General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any pit bull fans here?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 11:37 AM
kato1964
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Any pit bull fans here?

My understanding is the "breed" (and I put it in quotations strickly because my understanding is no official authority has sanctioned them as an actual breed of dog...) was bred for aggression.That being said, I still feel that in most cases (not all) an animal takes on the behavioural traits their owner instills in them, either through training, or neglect. Do they bear watching? Yes, I think so. However as someone commented earlier, there are probably plenty of crappy Lab owners out there, but I've never heard of a pack of Labs tearing apart neighbourhood children. On the other hand, I don't advocate automatic euthanasia for the entire breed either. (The province of Ontario here in Canada has actually outlawed the breed...a bit kneejerk in my opinion, but then that's politics, isn't it?) Personally they're not for me, but I've never had a bad experience with one either. Just read the horror stories in the media. Me, I'll stick with Labs. As pups they chew everything in sight...but you can replace furniture. Tough to replace a kid...or the kid's arm.

Old 04-28-2007, 12:18 PM
BlueShift
Road Master

Here's the skinny on pitbulls. The American pit bull terrier is not recognized by the AKC and IMO is a bastard breed with little or no function. They pull weighted carts and hang from ropes.
I own several Bull Terriers an old breed created in Britain to contol and destroy ferral pig and smaller critters. They also fought in pits but that was abolished. The Bull Terrier was the 5th breed to be recognized by the AKC. I am very involved with the breed on the local and national level and have had AKC champs. They are the true clowns of the dog world and usually not lumped in with the pit bulls. The American pit bulls have caused myself and my breed nothing but trouble with the introduction of Breed Specific Legislation ( BSL ) due to less than reputable breeders and owners.
If you want a Bully get a Bull Terrier. Mine make me laugh every day.

Old 04-28-2007, 03:20 PM
AKsavage
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dog Savage was a rednosed pit/chocolate lab mix, I rescued him from an abusive home when he was about a year old. He was the best and most loyal dog I have met, it didn't matter if there was a bitch in heat or a cat I would only have to call his name once and he would come strait to me. After eleven yearshe had to be put down due to cancer about two months after I got my bike. If I ever get another dogI would be lucky to find one half as good as ol' Savage was.

Old 04-28-2007, 03:28 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone thinking any "pit bull" should be killed just because they said so should be shot themselves and if it were legal and I knew where you live Id go out and shoot you myself.

Only reason for American (pit) Bull Terriers not to be a recognized name in the AKC is because English BULL TERRIER breeders lobbied to keep their name separate from other breeds. Not your version of bullshit.

American Pit Bull Terrier (APBT)--The full, correct name for the breed commonly referred to by its nick name, "Pit Bull". This is a purebred breed of dog, recognized by the United Kennel Club (UKC) and the American Dog Breeders Association (ADBA).

American Staffordshire Terrier (AST)--Also known as AmStaff. A purebred breed of dog recognized by the American Kennel Club (AKC). All AmStaffs are direct descendants of American Pit Bull Terriers. No other breed was used in the establishment of the AmStaff. Some people still consider AmStaffs and Pit Bulls to be one and the same. AmStaffs my be registered with the UKC as "American Pit Bull Terriers".

Maybe you think the countless sheeple owners of Pitbulls are the ones to blame, you are prob right. I hear countless tails of Meth heads owning these dogs, countless people owning these types of dogs just for the sake of owning a BAD *** dog. They are to blame not the dog. Come on people..just because a human makes a bigger splat when killed doesn't give you the right to blame the dog and kill them instead.

You know people will get their BAD *** dogs drunk, get em high, feed em gun powder, just about anything abusive, let them chase cats for pure laughter. Those are the same people who should never own a dog let alone an animal of any type..even a rat.

My dog ain't the typical meat-headed "pitbull" who has no papers, is kept in a gated fenced in yard and generally treated like BAD *** DOG MAN.. eh HOMES! Lets give da dog some beer see what it does ok Amigo? Those are the ones u see in the media, don't be blaming my dog for your FEAR, UNCERTAINTY and DOUBT and SPEW against a DOG you ONLY know through the MEDIA or some LAME *** Owner.

Old 04-28-2007, 06:00 PM
fatrob
Cruiser

In England (UK) it's illegal to even own one - anyone found with one will have it seized and destroyed, then they will face legal charges! Dangerous Dogs Act.

Old 04-29-2007, 04:00 AM
fj4069
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my pitbull is the greatest dog i've ever owned and is truly mans best friend. loves little babies/kids and is a attention ****. you can read his emotions on his face and will probley never have a different breed of dog. do they have a bad rap. yes. do they take care of business when it gets ugly. yes. if you want a dog who will not turn his back on you and will be a friend to the end then a pitbull is the dog for you, as long as you are a responsible individual who will dedicate the time and energy to this breed of dog. just ask the dog whisperer cesar milan about pitbulls, or better yet watch his show on tv and see how well mannered his pits are compared to the other dog breedshe brings onto his show.