General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Liquid cooled vs Air cooled

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 07:52 AM
clutchglass
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Liquid cooled vs Air cooled

jakeiniraq,
(Been there twice myself) As I mentioned before, I live in the middle of the mojave desert. I have a "Billetcool" oil cooler www.billetcool.com on my 06 softail. We have a thermal imaging camera at work and I have a thermometer dipstick as well. The folks at billetcool claim it cools your engine by as much as 20 degrees. The nearest I can tell, mine came down around 8-10 degrees. That may not sound like much, but you have to consider...and this is coming from a trubologist (oil scientist) friend of mine every 20 degrees you go up in temperature after 180 degrees is critical to oil breakdown (even for synthetics). Conventional oils begins to suffer total breakdown after extended periods above 250 degrees, and synthetics after 300 degrees (both will eventualy breakdown above 180 degrees...only at different rates).
Not only is my billetcool much less ugly than the "radiator look" of conventional coolers. It makes filter changes easier (no crank position sensor in the way). I'm also very pleased with the performance.
In closing, to those who have mentioned EPA restrictions as reasons for liquid cool...I live in California (The Meca of emission restrictions). Air cooled bikes are already in compliance here. To those of you who site performance reasons...if you want to go fast...ride a rice burner & leave Harley alone. To those who site reliability...many things can be done (geared cams...etc) without having to give up the heart in the Harley-Davidson motor. Thanks
-clutch-

[IMG]local://upfiles/10668/3739A06B1FB2482DB48255ABFBC13CD4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-15-2007, 08:38 AM
uesque
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jovimon

Well like it or not, water cooling is coming and probably sooner than you think, right along side the air cooled bikes.
Motorcyclist reported a couple of months ago that liquid cooled sportster prototypes have already been spotted desert testing. If they can make a counter balanced, fuel injected engine still sound and feel like a Harley, they'll have no problem doing the same thing with liquid cooling.

Old 09-15-2007, 09:11 AM
Fastlane
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only water cooled toy I want is in the driveway, I take it to the water. It's called a boat.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:36 AM
Cynic
Road Captain

I'd be down for a liquid cooled motor in a heartbeat if they could solve the rad issue. I don't care what ***** G says about the V-Rod. I dig the plasticflat sided pushrod covers on my Buell andit's rounded fin edges. Of course I lean toward the industrial look of form following function. These new motors are just about as purty as I can stand with their machined fin edges, decorative covers, and all.

It's above 110 here every single day for five months in a row, some days so hot even emergency flights are grounded.

Old 09-15-2007, 05:56 PM
blackbob
Tourer

ORIGINAL: clutchglass

jakeiniraq,
(Been there twice myself) As I mentioned before, I live in the middle of the mojave desert. I have a "Billetcool" oil cooler www.billetcool.com on my 06 softail. We have a thermal imaging camera at work and I have a thermometer dipstick as well. The folks at billetcool claim it cools your engine by as much as 20 degrees. The nearest I can tell, mine came down around 8-10 degrees. That may not sound like much, but you have to consider...and this is coming from a trubologist (oil scientist) friend of mine every 20 degrees you go up in temperature after 180 degrees is critical to oil breakdown (even for synthetics). Conventional oils begins to suffer total breakdown after extended periods above 250 degrees, and synthetics after 300 degrees (both will eventualy breakdown above 180 degrees...only at different rates).
Not only is my billetcool much less ugly than the "radiator look" of conventional coolers. It makes filter changes easier (no crank position sensor in the way). I'm also very pleased with the performance.
In closing, to those who have mentioned EPA restrictions as reasons for liquid cool...I live in California (The Meca of emission restrictions). Air cooled bikes are already in compliance here. To those of you who site performance reasons...if you want to go fast...ride a rice burner & leave Harley alone. To those who site reliability...many things can be done (geared cams...etc) without having to give up the heart in the Harley-Davidson motor. Thanks
-clutch-

[IMG]local://upfiles/10668/3739A06B1FB2482DB48255ABFBC13CD4.jpg[/IMG]
Read somewhere the oil needed to be between 180 and 230 degrees in order to work effectively.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:53 PM
dircha
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yamaha and Victory are doing a better job of meeting EPA requirements today with their air cooled motors than HD is, and the Yamaha and Victory motors perform better to boot.

HD has plenty of room to improve their engine platform.

They can add stock oil coolers.

They can make the stock map shut down one cylinder on idle right from the factory.

They can also add a catalytic converter to the stock exhaust; don't the California models have one already?

Old 09-15-2007, 08:25 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

I suppose ABS brakes will be next? AND WHAT THEN? Cable-less electronical throttles?
GPS?
Nope.....can't have no radiator.

Chuck

[IMG]local://upfiles/40791/3CA9F5787D324D408E7439A6D70AA061.jpg[/IMG]