General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjure Ventura light.. which way???

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 04:30 PM
kiltiemon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjure Ventura light.. which way???

So...

Purchased a used Ventura bucket with lens (must be the old style because it has two set screws holding the retaining ring in at 6 oclock). The retaining ring (IIRC) has a "bayonet" type of fit and then is locked in by the two set screws.

My problem is twisting off the retaining ring. Is it the standard "leftie-loosie" design? Any ideas on how to get a grip on the ring itself? Maybe make a large "jar lid" gripper from some rubber tool drawer bottom liner?

These things are made of aluminum and then chromed, and have a snug fit. If not lubricated from time to time they can become rather recalcitrant.

Thanks for you help!

Jim aka kiltiemon

Old 06-20-2015, 04:47 PM
kiltiemon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And Solution!

I had lost the retaining ring to my old headlight due to a loose set screw. I had also believed it to be an old Adjure Ventura. There were no identifying markings. Adjure said they had not made a ring like I described even though photos on the internet seemed to indicate otherwise.

The used light I just purchased seem to look just like my old one and was sold as an Adjure Ventura.

I found that the ring was exactly like my old one.

Getting a grip on the headlight (if not on life) was a chore simplified by sitting on the floor cross-legged, putting a piece of rubber drawer liner on my lap, setting the light bucket lens-up on the liner and holding it in my lap, and then using a smaller piece of the liner to grip the leading and interior edge of the ring to apply torque and twist.

The solution was, btw, "righty loosie".

Now... I can use my old bucket which is still on the bike and has some nice over-engineered wiring to accept the E-code 90/110 lens/bulb that is destined to be in it!

Oh Yeah, and an early tomorrow morning trip to lowes to get a handful of set-screws!

"I love it when a plan comes together"

Thanks for any pondering that may have been done on my behalf.

Jim aka kiltiemon