General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Liquid cooled vs Air cooled

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 03:42 AM
d42s
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Liquid cooled vs Air cooled

If Harley goes liquid cooled in years to come, guess our old school air cooled will become more valuable,and better looking, those rads are fugg'n ugly

Old 05-01-2007, 03:49 AM
atomic
Road Warrior

My Ducati is air cooled and it is very fast. You can have lots of power and be air cooled. You can't have 4 valves per cylinder and have an engine that does 15,000 rpms and have air cooled. Funny thing is liquid cooled engines get hot too. The heat that is generated by those engines would cause the engine to melt if it were not for the liquid cooling. So I don't know why people think liquid cooling equals longer engine life.

I had a bad experience with a liquid cooled motorcycle. I got a tear in the coolant line and I found out about in on 100 degree day. Bike stopped and never started again. Air cooling works fine.. Don't fix what isn't broken.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:37 PM
sfarson
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is all ridiculous. H-D has repeated time and time again they can, and are, meeting all EPA guidelines now with their air-cooled engine, and any/all future proposals on the table whether they get passed or not. Do any of you read what numerous engineers and senior H-Dexecutives are noting in articles and interviews? It was going FI having the biggest impact on compliance, now and for the future. Other makes are meeting EPA guidelines with their air cooled engines, don't you think H-D can do so as well? They certainly can and are.

As for all this Revolution engine in a touring chassis talk, it will probably happen someday, H-D has even developed prototypes with the powerplant, but H-D's research is also showing while many of you think it would be cool, many of you are just talking and spouting off, with no real intentions of buying one as long as the air-cooled big twin is there as an option. This is what the research is saying... talk but no action... and certainly H-D is in the business of generating NEW business, not just selling a Revolution based FL touring rig, when the buyer would have bought an air cooled one.

The Revolution in a more touring chassis is coming, but it won't be because of the EPA, but it will be because of the competition, and it will come when Milwaukee believes it will generate new volume.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:45 PM
spikehyre
Road Master

ORIGINAL: DirtyDave

ORIGINAL: 89FLHT

I'm on my secondCarbed EVO, before them it was a Carbed Ironhead. The EVO has a gear driven cam and it never get's "hot" like a twinkie does. I couldn't give a rats *** what the moco produces in terms of next generation liquid cooled, fuel injected, 9 million horsepower gismo machines.

Sure, I'm a knuckle draggin' caveman, but I'm a happy caveman - my bikedoes 70 to 90 all day out on the highway repeatedly , gets great mpg, starts easily and there is a ton of aftermarket support for it. And it sounds, rides, and feels just like a HD should.

If I wanted liquid cooled and ultimate performance I sure as hell would not be buying an H-D.
What he said.

I'll keep rebuilding my bike until I can't ride it no more!

You want a large displacement touring bike that's liquid cooled, lets see......Goldwing.
They even have wheels you can get so youdon't have toput your feet down when you stop.
LOL....PERFECT!!

Old 05-01-2007, 01:54 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: Lpye

Bring on the Water Cooled Electra Glide.
Ditto.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:29 PM
wingt50dw
Road Master

I like the looks of that road king

Old 05-01-2007, 03:39 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member

Well, with all the cries to get HD to catch up to superior competition with water cooled, I say HD must go the entire way and remake the motor. It should have 2 cams per head, 2 valves per cam, and no pushrods. Just fake up the current tubes to keep the look if needed. And the fuel injection needs to be in the ports, with a nozzle for each of the 2 spark plugs per cylinder. And allow the cam profiles to shift based on RPM and throttle input.

There's you hi-tech motor.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:32 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Liquid cooled Big Twin's???

Damn.....

I'm just now starting to get over the state of shock I experienced when Harley decided to go 'all electric' and get rid of it's 'kick start' bikes.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:44 PM
gandy dancer
Cruiser

AMEN---sure would---give me a Harley with about 2000cc and 100hp at the back wheel that will last for 200,000 miles and I`ll buy it in a flash---and yes I am a caveman--been on HD`s for 40 years

Old 05-01-2007, 04:53 PM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: gandy dancer
AMEN---sure would---give me a Harley with about 2000cc and 100hp at the back wheel that will last for 200,000 miles and I`ll buy it in a flash---and yes I am a caveman--been on HD`s for 40 years
I'd want a lot more than 100hp at the rear wheel for a 2-liter.

Quick Reply: Liquid cooled vs Air cooled