General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not sure what to think anymore...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 11:12 PM
allen6747
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Not sure what to think anymore...

One of the things that drew me into my love hate relationship with Harley Davidson besides the nostalgia and history was the fact that you could disassemble the entire bike and put it back together. If you needed a part, all you had to do was visit your local shop and order whatever you need. When I came on the scene 15 years ago, there was an energy that I haven't seen in a long time and when I dropped by a local dealer the other day after not having been in one for a couple of years, I felt as if I were in some sort of high end clothing store, which felt kind of strange to me. I had a list of part numbers of some parts I wanted only to find out that every single one of them was discontinued and not available anywhere. I was looking for things which were manufactured in 2000 not 1948... According to parts guy, many things are being discontinued because the Motor Company wants to increase sales of new products. So I guess our bikes are becoming disposable and will only have a lifespan of 15 years. Hmmm... I also happened to notice that all of there new bikes were $2K to $3K over MSRP. Don't get me wrong, they're pretty but I happen to like the older bikes and IMHO, each year, Harley's are looking more like Victory's (not that they're a bad motorcycle, just not my taste). We all love our bikes and love to talk about which why this forum exists but the Motor Company is losing touch with its customer base as they continue to inflate prices, produce poor quality parts and give lousy service. Maybe it's just me, or the part of the country I'm in for the moment but I want the old MoCo back. The one who is loyal to its customers. Just my rant for the day.

Last edited by allen6747; 06-24-2015 at 08:01 AM.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:33 PM
ieatchickens
Road Warrior
Received 609 Likes on 309 Posts

Thank the wallet biker who needs to trade his 13' model because the moto co put in a distinguishing feature that makes his two year old bike look old. These are the new focus of the new and improved, Moto co.

All about the bucks as with any big corporation.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:10 AM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

OP: Let's see you joined in 2015 and have five posts. All you can contribute is this total pile of BS?

I have a 2000 Deuce and all of the components from the electrical, frame, engine and body parts are in the current parts catalog to order.

Some dealers like mine that have been in business since 1947 have warehouses full of NOS parts.

I see the EVO generation of bikes on the lifts most of the time and occasionally Shovels.

Here is a pic of my last shopping trip for NOS parts.

The dealer is currently working on my basket case 80's FXR.

Even in the auto world at a certain point one goes to swap meets and internet search for parts. It simply is the nature of the beast for any vehicle.

Hopefully your next posts will reflect a more mature and informative thread about meaningful aspects of HD ownership. Now go ride whatever it is that you have.

Old 06-24-2015, 12:14 AM
Colorido
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

How is this any different than any other company out there? Not sure if you've noticed but companies are constantly making their products more and more disposable, or engineering them for planned obsolescence, in order to drive more consumption of newer products.

We just saw with HD...media and people were making a big ordeal about their 1Q numbers showing a drop in new sales. What was barely mentioned was that while there was a drop in unit sales, revenue still went up. That's the product of mega corporations looking for every which way to inch their profit margins up higher and seeking ways to never experience decreasing sales numbers or stagnant sales numbers.

The corporate greed has blinded them all to the reality of diminishing returns. And they are creating new realities for consumers by making more expensive, shittier product that has an extremely limited lifespan that we have to replace with another even more expensive product with an even shorter lifespan, etc etc.

I'm all for businesses making a profit, but our society has jumped the shark. There is a swelling sentiment that is gaining serious ground amongst people to reduce their consumerism and dependence on "things." Millennials are leading the charge but if corporations aren't careful, they are going to plan their own obsolescence soon enough.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:00 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,547 Likes on 6,276 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
OP: Let's see you joined in 2015 and have five posts. All you can contribute is this total pile of BS?

I have a 2000 Deuce and all of the components from the electrical, frame, engine and body parts are in the current parts catalog to order.

Some dealers like mine that have been in business since 1947 have warehouses full of NOS parts.

I see the EVO generation of bikes on the lifts most of the time and occasionally Shovels.

Even in the auto world at a certain point one goes to swap meets and internet search for parts. It simply is the nature of the beast for any vehicle.

Hopefully your next posts will reflect a more mature and informative thread about meaningful aspects of HD ownership. Now go ride whatever it is that you have.
You have a good dealer. http://www.reimanshd.com

Not everybody does.

Old 06-24-2015, 04:12 AM
mainboom150
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I remember when you could change your own oil in your truck !!!!!! now I have to have someone do it for me because you have to have a fancy lift to get to the oil filter. and im to fat to get under it with it just on a jack. why don't they go back to the days when you had to set your points or the engine wouldn't run and it was all about air fuel and ignition !!!!!!!! damn ford damn them to hell.
btw reimans is the best hd dealer in Illinois imo. they really seem to care about the customer. I drive 30 to 45 min everytime I need something just to get it from them. even though I have another dealer 5 min from my house that is nothing but a yuppie barn. who cant get your parts right and like to mark stuff up 45 %

Old 06-24-2015, 04:36 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

You can find parts for your 2000 HD. You just have to know where to look. Craigslist and Ebay are a start. All manufacturers have an obsolescence plan, it's how they make money. If you intend to keep an older machine, you need to have a plan as well. The oldest bike in my fleet is a 2002, which I intend to ride for the rest of my life. Consequently, I have parts on hand that I bought new or nearly new from CL and Ebay. There is no other brand of motorcycle in this country that has a larger aftermarket industry; bar none.

I know it can be frustrating to find parts sometimes but that's the price you pay for having something special. I just sold a 73 and a 76 model year motorcycles. They were tough to find parts for but it was always worth it when I saw someone's head snap and do a double take when I rode by or they were parked someplace. You either adapt or buy new/fairly new every couple years. Do what's best for you and gives you the least amount of headaches.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:27 AM
allen6747
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4

Larry,

This is a discussion forum and my post was an expression of my current observation as I see it and was to provoke thought and get feedback from other forum members. Yes, I just joined HDF a week ago and only have "5" little measly posts which in your world obviously does not measure up to your 9600+ posts as an "Ultimate HDF Member". I guess I'm not worthy since I spend more time riding than posting... The fact is, I joined back in 06 and found it to be a great place to exchange information and gain knowledge.

What I'm riding is a 2000 FLSTS, which I just picked up and happens to be the same year I came on the scene. I won't bore you with the 9 other Harley's that I've owned over the years.

So pardon me for getting your panties in a wad. I'll try to be more sensitive in my future posting. Now, jump on your 2014 and go to your dealer to spend some money, they depend on you.

Old 06-24-2015, 05:42 AM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 153 Likes on 95 Posts

It really wasn't any better in the old days, we did not have the internet, craigslist, ebay, etc. We did have a mail order catalog, J.C. Whitney. We had to fabricate, jury-rig, beg, borrow, and steal. My old 1948 Panhead had Chevy points, a Volkswagen voltage regulator, and a battery from a jap bike. I had rewire the bike from a diagram a guy drew up for me from a auto electrical store.

Last edited by jamesroadking; 06-24-2015 at 05:55 AM.
Old 06-24-2015, 06:00 AM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Being an automotive dealership parts man for many, many years, this is not an uncommon practice. They can't keep every part for every year on the shelf. If a part is a fast moving, high demand part they will make another run and resupply. If it is a slow mover it will be history.

Quick Reply: Not sure what to think anymore...