General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any pit bull fans here?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 12:40 PM
pitbulldog
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any pit bull fans here?

I'm interested in opinions on pit bull breeds. I have a five year old red nose female American Pit Bull Terrier (see avatar) that I rescued when she was six months old. She was taken from a fighting environment and has absolutely blossomed (that's why her name is Rosebud) in the time I've had her. I am currently looking for a adult male rescue for a companion for her. She is my third pit bull and I am completely sold on this breed. The rep these dogs have is undeserved in my opinion, it all boils down to people not handling them correctly. They are extremely good natured and loyal when raised correctly.

Without offending any other breeds, I've always felt the American Pit Bull Terrier to be the Harley-Davidson of dog breeds.

"Punish the deed - not the breed"

Old 04-27-2007, 12:51 PM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Any pit bull fans here?

I'm not certain, but there may be a clause in my Umbrella insurance policy that prohibits ownership.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:57 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

They are nasty mean ugly f**king dogs and unfortunately I have a couple of neighborswho have a few ofthesedogs and I hope none of them ever gets loose and harms a child in my neighborhood because there will be hell to pay from several of us who live here. That has happened many times inour metroarea and don't see the appeal of owning one of thesedogs. Their rep is totally deserved andI didn't realize my Harley was that butt fugly. JMHO

Old 04-27-2007, 01:03 PM
budiii3
Cruiser

They are great dogs. Like you said punish the deed not the breed. It is the stupid people out there that get their hands on these dogs that give them the bad rep. People only hear the bad side of this breed. It is people that don't ever take the time to be around this breed that say all of the bad things aboutthem.If people started training poodles for fighting purposes than grandma's poodle would all of a sudden be a terrible dog.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:12 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: oldfartjc

They are nasty mean ugly f**king dogs and unfortunately I have a couple of neighborswho have a few ofthesedogs and I hope none of them ever gets loose and harms a child in my neighborhood because there will be hell to pay from several of us who live here. That has happened many times inour metroarea and don't see the appeal of owning one of thesedogs. Their rep is totally deserved andI didn't realize my Harley was that butt fugly. JMHO
Couldn't agree with you more. When I was a kid, my idiot mother had the biggest pit bulls I've ever seen. Sweet, lovable, always tried to climb up in your lap to watch TV with you. On two occasions though, totally unprovoked, he attacked people in our house. Both were people he was familiar with and had always liked. The way I see it, pit bulls are animals and probably no more likely to bite someone than many other breeds. Trouble is, whena pit bull attacks, a lot of damage is done. I firmly believe there should be criminal charges for the owners of any dog that attacks someone. I think you'd see more people choosing other breeds for pets.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:25 PM
dragonfiregirl
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pit bulls scare me.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:28 PM
TampaJim
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When my son was 13, he used to spend part of his summers with his grandparents. They has a neighbor with 3 pit bulls that everybody loved. They were not attack trained, were treated very well and were very playful. Everybody loved them.

One day, my son was playing fetch with them and when he tried to pull the stick from one of the dogs, the dog attacked and would most likely have killed him had a neighbor not saw what happened and chased the dog away with a shovel.

He wound up getting over 30 stitches and was bedridden for 4 weeks while a 6 inch wound in his chest healed ( It could not be stitched and had to heal from within) Has massive scars today.

My Son did not hit the dog, nor did he do anything to provoke any fear in the dog. If something as simple as pulling a stick away is enough to cause these dogs to attack, then sorry but I don't feel they are suitable for house pets.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:38 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: dragonfiregirl

pit bulls scare me.
As well they should. Like any animal, they can behave unexpectedly, but their power and strength makes them very dangerous.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:43 PM
budiii3
Cruiser

I have never had any bad experiences with them. I have been bitten my many other dogs when I was younger but never a pitbull. But I am not afraid of sheltie collies or any others that have bitten me.Like everyone is saying they are animals and can never fully be trusted. It is the strength and speed of them that makes them stand out more.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:47 PM
Brackneyc
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd say Harleys are more like Labradors. A pitbull reminds me of a Crotch Rocket.

Quick Reply: Any pit bull fans here?