General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rambling

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 10:04 AM
WVICEMAN
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rambling

I'll apoligize before handfor the ramblingbut I am having a delima. I have an 05 1200C which is my first HD that I bought in Alaska. I have done and added a lot of nice goodies to it but now that I am back in Michigan and am getting with old friends who ride I am wondering if I should get a bigger bike, we are going to do a trip to the Florida Keys next summer and a trip out west the following. I received a call from a custom bike dealership here and they took in an 03 Heritage that has had a lot of custom work in on trade on a Bourget. The bike is a beauty and has 8000 miles on it. So if I would trade would I lose my shorts on the deal? They want 13,500 for the bike and it has all the maintenance records. I know it is a decision I need to make on my own but sometimes opinions help.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:07 AM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Default RE: rambling

What's wrong w/yours? If it fits you ride it. If you WANT a bigger bike, get one.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:12 AM
easyglider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I ride an Ultra and I would not be afraid to ride all that way 2-up and KNOW I.....WE are going to be in comfort.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:12 AM
glebo
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,093 Likes on 351 Posts

why?? are you getting a bigger bike because of your friends, or do you want one?? I rode a 85 XLCH for years with my buddies and I was perfectly happy with it, I was comfortable, I did a lot of work to it, and I likes it. Now, later on, after that bike I did go up to a superglide. But I didn't get rid of my first bike because I thought I had to. My choice in both matters. Only you can decide what you want. You wont regret going up, just depends on how much you like your bike and do you want to part with it. (She may get mad)

Old 04-27-2007, 10:17 AM
zukeeper
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I ride with a guy that runs an ironhead. He doesn't blink an eye no matter how far of a trip we plan. Says no way will he ever get rid of it , he built it the way he likes em and is keeping it.
basically if you like your ride keep it. no matter what the balding grey headed geezers here tell ya , ( ) ya don't need a barge to travel.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:20 AM
WVICEMAN
Road Captain

No it's not a peer pressure thing for one I'm to old for that and the other is one of mybuds rides a 1200L and the other a Street Bob. I'm just wondering if a bigger bike is going to be more comfortable on a log trip or if a 1200C is just as comfortable. I have put a sissy bar, lindby highway bars a memphis shade windshield and other additional things. I've never owned a bagger and just looking for opinions.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:22 AM
PaOutlaw
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: zukeeper

I ride with a guy that runs an ironhead. He doesn't blink an eye no matter how far of a trip we plan. Says no way will he ever get rid of it , he built it the way he likes em and is keeping it.
basically if you like your ride keep it. no matter what the balding grey headed geezers here tell ya , ( ) ya don't need a barge to travel.
Don't be hatin on those barge's zu. There are some of us geezers who prefer a couch to a bar stool

Outlaw

Old 04-27-2007, 10:28 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I would be fine with the Sportster but then I'm fine with small vehicles. My cage is a Miata. If you like the comfort of a Cadillac you probably wouldn't like the comfort of your Sportster. Only you can answer your question.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:32 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: WVICEMAN
So if I would trade would I lose my shorts on the deal?
There are some factors to consider....
1)how much is the dealer/shop going to give you for your 1200?
2)how much are you willing to let your bike go for?
3)how much do you want a larger bike?
4)is the new bike priced right compared to market value,KBB and NADA?

Generally shops/dealers dont give you a lot of money for trade ins compared to selling privately.

For me,a larger bike would be more comfortable for touring.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:50 AM
Chrizzby
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would do what I want to do and not what my friends tell me, I like the idea of a touring bike for long rides but cant help you with the decisiion on the Sporty, I'm almost 6'4" and don't fit on one ..

Enjoy the trip to the keys ......

Quick Reply: rambling