

If you can afford to buy ANYTHING right now you are one lucky dude. Every blasted penny I have goes for food, fuel, house payment and utilities. Retired so barely making it. And not retired because I wanted to. But because my employer is reducing headcount. Can't get a job anywhere cause I'm the wrong color now. So until we have a president that wants America to grow instead of die, you aren't going to see much being bought except from the richer side and they generally trade for new.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:10 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,375 Likes on 5,506 Posts

Not dead but a lot of product on the market. This is not the 90's for motorcycle sales

Old 06-28-2015, 11:14 AM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 241 Likes on 161 Posts

Ok, let me ask a couple of things. 1) How much would YOU pay for my bike and 2) What did you sell your bike for recently. year, make, and model. 3) how long did it take you?.,,

Old 06-28-2015, 11:19 AM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts

Another thing to remember is that significant upgrades have been made to the touring line. A frame change in 2009, 103 engine standard in 2012 and the Rushmore upgrades in 2014. Your bike is a dinosaur.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:22 AM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

With Respect;
It's not that complicated, it's been spelled out for you a couple times,
It's a Buyer's market. Not a loss of retail because of the bike,, it's market driven.
You would be better off selling in the early spring when folks want bikes,, it's like here in Minn you can't get a decent price for a Snowmobile in August or for a Boat in January.

I bought my bike last year off a local CL,, after an exhaustive 3 month search of every possible local venue including dealers, private party, national and local auctions.
I would not have even looked at your bike or bothered contacting you for your listed price. There where/are simply too many other options for me as a buyer.
(Here's the mind set of a buyer)
I don't care about the options you like, It's going to be my bike with my options.
It's not my responsibility as a buyer to help finance your new purchase.
It's pre-07 and going to need $1700-2000 worth of camchain and tensioner sometime.(throw in an oil pump while it's open) Anyone seriously looking for an HD knows this.
I darn near jumped on a 01 RK for $7,800,, the guy had all the receipts for work already done to the bike. He had a local indy shop list it on an auction site and I had the high bid at his asking price,, the owner got a little greedy, joined the site and upped the bid by 200 wanting to get more.
He "won" the bidding for his own bike.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:23 AM
MRFREEZE57
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,734 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by big cahuna
I'm not taking offence. I'm not trying to force anyone to do anything, I just can't believe the complete lack of interest not only in my bike but others as well. I can keep my bike as it's paid for and still gets used. I will tho have to think hard about buying another Harley if resale is this bad. I'm not into the buy high and sell low way of selling things. I'm not saying I want every penny I spent back, but my bike has more features then most, and there not chrome, or paint, or handlebars. Just like when you buy a car, truck, boat or whatever, the more goodies it has should help it resell better/ easier. To spend 24k for a popular bike, and then have to sell it for 75% less then what you paid for it doesn't make sense to me.,,,
in most cases, the largest cost of owning a motor vehicle is the depreciation, that is why I keep motorcycles and automobiles for at least 10 years.with that said, most anything can be sold if the price is attractive enough, even in a buyers market. guess that all depends of how bad one wants to sell.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:25 AM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Ok, let me ask a couple of things. 1) How much would YOU pay for my bike and 2) What did you sell your bike for recently. year, make, and model. 3) how long did it take you?.,,
1. I wouldn't. It's an early twin cam with a potential cam chain tensioner problem (catastrophic failure with no warning) and has the old frame which has a wobble issue. I know people don't like to hear that about their baby, but it is what it is.

2. My sale post

3. About a day to get a commit. I could have asked for 2-3 thousand more maybe, but to me, it wasn't worth the hassle.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:26 AM
MRFREEZE57
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,734 Likes on 2,133 Posts

Originally Posted by 01fxdxt
Many Harley owners reaching an age where they no longer ride ,so decide to sell.Market is flooded in many areas.Also young men would rather yap on phone that costs hundreds each month than buy and ride an older motorcycle they have absolutely no clue about.
that is a sad reality. seems a large part of the 40 and under crowd, their recreation and pass time is playing around with their new I phone or other electronic device. seems like such a waste of life.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:30 AM
steel insane
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

'05 Road King Classic, Asking $9500.
Actually you are in the middle of the Kelley Blue book value range. I'd re-list it with an OBO but I doubt I would go any lower than $9000.

Sometimes folks need to feel like the got a deal buy haggling.

Looks like a nice bike - how many miles? Any issues?

Old 06-28-2015, 11:31 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 162 Likes on 128 Posts

Watch youtube videos and read threads about how people abuse their bikes.

Now would you buy someone else's problems?

Quick Reply: Is the used bike market completely dead?