General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the used bike market completely dead?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 07:00 AM
Daninjax
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Greezey Rider

That's a little over the top....Just because you have your bike priced too high and can't sell it doesn't mean that "the motorcycle rider world" is losing interest.

Agreed. Judging from the full class sessions for the Basic Motorcycle Course I took recently...most weekend slots for around the time I took it were full...I don't think there is a lack of interest. But new riders and younger riders are going for sport bikes or if they want to start on a Harley then a Sportster, like I am. A large used bagger is probably a hard sell regardless. Where as a nice, reasonably priced Honda Rebel 250 gets snapped up rather quickly on CL, based on my personal obsvervation anyway.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:10 AM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

IMO, put personality aside.....it's a matter of economics. Keep lowering the price until it sells.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:56 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

I'm not sure the used bike market is dead.

This year I've sold two used bikes and bought one. The bikes I sold, sold quickly, but involved pricing from a prospective buyers POV. One had over 60K miles, the other almost 100K. Both had been purchased new and very well maintained. However, they had more miles than the typical buyer would be comfortable with. Both were marketed to, and priced to appeal to a slightly less affluent buyer. Also, both had easily removable add-ons that I didn't think would add to the price and that I removed to sell on ebay. I haven't gotten around to that yet, but I will.

The used bike that I bought was a well accessorized late model with less than 5K miles. I negotiated a price with the dealer just slightly above low retail with no consideration given to the accessories. The negotiation involved no "high-balling", "low-balling" or threats to walk out. In other words, no drama. The dealer made an initial offer and I countered with one $500 less and it was accepted.

I think these three transactions were completed successfully because I tried very hard to put myself in the position of the buyer when I was the seller, and in the position of the seller when I was the buyer. The bike I bought was being sold by a salesman with no emotional attachment to the machine. There was a number he was able to get to, and a number I was willing to pay.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:11 AM
hogcowboy
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Is it possible you are seeing the impact of Indian to the market place? There does seem to be an overload of used Harleys. Indian giving wholesale trade-ins which lowers the whole market plus Harley lowered the market value when the 15 came out themselves. I wish I was in the market because it is a buyers market for the first time in a long time. Figures I'd be on the wrong side. I see plenty of very good well priced low mileage bikes for sale. Bargains really.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:18 AM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member
Received 116 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by big cahuna
I'm not taking offence. I'm not trying to force anyone to do anything, I just can't believe the complete lack of interest not only in my bike but others as well. I can keep my bike as it's paid for and still gets used. I will tho have to think hard about buying another Harley if resale is this bad. I'm not into the buy high and sell low way of selling things. I'm not saying I want every penny I spent back, but my bike has more features then most, and there not chrome, or paint, or handlebars. Just like when you buy a car, truck, boat or whatever, the more goodies it has should help it resell better/ easier. To spend 24k for a popular bike, and then have to sell it for 75% less then what you paid for it doesn't make sense to me.,,,
That, unfortunately, is the way of the world, especially in vehicles. Way to many new ones available always drives down the price of used. Easy to buy new now days too. Just be glad you didn't buy a metric cruiser: the market is even softer. Another thing is, most guys with a nice HD think it's worth more that it really is worth. It's not the old days when the factory had a waiting list at dealers for new bikes. Older bikes are falling off the end of the spectrum.

Not just bikes; look at cars. Here's an example: I was recently given a car by my brother, a 1995 Mercedes Benz S 420, top of the line body style back in the day, every option, excellent shape, one owner just turned 100,000 miles. It cost about $73, 000 new. It's worth right around 3-4 K now. Things depreciate, no matter how nice they are and what you think of them.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:22 AM
PapaThiele
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,707 Likes on 2,158 Posts

I think that your bike is not selling because the audience for what you have is very narrow.

What I mean is a Road King is sought because it is a stripped down bagger, so-to-speak. You have taken that stripped down bagger and made it a full dress (or almost) bagger which is the opposite of what people are usually after when seeking a Road King.

So, is the market dead? Not the Used HD market as a whole but you are in a sub-market of that market.

This is advice, which you did not seek and was not part of your post...Maybe take pics without the add-ons and price it on 2 levels...X with add-ons, Y without.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:33 AM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member

I don't feel the milage is too high heck it's a bike that gets ridden. if youve sold many items on cl you already know you will get alot of window shoppers who will waste your time looking at the most minute things and asking dumb questions. Then want to test drive it with no money in their pocket. Throw a leg over it and kick the bags or tour box, before throwing the low ball of all lowball offers at you because the bike is 10 years old and doesn't look like it just rolled off the showroom floor. My bike is is 10 years old and has normal wear and tear. If someone is really interested in the bike they will get off their *** and come see it. the pictures show enough detail if you have an idea about what your looking at. I put items on my bikes to suit me for how I plan to use it. The lowers while they didn't come on a Road King , But make a world of difference in winter over not having them. Try riding without them in 20 degree weather for 200 miles. Very few guys on here will complain about having a drivers back rest, and a radio is a must for long rides. Listening to just a motor drone on for miles will put me to sleep. If your the type that rides 30 miles to a bar for the day, my bike wouldn't be for you. But do you think adding some of those flashing multi colored lites under the fenders add a couple hundred dollars to the value? .,,

"I put items on my bikes to suit me for how I plan to use it. "

That is part of the issue. Consider at least taking that stuff off and try to sell it. You'll be surprised. The add ons, even HD ones do not add as much value as you would think, especially if it makes the bike look appreciably different than stock.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:34 AM
phillyrube
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Huskers
Nobody ragged your ride. You solicited advice on the general used Harley market.

People here tried to convey to you that your bike was set up for a very specific type of rider. You argued that it wasn't.

People here offered advice on how to spruce up your ad to get any where near your asking price. You argued that it wasn't necessary.

People here offered advice on the general overall Harley used bike market. You argued that isn't what you wanted to know. See above for the contradiction.

You just simply want too damn much money for what your area sees as a used up geezer glider. Plain and simple truth put in plain and simple terms.

What you really wanted from your original post was for someone to justify your overpriced 10 year old bike and argue with everyone else who "has just been riding for 1 year" or some other condescending presumptuous BS because you have done this before and no one knows but you.

Well, a lot of us have done this before with success. I wish you success and I am sure your grandson will love his bike. For me, I just sold a bike for what I asked for it but I used the techniques put forth earlier in this thread including knowing my market.

Much luck to you.
If nothing else, it did cause me to loo at my ad and make adjustments.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:37 AM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member

How does having supposed low miles on a bike do anything for it it spends its life parked? If it's not milege, it will be something else a prospective buyer will say why whatever your asking is too much. People just want everything for nothing these days. and will throw out bs reasons to try and get it.,,
I agree with you on miles EXCEPT.... most people are focused on miles and the mythology that any HD is going to need a new top end (at least) by 80-100K. That's not true, but that is how most people think. Throw in that there are so many low mileage bikes out there (since there are so many low mileage riders) that it reduces your value, even if it is in top notch shape. Personally, miles don't bother me, but I can do my own work and don't really care that much about miles. I'm an anomaly.

Old 06-29-2015, 08:48 AM
Shaved Ice
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 46 Posts

To the OP:
You're right the bike market is completely dead. You are doing everything right. Your bike's mileage and accessories are what everyone else would want if they knew better. Your ad's pictures look incredible and the comment about no tire kickers is sure to draw in potential buyers. Your price is right, in fact, underpriced. Your attitude sounds like just the kind of guy I want to buy a bike from. EVERYONE else is wrong. There, do you feel better?

Quick Reply: Is the used bike market completely dead?