General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LIVE and LEARN

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 06:57 AM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by PTSDBob
I appreciate all the well wishes and prayers… my burns are healing nicely and my wife is an angel dressing my wounds daily. I should be 'normal' in a few weeks, but taking it a day at a time. For those interested, here is a link to the fuel bottles (one in each saddlebag) that I was carrying…
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o02_s00
I followed all directions and did not fill past the 'full' mark, however, one of them did hit the ground while I was emptying out my bag for the night. That might have caused a 'leak' which created the 'bomb'
On a similar note: I had wrapped my headers which worked great for scavenging hot exhaust rearward and allowing the motor to run cooler in hot weather; however, it probably was a combination of 'events' that caused the accident. I was going about 70 and getting good airflow when it happened, but the sun had also been shining on me (south side) most of the day.
What bothers me is that our fuel tanks are vented to allow for heat expansion and there have been no issues… so, ….. should these auxiliary tanks also be vented.? But if they are vented.. gasoline burns as a 'gas' not a fluid, so ??
I think proximity is the key; closed container, heat from the sun and asphalt, and very close to the hot exhaust created pressure that 'popped the top' and then the boom and fire…. I was sprayed with gasoline on my right side (where the fire started) so my understanding of the event sort of makes sense to me… anyway; if anyone is looking for a good motor with ported heads and a new hydraulic cam chain tensioner plate, I could refer you to my insurance…
Bob, I noticed that 9 people on Amazon gave that gas bottle a 5 star rating. Maybe you could be the 10th. Btw, hope you recover quickly.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:04 AM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Prayers for a speedy recovery.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:07 AM
fotomaker57
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow glad your OK. That could have turned out much worse. Thoughts and prayers are with you

Old 06-16-2015, 07:35 AM
Kayakguy
Road Captain
Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

Amazing. What a crazy accident. I hope you the best in your recovery. those are some pretty gnarly pictures but burn treatment has gotten to be very good nowadays and I know you will have a full recovery.

I have carried fuel before but it was always in a plastic container on my rack. I just cant imagine what it takes to combust inside of a saddlebag. You would think the leather would burn and crack before that. I guess the cans just popped. that was one benefit to the plastic jugs in that they could expand.

Hang in there!

Old 06-16-2015, 09:45 AM
cprhed
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,091 Likes on 630 Posts

Man I am glad you are ok but from those pics you are one lucky SOB. I had considered a small travel can for long trips in case of gaps in stations but I think I would rather heel toe now.
Heal fast.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:14 AM
Steve635
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"What bothers me is that our fuel tanks are vented to allow for heat expansion and there have been no issues… so, ….. should these auxiliary tanks also be vented.? But if they are vented.. gasoline burns as a 'gas' not a fluid, so ??"

Yes, those tanks should be vented. You are correct in that only vapors burn, not liquids, however the burning did not cause the container to fail. The container failed due to overpressure due to the heat causing the liquid to vaporize. Failure of the container freed the liquid and thus the vapors allowing them to reach an ignition source (spark, exhaust, etc.). While a vent would by design allow some vapor (and pressure) to escape the chance of it making a flammable mixture at any given point would be far less than in the catastrophic failure of the container.

Old 06-16-2015, 01:43 PM
rkc915
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow that's a scary thing to happen! I don't know about it being blamed on the heat though. I know it can get awfully hot but dang, it's really not been that hot yet, what the low to mid 90's? Glad you're healing and hoping for a speedy recovery.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:55 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 16,088 Likes on 5,007 Posts

Hey Bob, are their lawyers in your future? is there a lawsuit brewing? sounds to me you may have grounds.

Old 06-16-2015, 03:06 PM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I have carried similar bottles for thousands of miles on my bikes...albeit on the back of my bags....and never had one explode.

I also have carried a RotoPax thousands of miles in direct sunlight near the muffler with no issues.

This is a very bad situation for sure! Heal up man!

Old 06-16-2015, 03:14 PM
jdunn01
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Yikes!!! Dude heal fast.. This has absolutely removed my desire to carry extra fuel!

Weird how things can go to hell in a hand basket very quickly.

Quick Reply: LIVE and LEARN