General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Overnight Run?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2015, 08:26 PM
rufasim
Road Warrior
Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts

I guess I am the only one here that enjoys riding on the super slab. Don't get me wrong, I too enjoy riding on two lane roads for the scenery but If I am going to go out for a long ride for the day, weekend, or week, I want to put on some serious miles. There is a lot of this country that I have not seen, and I know I am not seeing all of it by taking the highway. I have destinations I choose and I ride the highway to get there. Maybe it is the speed I can travel or I think I might feel safer up there. I just really would rather take the highway. Nothing wrong with that in my eyes

Old 06-10-2015, 08:54 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,114 Likes on 2,797 Posts

Bought my first bike on a Tuesday I think. I spent three nights riding in a parking lot and then did a 800 mile round trip that weekend. I was scared to death on the way there and riding halfway decent by the time I got back home. Took the interstate and I would recommend that for a newb. Jump in with a boring ride, because nothing is boring when you're new to riding. However, 200 miles of back roads will overstimulate a new rider. You'll be exhausted halfway through on back roads.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:18 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 897 Likes on 517 Posts

Originally Posted by rufasim
I guess I am the only one here that enjoys riding on the super slab. Don't get me wrong, I too enjoy riding on two lane roads for the scenery but If I am going to go out for a long ride for the day, weekend, or week, I want to put on some serious miles. There is a lot of this country that I have not seen, and I know I am not seeing all of it by taking the highway. I have destinations I choose and I ride the highway to get there. Maybe it is the speed I can travel or I think I might feel safer up there. I just really would rather take the highway. Nothing wrong with that in my eyes
I don't mind the Interstate at all, so you aren't alone. The backroads are great when I'm tooling around on a Sunday afternoon. But if I'm leaving in the morning and want to be 1000 miles from home tomorrow, I'll take the Interstate.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:36 PM
Mad Monk
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some good advice, stories and chuckles in this thread. It's not just an overnight, but riding from Virginia to Indiana to take a week long class, then coming back. I got my basic packing list pretty much covered and not really worried about that, although I'm trying to economize the space since I have to carry a certain amount of stuff for the class (I may end up mailing a box to myself at the hotel).

I'm planning to take the highway across rather than going up through MD & PA on the interstate. One option is VA 7 W, WV-259 S, US-48 W/Corridor H W, US-50 W and OH-32 W to IN-46 W, another is to go through (around?) Cincy. If anyone knows those roads well, any insight appreciated. On the way back, I'm more flexible and might get 'lost' and find my way down through KY/SC/NC or up through PA.

Last edited by Mad Monk; 06-11-2015 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 06-11-2015, 01:55 AM
Sling Blade 14
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,791 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Monk
I've read several threads on various forums and articles on numerous sites regarding Touring - What to pack, how to plan, etc..., but I still have questions.

How much riding experience did you have before you took your first overnight trip on your bike? What was your longest ride before that? What did you wish you had known before you did it?
My first trip was almost immediately after bringing the bike home-friends that already had bikes were waiting for me to get home.
I'd borrow a friend's bike and we knocked off a couple hundred mile runs for giggles.
I wish I had brought more cash- (before ATMs and Pay Pumps)

I have a trip coming up in a couple weeks, I could drive on the interstate in about 10 hours. I can take my bike and use highways and it's about 11.5 hours car time (560 miles). I'm considering breaking it into two days to get there since I've never ridden more than 250 miles in a day. Then two or three days to get back (more circuitous route perhaps).
Ride your capability- do a mapquest route plan with motels featured. Enjoy your ride, you're not on a time clock or at work.
Bring a camera and document the whole journey.

Last edited by Sling Blade 14; 06-11-2015 at 01:57 AM.
Old 06-11-2015, 08:46 AM
Crueltiming
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default first overnight run

I was lucky I remembered to bring a sleeping bag...throw it down next to bike so my legs were under the bike,(thinking it was a great anti-theft idea) did not account for the oil leaking from the bike onto my bag This was around 1980 or so...I have "gown" wiser through the years (I like to hope)

Old 06-11-2015, 10:57 AM
frontiercat
Elite HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

If you have tubeless spokes, buy yourself a Slime tire pump kit and tire plugs....if'n they have tubes...well, hope for no flats.

Always carry this on your bike. It'll save you a long bad day...if'n they are Harley's tubeless spokes...

Other than that, enjoy the scenery, eat from hole in the wall cafes...smile.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:19 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

Originally Posted by FNGonaRK
Bought my first bike on a Tuesday I think. I spent three nights riding in a parking lot and then did a 800 mile round trip that weekend. I was scared to death on the way there and riding halfway decent by the time I got back home. Took the interstate and I would recommend that for a newb. Jump in with a boring ride, because nothing is boring when you're new to riding. However, 200 miles of back roads will overstimulate a new rider. You'll be exhausted halfway through on back roads.
Many many moons ago when I first started riding I would get onto I-40 here in West Tn as it was considered the safest place to ride back then. Today I-40 is packed with traffic and most of that is semi trucks. There is not a day goes by there is not a big wreck and miles long traffic back-up. If I am traveling long distance and there is little truck traffic as is the case on some interstates it is the way to go for sure if you need to get somewhere right now. Otherwise I now avoid the interstates like the plague even in my car!!!!

Old 06-11-2015, 01:06 PM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,114 Likes on 2,797 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Monk
Some good advice, stories and chuckles in this thread. It's not just an overnight, but riding from Virginia to Indiana to take a week long class, then coming back. I got my basic packing list pretty much covered and not really worried about that, although I'm trying to economize the space since I have to carry a certain amount of stuff for the class (I may end up mailing a box to myself at the hotel).

I'm planning to take the highway across rather than going up through MD & PA on the interstate. One option is VA 7 W, WV-259 S, US-48 W/Corridor H W, US-50 W and OH-32 W to IN-46 W, another is to go through (around?) Cincy. If anyone knows those roads well, any insight appreciated. On the way back, I'm more flexible and might get 'lost' and find my way down through KY/SC/NC or up through PA.
7 can be a real MFer, 50 to depending upon which part you hit. If you get lost, western NC, north GA and east TN is a great place to do it and you can jump on 81N when you've had enough. Personally, I would get the hell out of NoVA and that area as quickly as possible, interstate if possible, just my $50k worth.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:36 PM
DMWyant
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FolsomPrisonBlues
LOL - wrong model, genius. But then again you only have 3 weeks experience. As if that matters. What, exactly, do you think you need to take differently on an overnight trip on your bike you wouldn't need on a normal trip? But to help you out buddy here's what I take on a single overnight trip on my motorcycle:

1) An espresso machine
2) A large cooler
3) a 4-burner Coleman stove
4) A 20-lb propane tank for the above
5) A hair dryer
6) An 8-person tent
7) A 1500w diesel generator
8) Two 5-gallon jugs of gasoline for the generator
9) A picnic table
10) Two months supply of food
11) Four months supply of water
12) A king-size foam mattress
13) Enough clothes for 2 weeks
14) Various maps
15) 4 Rolls of toilet paper
16) My 4-drawer filing cabinet with important work papers
17) 3 months supply of hair products

I think that about covers it for me on an overnight trip. I mean, why would I just bring a pair of jeans, a tee shirt, and maybe a sweatshirt? I need to be comfortable.

Actually a roll of toilet paper or two is a REALLY good idea

Quick Reply: First Overnight Run?