General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Overnight Run?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 06:34 PM
Mad Monk
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First Overnight Run?

I've read several threads on various forums and articles on numerous sites regarding Touring - What to pack, how to plan, etc..., but I still have questions.

How much riding experience did you have before you took your first overnight trip on your bike? What was your longest ride before that? What did you wish you had known before you did it?

I have a trip coming up in a couple weeks, I could drive on the interstate in about 10 hours. I can take my bike and use highways and it's about 11.5 hours car time (560 miles). I'm considering breaking it into two days to get there since I've never ridden more than 250 miles in a day. Then two or three days to get back (more circuitous route perhaps).

Old 06-09-2015, 06:42 PM
rufasim
Road Warrior
Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts

My first over night bike ride was a 500 mile ride to buffalo. Took me about 8 hrs. stopped every 150 miles for fuel, and a break. the second day I went to the falls and tooled around for a bit before heading home. Did about 400 miles on that day. Big push of about 150 on the last day. Going a bit further this summer.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:00 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,796 Likes on 2,537 Posts

Last years road trip to the Blue Ridge Parkway from Holland was broken done into a couple of days. Holland, MI to Chillicothe, OH in one day. We took the old US highway system and short bursts on the Interstates to get around larger city congestion. Our second day ride took us down to Greenville, SC to see some friends. Know your route, if using a GPS follow your route and the GPS will "recalculate".

Old 06-09-2015, 07:15 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

We had been riding a lot...10 months...before we did our first over night ride. It was 550 miles one way and that took 10 hours, with stops. And it was to Ft. Davis TX. The thing we regret is that we wish we would have made it a 3 day 2 night stay, instead of a 2-1 ride. We basically went there, slept and came home.

It was fun though...we ride in the sunlight all the way home but going, we got rained on and the next morning, we froze bug we had our leathers on, so it was okay.

The reason we took so long to go on one was, we really didn't know where to go.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:26 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 535 Likes on 460 Posts

Take your leathers and your rain gear. Pack some clothes for 90 degrees and some for 30 degrees. Stop when you get tired, stay hydrated, enjoy the ride.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:28 PM
FolsomPrisonBlues
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Monk
I've read several threads on various forums and articles on numerous sites regarding Touring - What to pack, how to plan, etc..., but I still have questions.

How much riding experience did you have before you took your first overnight trip on your bike? What was your longest ride before that? What did you wish you had known before you did it?

I have a trip coming up in a couple weeks, I could drive on the interstate in about 10 hours. I can take my bike and use highways and it's about 11.5 hours car time (560 miles). I'm considering breaking it into two days to get there since I've never ridden more than 250 miles in a day. Then two or three days to get back (more circuitous route perhaps).
What are you, 12 going on your first camping trip? You'll be fine, madam.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:35 PM
Grandslam
Road Warrior
Received 338 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Monk

(more circuitous route perhaps)

What did you say?

If you break it down to two 250+ mile days, what will you do after lunch? Ride until you get tired. Stop and look around. If you get there on day one, good.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:36 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,987 Likes on 17,898 Posts

Take the scenic route , stay off interstates, lots of butt breaks and enjoy the country side . For a newbie 250 to 350 miles days on the first road trip are a nice break in period. Your gonna learn as only you can say how you can handle it or want to till you get out and do it.

My youngest brother hadn't been riding 2 weeks on the street when we lit out to Sturgis then to Colorado, was 2200 miles round trip with him solo putting another 1100 on within 4 days heading back to the east coast. You'll deal ok.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:38 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Took my first overnight trip (literally) just a couple of months after I started riding on a new Honda 750 Nighthawk. Left about midnight headed for Talledaga Speedyway about 550 miles from here. Watched the race, drank beer, and came back home all in just over 24 hours. Tired and sore but just did make it home. Did not make it to work on time that Monday morning however

Old 06-09-2015, 10:50 PM
Mad Monk
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Grandslam, I don't even roll out of bed 'til 9-10 AM, but your point is well taken. Sometimes when I'm out riding, I just get surprised how little distance I cover for the time it takes because I enjoy being out there. To the other responders, thanks for the stories and advice.
FPB, Wish I were so bold as to not to need to pre-think my travels when I only have 3 weeks experience riding. BTW - your FXB looks great in those pics sitting in your driveway.

Quick Reply: First Overnight Run?