General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carpel Tunnel anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 05:13 PM
possum67
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Carpel Tunnel anyone?

Hey, I'm "only" 40 and have some of the same problems. Mine rt hand will cramp and draw up after riding for a while or having preesure on it. Mine is mainly from riding four wheelers HARD for years and using a punch down (spring loaded) tool for 21 years. I just bought my Sporty and hope it doesn' tinterfere too much.
A worse problem is I have 2 ruptured disks and the docs want to chip spurs off my spine and fuse 3 verts...was supposed to be under knife 18 Mar this year...put it off till it hurts worse or cannot get out of bed....

Old 04-27-2007, 05:52 PM
ladyglide
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: nscrbug

ORIGINAL: ladyglide

As a prof. cake decorator, I have this condition. The best thing you can do, is try to keep your wrist in a neutral position as much as poss. and try to break up any repetitive motions that make it worse.(encourage ambidextrousness[8D]) Also a wrist splint, wornat night will help. (most of us curl up our wrists when we sleep, and this agervates the condition)
If tendonitis(the painful part)is also an issue, Ibuprofen therapy may help to ease your discomfort.
I had the surgery several years ago, and I sometimes have to use a wrist wrap forsupport
while riding, as my throttle hand is the one effected[&o]. I have not had enough trouble, to quit, or ride less, but I do loose feeling from time to time, and have to take a break here and there. Since I'm one of the least handicapped in our bunch[&:], usually someone else is suggesting the break before me anyhoo[8D]

Ride on, and ride safe, LG
I'm having this problemin my left hand only. I was interested in the fact that you mention wrist curling while sleeping. I do this...and I believe it is the main cause of my hand pain. When you said "most of us curl up our wrists"...are you referring to actually cocking the wrist in an upward position? Because I curl it in the opposite direction...I curl my wrists down or inward...which I think is putting pressure on the nerves in my wrist...thus causing the pain and numbness I am experiencing. I do wear a wrist splint when I sleep, and it does prevent me from curling my wrists in...but I still wake up with a painful and weak left hand every morning. I'm beginning to wonder if arthritis might not be playing a factor here too...but I'm only 41 so it would really suck to have arthritis at this age...especially in my "clutch" hand.
I guess I was unclear on this, but the splint will hold your wrist in a neutral postion while you sleep. as for curl-up/curl-down, you must have funky hands[8D]LOL,
I was trying to describe how when you curl your fingers into a loose fist, then curl your wrist toward your elbow[:-], If you are suffering carpel tunnel(nerve issues) your fingers will start to tingle, then fall asleep, as in this position, the wrist will put pressure on the nerves to the hand,that run through the "carpel tunnel" - hence the name of the syndrome
Good luck, I'll try to post a link to my favourite wrist wrap(support for daytime use), so you can check it out as well
LG http://www.donjoy.braceup.com/boomer...ort_donjoy.htm

Old 04-27-2007, 06:15 PM
nscrbug
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: ladyglide

I guess I was unclear on this, but the splint will hold your wrist in a neutral postion while you sleep. as for curl-up/curl-down, you must have funky hands[8D]LOL,
I was trying to describe how when you curl your fingers into a loose fist, then curl your wrist toward your elbow[:-], If you are suffering carpel tunnel(nerve issues) your fingers will start to tingle, then fall asleep, as in this position, the wrist will put pressure on the nerves to the hand,that run through the "carpel tunnel" - hence the name of the syndrome
Good luck, I'll try to post a link to my favourite wrist wrap(support for daytime use), so you can check it out as well
LG http://www.donjoy.braceup.com/boomer...ort_donjoy.htm
Yeah, I guess you could say I have "funky hands"..LOL This "wrist-curling" thing I do in my sleep is basically a bad habit that I haven't been able to break myself of. I've been sleeping like this for years. Imagine your left hand out in front of you...now curl your hand in like you would make a fist, only keep curling it in until your fingers are almost touching the inside of your wrist. Then I usually rest my head on it...which doesn't help matters much. My hand and fingers do tingle and fall asleep...but I'm not sure if it's because of the position of my hand...or the fact that my head is resting on it...or BOTH. At any rate, it's becoming a problem that is affecting things I do everyday..such as grabbing things, squeezing bottles, turning doorknobs, anything that requires any kind of twisting, turning or gripping motion.

Thanks for the brace link...I'll check it out!

Old 04-27-2007, 07:52 PM
Jehu
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,114 Likes on 626 Posts

Ibuprofen as well and cold and hot applications provides some relief. Good advice on the ergos. Throttle Rocker, friction screw and gel palmed gloves have all helped me, as well as dropping and shaking my throttle hand when I could.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:17 PM
tater2stock
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Jehu

Ibuprofen as well and cold and hot applications provides some relief. Good advice on the ergos. Throttle Rocker, friction screw and gel palmed gloves have all helped me, as well as dropping and shaking my throttle hand when I could.
I have had CTS for nearly 5 years. Ibuprofen when it is the worst, but it is mostly to relieve the swelling that is pinching off the nerves. I ice the inside of my wrist nearly every night while watching TV etc. 15 minutes on 15 off. Has kept me from surgery!!

Old 08-29-2007, 01:33 PM
tmoreau
Tourer

Thanx for the tip! I work in front of a PC and am getting some hand and finger issues. I'm hoping this will head off the demons.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:52 PM
dstockton
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: fryeca

After ridin' for 19 years I've noticed that my left hand is starting to tingle on long rides, seems to last for many hours.

Anyone out there have Carpel Tunnel and if so how do you keep it from gettin worse?
There are some exercises you can do stretching the tendons. You can wear braces at night for relief and help, but my doctor and surgeon both said stop doing computer work and give up riding or get the surgery. Well, my income is derived from the computer and no way I'm gonna quit riding so I had the surgery on both hands. Still have a little trouble, but my hands no longer go numb from riding or keep me up at night with the burning sensation. It worked for me although I let my left hand get real bad before the surgery so it hasn't recovered as well.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:48 PM
Fishguy001
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get the same thing occasionally and if I go to the chiropracter regulary to have my neck adjusted for some reason it help my hands. He claims it is directly related...Might check out a chiro

Old 08-29-2007, 06:37 PM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: High Gear

I do notice that the stock drag bars of the superglide **** my wrists a bit and seems to aggrevate it .
My wifes hugger with the buckhorns puts my hands in a perfect position and rarely bothers me .
I second that on Buckhorn bars. I've got carpal tunnel from years of engraving. I switched the stock bars on my Sturgis to buckhorns... solved the problem. Sit on your bike and raise your hands to a natural no flexed/twisted position. Find bars that bring the grips to you.

-fish

Old 08-29-2007, 07:33 PM
Greybeard48
Cruiser

Riding position can really make a difference. I've had a problem with it (computer programmer), but I have the throttle rockers as well as cruise control too. I changed my riding position to take off some of the strain but it took a few handlebar changes to figure it out. Good luck and keep riding.

Quick Reply: Carpel Tunnel anyone?