General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Service Plan ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 10:07 AM
glebo
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 1,118 Likes on 357 Posts
Default RE: Extended Service Plan ??

well they set a trebvble hook in me. I got the extended warranty, simply so the warranty would be good as long as the term on the loan, 60 mos. I also got gap, so if its (hopefully never) gets totalled, I wont be paying for a bike that I dont have. I feel a little more at ease, lots of reasons why and why not to buy. I guess it all about how you feel about it, I did for piece of mind, and I have no worries, after all, its "only money"!

Old 04-27-2007, 10:09 AM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with it, and so far the tire hazard rider part has paid for itself (2 new tires, < 1 year). Since mine was the first year of the 6spd I wanted to keep them on the hook should it have any issues (like the early production models).

Old 04-27-2007, 10:42 AM
Hackd
Elite HDF Member
Received 82 Likes on 77 Posts

Since you've made up your mind, I think you'll be happy with the decision. If nothing more than to have 'peace of mind'...If you can ever obtain that with anything mechanical. I know this, if/when I ever purchase a new Harley or other bike..It'll have the extended warranty.

I'll probably add one to my 2007 Malibu SS sometime in the future. I just didn't like the plans that the Chevy Stealership was offering at the time of purchase. For automobiles at least, there are a number of highly ranked companies that'll write you a good policy with little or zero deductibles. I didn't have an extended warranty on my 2002 Cavalier Z24, and in 5 1/2 years of ownership only put about $500 into 'out of factory warranty' repairs. I did, however, purchase a plan on my 2002 Blazer when I bought it used in 2003...It has paid for itself at least three times...Labor isn't cheap and parts are expensive. And stuff does break with use.

Old 04-27-2007, 04:23 PM
waterdog
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: grunt

I went with it, and so far the tire hazard rider part has paid for itself (2 new tires, < 1 year). Since mine was the first year of the 6spd I wanted to keep them on the hook should it have any issues (like the early production models).
That (the tire hazard option) was one of the reasons I decided to go for it, along with the towing coverage, and just the general cost of repairs.

Thanks for the info grunt!

Old 04-27-2007, 04:29 PM
WillyHD
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: waterdog

Thanks for the feedback timdow. I take it the service plan you mention is for the first 10,000 miles scheduled maintenance? They offered my one of those also. I added youthecosts listed just for the 1k, 2.5k, 5k, 7.5k and 10k milesmanufacturer's required service and it came up to just $100 less than the cost of the plan. But the plan also includes up to 3 new batteries, up to 3 wheel mounting and balancings one drive belt replacement, and one brake pad replacement (parts and labor on all those, except for the tires). So, if you utilize butONE of thoserepair items, the plan has paid for itself. But the question(the risk you take with buying the plan) is, how likely is it that you will need a new battery, or a wheel installed, or a new drive belt, etc... in the first 10,000 miles?????

So, any input there guys? Will a battery be needed within 10,000 miles (or first 3 years)??
Will a new drive belt be needed in the first 10,000 miles )(or first 3 years)???
From what I read on this MB, YES, it's likely that at least one of these repair items will needed.

The dealer told me that they are taking a risk based upon hom much you ride the bike, because they will lose money on a rider that actually rides the bike alot. But they will make money on someone that doesn't ride much. I expect to be in the former category!!!

Oh, and we we do plan to buy a new house in the next few years, but still within the same area, so I'll be able to still get to the dealer.
What if you took the cost of the plans and put that cash in a Money Market account to be used only for bike maintenance? This is really what the MoCo is doing with your money. Why not do it for yourself and reap the benefits compound interest!

Old 04-27-2007, 04:40 PM
waterdog
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hackd

Since you've made up your mind, I think you'll be happy with the decision. If nothing more than to have 'peace of mind'...If you can ever obtain that with anything mechanical. I know this, if/when I ever purchase a new Harley or other bike..It'll have the extended warranty.

I'll probably add one to my 2007 Malibu SS sometime in the future. I just didn't like the plans that the Chevy Stealership was offering at the time of purchase. For automobiles at least, there are a number of highly ranked companies that'll write you a good policy with little or zero deductibles. I didn't have an extended warranty on my 2002 Cavalier Z24, and in 5 1/2 years of ownership only put about $500 into 'out of factory warranty' repairs. I did, however, purchase a plan on my 2002 Blazer when I bought it used in 2003...It has paid for itself at least three times...Labor isn't cheap and parts are expensive. And stuff does break with use.
Yep, and it's a decision I'll be living with for several years, good or bad. LOL!

As far as peace of mind being obtained with anything mechanical......My experience is that no matter how good of care we take on our bikes, cars, trucks, mowers, etc....things will break!

Thanks for comments.