General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015 | 07:36 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by teleman001
Wow....nobody here have a clue? I thought this was the place for answers to tough questions.

Here's a tip: don't use alcohol to clean anything on your bike.

Old 05-21-2015 | 11:50 AM
Chicago Ken
Road Warrior

Best way out is to Air-brush some flat black lacquer over that. Do a test panel to match the finish ( low sheen to flat ). Should be easy to blend-in the edges on the last coat with thinned down paint seeing how alcohol removed the original paint.
Any pro or hobby painter can handle this type of job under an half hour without taking the fairing apart. You may want to try an air brush artist if you don't trust your own ability.
This would be the way I would handle this problem if it was mine to fix.

I painted cars & trucks for a Kenworth dealer for 21 years. We used satin or flat black lacquer to refurbish dash boards all the time on used equipment.

Painting the whole inner dash panel would cost more to take apart & prep but would be your easiness way out. No worries about matching the finish. You would have more durable finish with this option.

Last edited by Chicago Ken; 05-21-2015 at 03:54 PM.
Old 05-21-2015 | 04:23 PM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Chicago Ken
Best way out is to Air-brush some flat black lacquer over that. Do a test panel to match the finish ( low sheen to flat ). Should be easy to blend-in the edges on the last coat with thinned down paint seeing how alcohol removed the original paint.
Any pro or hobby painter can handle this type of job under an half hour without taking the fairing apart. You may want to try an air brush artist if you don't trust your own ability.
This would be the way I would handle this problem if it was mine to fix.

I painted cars & trucks for a Kenworth dealer for 21 years. We used satin or flat black lacquer to refurbish dash boards all the time on used equipment.

Painting the whole inner dash panel would cost more to take apart & prep but would be your easiness way out. No worries about matching the finish. You would have more durable finish with this option.
Sounds to be the best advise so far. The rest of us seem to be guessing. Good answer

Old 05-28-2015 | 05:18 PM
teleman001
|
Intermediate

Heads up - Got a call from HD customer service. The guy was an idiot. Told me to go to the dealer and pick up a can of Harley cleaner / polish. This would bring back the black color and said its not paint but from the mold.....what?
So like a dummy I went and wasted $7 on this junk which as I expected did nothing to bring back any color. So I called him back to tell him this and get a woman who was actually quite helpful.
Turns out they actually have an aerosol satin black paint part # 98606JK and a touch up thing with a little brush in that color part # 98600JK.
I immediately called the dealer and ordered the spray. I'll just spray a bunch of it in a cup they use the air brush to touch the area up.
Hope this helps someone, It was a real PITA but I finally got the answer I needed!

Old 06-06-2015 | 04:22 PM
teleman001
|
Intermediate

Just repaired the inner fairing with the paint I ordered at my dealer. They had to order 4 cans to get me one but it is the right stuff and blended perfect right out of the spray can. Showed it to the service techs also as they had no idea this was available...lol