General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the used bike market completely dead?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 08:50 AM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by big cahuna
I posted on here because I thought I could get an idea about how the market is in general, not to have my bike ragged on by some guys who only bought their first bike a year ago. If you want to hear some real crying , check back in a few months when the new bikes come out. Complaints about how the dealers don't offer anything for their year old bike with watercooling and the spiffy infotainment stuff, will be every other post. If you think my bike is too high try selling a year old bike when people think, for a little more I can buy new. I don't get it a 10 year old bike with a fair asking price, and everyone thinks I should cut the price in half and give it away. But when their bikes are for sale they want full retail plus 10%. Two things make me feel better 1, How much money is in my pocket every month whenever I ride next to a guy with a new bike. 2, I don't NEED to sell it . I can put it away and give it to my grandson .,,

1. Lots of folks on here are long term riders. Personally, I've been riding over 40 years and have most likely bought and sold more vehicles than you will ever own.

2. Didn't see any real ragging. It's a nice looking bike, just priced a little high.

3. Seriously, too much trouble to take some decent pics? Come on, the pictures get the initial interest. Don't bitch about selling your bike if you are not willing to experiment a bit.

4. Lose the ****ing attitude. Don't come on here asking for advice then bitch because people give it to you.

This is for those out there bitching about his miles and "old" frame:
50k+ is not a lot of miles: I know that. I bought my last RK with that much on it and have put around 30K more on it in the last two years, no issues and I ride my bike like I stole it. Personally, I like the old frame with the narrower back tire because it looks more like my old shovel, but I do have an 08 with the improved engine mounts, so it's not as flexy. Newer is not always better.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:58 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 11,117 Likes on 4,351 Posts

Originally Posted by PapaThiele
I think that your bike is not selling because the audience for what you have is very narrow.

THAT!
Plus, slow economy, plus time of year.
I agree with the folks that say take ALL the extras off and take better pics.
Make her look sporty instead of like a "garbage barge" (No offence meant).
Your extras, while useful and seemingly in very good condition detract from the bike IMHO. Be willing to make deal with or without extras.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:29 AM
Daninjax
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jakenok
50k+ is not a lot of miles....
Maybe not. More than likely depends on how those miles were accrued. But buying used, even from perhaps the most honest person, the buyer has no way of really knowing that.

If you had two nearly identical bikes, same year, etc. and both for about the same price. One has 58,000 miles and the other 11,000....which one would you be more inclined to spend your money on? Just saying for most of us, mileage is an important factor...whether it be bikes, cars, trucks, etc.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:41 AM
subguy
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in the market for a Road King (within my local area). I have been riding 45 years and Harleys the last 36 years. I do all my own work and can rebuild a Harley. Mileage does not bother me as long as the bike shows it has been maintained.

I like your bike. I like the color, I like the tour pak, I like the seat back, I like the lowers you added (having had a 2007 UC, I like the lowers for the cold) and they match the color of the bike. I in fact would give you a little extra just because I would want those options you added and I know what they would cost me to add and they would be something I would do anyway. I would be your target buyer in your neck of the woods.

That being said, I would not consider your bike (or even contact you) if you were in my neck of the woods because you have it listed for too much for the year/miles and do not say if the cam change tensioners have ever been changed out (since it is not mentioned I would assume they haven't as it would definitely be a selling point to those of us who know about the issue). That's the sum of it.

Just giving you my opinion as someone looking for a used RKC.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:49 AM
0maha
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,679 Likes on 1,665 Posts

Originally Posted by jakenok
most people are focused on miles and the mythology that any HD is going to need a new top end (at least) by 80-100K. That's not true, but that is how most people think. Throw in that there are so many low mileage bikes out there (since there are so many low mileage riders) that it reduces your value, even if it is in top notch shape.

You can argue that 58k is not a lot, but the marketplace disagrees. Fair or not, correct or not, buyers prefer low miles.

And a big shout-out for including a quote from Camus in your sig! Nice.

Originally Posted by Shaved Ice
To the OP:
You're right the bike market is completely dead. You are doing everything right. Your bike's mileage and accessories are what everyone else would want if they knew better. Your ad's pictures look incredible and the comment about no tire kickers is sure to draw in potential buyers. Your price is right, in fact, underpriced. Your attitude sounds like just the kind of guy I want to buy a bike from. EVERYONE else is wrong. There, do you feel better?
Perfect.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:56 AM
Daninjax
Cruiser

Originally Posted by subguy
I'm in the market for a Road King ....

Just giving you my opinion as someone looking for a used RKC.

Not sure where the 'opposite side of the planet' is ....but here's one in my neck of the woods that caught my eye:

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcy/5064785788.html

Old 06-29-2015, 10:14 AM
Daninjax
Cruiser
Default You got it

Originally Posted by 0maha

You can argue that 58k is not a lot, but the marketplace disagrees. Fair or not, correct or not, buyers prefer low miles.
Exactly.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:40 AM
warprints
Road Warrior
Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

The value of an object is the price someone is willing to pay, not the price you are willing to sell for. If the bike is worth more to you than you are willing to sell it for, guess what, you are the highest bidder on your own bike.
I'm in that situation now myself. Have a bike I don;t ride much, but it's really not worth it to me to sell it for the price I'd get.

Old 06-29-2015, 10:58 AM
SpaceReapersNOLA
Road Captain
Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

I can say I am also his target demographic, I dont finance anything, if I cant buy it outright with cash I dont own it. I bought an 04' road king custom in November, 20,000 miles, near show room condition with a whole bunch of extras including just about every chrome do-dad that can be bolted to a bike. I researched and hunted for the right deal for about a year and when I saw this bike for $8500 I jumped on it.

That being said 20,000 miles almost scared me off of the deal, I would not have called about a bike with 50,000 miles unless it was a lot cheaper then other Road kings in the area. There are just too many garage kings with under 10k miles out there.

I think the best advice anyone can give you is, pull off the add-ons and sell them in the classifieds here and relist your bike with a lower price, then lower your price $500 every week until it sells.

Also, as you can see in my sig pic I promptly took off every add-on and bolt on chrome piece and rebuilt the bike with my style, I think most people will do the same.

Last edited by SpaceReapersNOLA; 06-29-2015 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:32 AM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Another thing is the 2003-2007 were over produced by the moco, something like 450,000 bikes a year. Harley recognized after the crash that they needed to reduce production to retain premium price.

I feel the price is not bad for a garage queen. For the miles it has, $8k is more likely.

Look at recently sold bikes on ebay for what they are actually selling for. The ones in green sold.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...g+&_sacat=6024

Here are 2009s with the bigger motor, six speed and new frame. Four of them are cheaper than $9000. And the one with 58k miles for $9500 did not sell.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...ic&_sacat=6024

Quick Reply: Is the used bike market completely dead?