Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Simpson helmets

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 10:21 AM
Xube
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simpson helmets

These are pricey but very cool looking Canadian full face helmets. An extra $200 for carbon fiber. Anyone had any experience with these?

Old 06-19-2015, 12:50 PM
WVDevil
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts

Yep, have a Bandit that I used in my race car. They're intended for cars, shield doesn't seal as well as a bike helmet, more wind noise. Best helmet made if you crash though.

The following users liked this post:
Slingshot383 (04-30-2020)
Old 06-19-2015, 01:59 PM
FLYH2O
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs down Loog good but not very well made.

I have a Simpson Outlaw Bandit.

Pros:

1. Looks great
2. Paint Quality Top Notch
3. Shields Are Very Tough With No Distortion.

Cons:

1. The Loudest Windy Lid I have Used.
2. The Shield Detents Wear Out In a Year and the Shield Wont Stay Up At Any Speed.
3. The Shield Is Very Tough to Close With It's Mickey Mouse System.
4. The Interior Fabric and Foam Is Low Quality. Wears Out Very Fast
5. Simpson will not sell you a new Interior Lining so the lid is Junk in Two Years.
6. The Shield Changing System is Very Poor.
7. Large Shell Makes you Look Like a Bobble Head Toy.
8. Very poor venting.

I have always liked the look of Simpson Helmets so I bought one a few years back. Hung my old Shoei X9 lid up and have rode with the Simpson Outlaw Bandit for two years. I will never buy another Simpson.
First off just because they made a name in the race car world doesn't mean they are the safest. I think if they can't engineer the little details like a shield that stays open or close they don't put a lot of thought or care in their product.

These guys sell helmets on name a looks . A ten year old kid could think op better systems for function on these lids. If they just copied Shoei or Bell they could save a buck and make a better lid.

The New M30 Simpson doesn't fit North Americans very well in general because they are very round inside ( Asian Fit). The Outlaw Bandit fits the long oval head ( North American) shape better.

Buy a Shoei Quest or RF1200 for the best FF Helmets. Some others swear by Arai but they don't fit me so I have never owned one.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:49 PM
Xube
Road Warrior

Thanks for the reviews, guys. I'll look elsewhere.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:43 PM
roadrash3
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

I had a simon years ago and was okay with it, i loved the look, But the new helmet sucks so bad. I bought the M30, but didn't fit, i wanted to return it but had to deal with simpson wanting to charge return fees and shipping etc, cost me money to exchange for the bandit. I thought this would be the same helmet i had before, boy was i wrong, what a piece of crap. Shield would not stay open, built like crap, no comfortable etc. I will never buy another simpson helmet, overpriced for what it is. I now wear a Shoei Hornet X2. wide face shield, stays up, great ventilation, and it has a nice visor that blocks the sun, don't know why i never got one with a visor before, just cause harley did not make, this helmet is awesome.

Old 06-23-2015, 06:35 AM
Railridin
Advanced

I have the outlaw bandit and nothing bad to say about it here. Swapping shields takes 2 min with a screwdriver, shield stays up fine for me @ speeds. Awesome helmet

Old 06-23-2015, 10:50 AM
digthemlows
Cruiser

Coming for Arai, Shoei, Suomy and other higher end full face helmets (used to ride a ducati) I can say that I actually like the Simpson better. There's more "room" inside, but it's still snug. The shield stays up great at any speed for me too, and you can get them re-lined by Simpson for pretty cheap, not to mention there's some amazing folks relining helmets on instagram with cool designs and fabric.

Here's mine.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:54 AM
digthemlows
Cruiser
Old 06-23-2015, 10:03 PM
slowrollin
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

I have a few Arai helmets. They fit me really well and they are really comfortable. They are also one of the few helmets that meet both the DOT and Snell safety standards

The following users liked this post:
Slingshot383 (04-30-2020)
Old 06-27-2015, 02:29 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 222 Likes on 157 Posts

Had a Simpson Hemet when I ran the World Challenge Series. Good Helmet for Cars . . . not so good for Motorcycles. Extremely noisey on a Motorcycle, in fact I can't ever recall any helmet that has had as much wind noise as that Simpson did when riding a bike. Great in a Car particularly if you've got a real oval shape but otherwise? . . . . I called it my "Pigs in Space" Helmet . . . a play on Ms Piggy of Kermitt fame due to the look of the Helmet. On a bike I now use an HJC Full Face, A Shoei Full Face or an HJC 3/4 all of which are DOT and Snell. I've also had Arai and like them as well, but they're a bit pricey IMHO and they don't fit me any better than the Shoei and HJC helmets do. Also the Shoei is really nice and quiet, as far as Helmets go.

Quick Reply: Simpson helmets