General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LIVE and LEARN

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 01:07 PM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 192 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
Bob, I am so sorry to hear about this. I am glad that you aren't any worse, although, that is pretty bad!! I hope that you get better real soon.

Lord, I lift up Bob to you this morning, and request that You would allow him to heal quickly, that there be little pain, and that the financial part of all this will be covered. Lord, be with him today, and let him know that You are in control, and You have his back. Father, we ask this in the precious name of Jesus, Your Son

Amen.
More prayers to you as well.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:09 PM
Bopple Hill Rd
Road Warrior
Received 393 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by shredder22
Dude buy a lottery ticket!! That could of had a very bad ending. Get well soon and back in the saddle...
Seems to me he won the only lottery that really matters. OP, as the title of your post said...you lived and you learned. Looks like a major ouch but coulda been much worse and glad to hear that it wasn't so. All the best to you on your recovery.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:26 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 21,464 Likes on 8,442 Posts

Damn............ Glad you made it out alive.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:46 PM
harleyguy5571
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

Holy hell!! I'm glad you are still with us. I wish you all the luck and I pray you heal fast.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:52 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts

Glad you are alive!
This cancels my plans of carrying extra fuel.
Here's hoping you heal up quick, and get back on the road soon.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:23 PM
JimmyDee
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

I will NEVER whine about getting burned on an exhaust pipe again... That was a close one, wish you a speedy recovery!

Old 06-15-2015, 05:29 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,608 Likes on 848 Posts

Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.

If you get a chance, do you think you could post a link to the type of gas can you were using? I need to carry extra gas sometimes in Utah, and want to make sure I'm not using the same one.

Good luck and good fortune to you.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:55 PM
PTSDBob
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thank you all

I appreciate all the well wishes and prayers… my burns are healing nicely and my wife is an angel dressing my wounds daily. I should be 'normal' in a few weeks, but taking it a day at a time. For those interested, here is a link to the fuel bottles (one in each saddlebag) that I was carrying…
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CEX83S?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002CEX83S?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00
I followed all directions and did not fill past the 'full' mark, however, one of them did hit the ground while I was emptying out my bag for the night. That might have caused a 'leak' which created the 'bomb'
On a similar note: I had wrapped my headers which worked great for scavenging hot exhaust rearward and allowing the motor to run cooler in hot weather; however, it probably was a combination of 'events' that caused the accident. I was going about 70 and getting good airflow when it happened, but the sun had also been shining on me (south side) most of the day.
What bothers me is that our fuel tanks are vented to allow for heat expansion and there have been no issues… so, ….. should these auxiliary tanks also be vented.? But if they are vented.. gasoline burns as a 'gas' not a fluid, so ??
I think proximity is the key; closed container, heat from the sun and asphalt, and very close to the hot exhaust created pressure that 'popped the top' and then the boom and fire…. I was sprayed with gasoline on my right side (where the fire started) so my understanding of the event sort of makes sense to me… anyway; if anyone is looking for a good motor with ported heads and a new hydraulic cam chain tensioner plate, I could refer you to my insurance…

Old 06-15-2015, 09:09 PM
roadrash3
Road Master
Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Wish you a fast recovery, i am glad i have my touring bike with a bigger tank now. when i owned my dyna, i always debated buying a gas can and carrying it along, i have zero desire for that now. Hope you heal quick.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:59 PM
t. sawyer
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

man, things can go from sugar to chit in a heart beat. heres wishing you a speedy recovery and heres to you having the presents of mind to do the drop and roll. I spent 25 days in the hospital for burns not as bad as yours. my friend turned out to be "baby magic" to soften the scabes and keep it from itching. good luck to you.
kroozeabout.

Quick Reply: LIVE and LEARN