General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Service Plan ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 12:56 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Extended Service Plan ??

get low jack price added in
and a PPM if you don't wrench yourself(with decent skill/tools)

that's all I did.. no extended but I can buy the extended if I want before the normal is up

BTW I can wrench my own service, but the first ones will be done using PPM at the dealer.. why?
cause when I bought it I was unfamilure with EFI bikes and the softail I was buying
and its just a few dollars extra per month in the payment to get it at signing time

Old 04-26-2007, 01:50 PM
mistermooster
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: waterdog

ORIGINAL: mistermooster

You've heard, or will hear, about a couple issues with the '07s. I bought two extra years, "just in case". It was worth a little more peace of mind.
Thanks for the response mooster.

I'm almost afraid to ask but, huh,.........what issues???? [sm=insomnia.gif]

Should I worry? LOL.

If you don't mind me asking, about what does two years extended coverage cost and did you get the tire coverage option also? If you do mind, then just tell me to buzz off. [sm=icon_rofl.gif]

I'll not take it personal.

The two main issues with '07s (as I see it): Ok, not to scare you or anything, but there are a lot of folks concerned about the overly lean conditions (air/fuel ratio), which causes the bikes to run hot. Not really Harley's fault; they're required to meet the EPA's rediculous standards. In a nut shell, you'll probably have to get an after-market tuner (PC-III, V&H FuelPak, Harley's SE Race Tuner, ThunderMax, etc.), new air intake, and different exaust. You'll get some people who will disagree, and say, "the enginesare made to run that way," or whatever, but the vast majority of '07 owners are making the changes (at least from what I read on this forum, and from my experience here in Vegas).
Second: Many are experiencing the 6 speed tranny making an unnatural racket, especially in 5th gear. Gears 2, 3, 4, and 6 are helical, while 1 and 5 are straight cut. This, I'm told, is the reason for the noise. I guess I can live with that explanaition, but in opinion (and I'm no mechanic) when you get that much noise from metal hitting metal, somethings gonna give eventually. Use "search" here on the forum, and you'll find plenty of info and dialogue, on both issues.

Theextra two years of warranty cost me $664. I already gotmy bike for MSRP(depending where you live, many dealers mark the price up... hereit's about an extra $2,500), so the cost of the warranty was the only thing they's negotiate with me on. I think originally they wanted $800 something. Anyway, if something major goes wrong, I think it's well worth it.

FYI: I also got the VIP service plan ($1,500). It looks like about 50% of new owners are going with it, too. Personal choice.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:52 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've been buying cars and bikes for over 50 years and have never purchased an extended warranty and as of yet have not had one regret.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:53 PM
bgismo20
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got it on my bike, I am mechanically retarded. I got the 7 yr that includes all services & replacement costs for anything that goes wrong, It cost a pretty Penny but ive already made it up, its good piece of mind to have it I guess is the bottom line, if you get any accessories installed they are covered too.

Old 04-26-2007, 06:02 PM
waterdog
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: mistermooster

The two main issues with '07s (as I see it): Ok, not to scare you or anything, but there are a lot of folks concerned about the overly lean conditions (air/fuel ratio), which causes the bikes to run hot. Not really Harley's fault; they're required to meet the EPA's rediculous standards. In a nut shell, you'll probably have to get an after-market tuner (PC-III, V&H FuelPak, Harley's SE Race Tuner, ThunderMax, etc.), new air intake, and different exaust. You'll get some people who will disagree, and say, "the enginesare made to run that way," or whatever, but the vast majority of '07 owners are making the changes (at least from what I read on this forum, and from my experience here in Vegas).
Second: Many are experiencing the 6 speed tranny making an unnatural racket, especially in 5th gear. Gears 2, 3, 4, and 6 are helical, while 1 and 5 are straight cut. This, I'm told, is the reason for the noise. I guess I can live with that explanaition, but in opinion (and I'm no mechanic) when you get that much noise from metal hitting metal, somethings gonna give eventually. Use "search" here on the forum, and you'll find plenty of info and dialogue, on both issues.

Theextra two years of warranty cost me $664. I already gotmy bike for MSRP(depending where you live, many dealers mark the price up... hereit's about an extra $2,500), so the cost of the warranty was the only thing they's negotiate with me on. I think originally they wanted $800 something. Anyway, if something major goes wrong, I think it's well worth it.

FYI: I also got the VIP service plan ($1,500). It looks like about 50% of new owners are going with it, too. Personal choice.

Hope this helps.
Thanks mooster,

I have heard about both of those issues, but didn'tthink about your comment on the trannynoise issues as far as something eventually gonna give. I rented a 2007 from a different nearby dealer for two days and didn't really notice any excessive tranny noise, but did think it clunked pretty loudly into each gear.

On the first issue you mentioned, I thought, debated, argued with myself over whether it made any sense to need to change pipes on a brand new bike, but came to the conclusion that if it makes it run cooler, smoother and more power, but not alot louder, I might as well do it and have it covered under Harley's warranty. So, I have already included new pipes (V&H Q-series Staggered Double Barrels), the SE Stage 1 breather, and the FuelPak in my purchase. These will likely be installed prior to bringing her home, depending upon when they get the pipes in.

Thanks for the info on the extended warranty and the VIP Service plan. I have pretty much decided to go with the service plan, as I will be paying for all but $103 anyway for the scheduled service, and think the chances of needing at least one of the repair services is highly likely to occur. If so, then I save money in the first 3 years (or 10k miles). The extended warranty I'm still undecided about, but I'll have to be making a decision on that very soon, as I'm leaving shortly to go test drive my bike.

Thanks again!

waterdog

Old 04-27-2007, 01:00 AM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member

Something you may think about. If you decide in say 4 years to sell your H~D. The prespective buyer may not know you or know how you took care of your scoot. But with a 1 year H~D warranty thrown in at no cost to him, it is cheap insurance, and salesman ship.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:23 AM
timdow
Tourer

Waterdog said:
Thanks for the feedback timdow. I take it the service plan you mention is for the first 10,000 miles scheduled maintenance?
The extended service plan I bought is forthree years, unlimited mileage. I signed up when they offerend to waive any interest (0% on the extended warranty and service plan). Should have told them "no," or even "Hell No!" I figure that if I ride 25K in the three years, I will come out ahead. Most folks won't put on that kind of mileage, so it is not cost effective, and there are some serious drawbacks (tied to one dealer, what if you move, etc).

A 10K plan might be OK, but still there is no sense buying it unless it is going to save you $$$. I believe you are thinking correctly when you say that you probably won't need the battery or other parts in 10K miles.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:28 AM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

Just wait and see and buy it before the standard 2 year warranty runs out. I never buy extended warranty's but it's up to you and you have all the way up to the end of your 2 year warranty to buy the extended warranty. Maybe the stealer didn't tell you that.

Old 04-27-2007, 04:09 AM
waterdog
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: oldfartjc

Just wait and see and buy it before the standard 2 year warranty runs out. I never buy extended warranty's but it's up to you and you have all the way up to the end of your 2 year warranty to buy the extended warranty. Maybe the stealer didn't tell you that.
Yes, he did tell me that oldfart, but also that the extended service plans covers some things in the first 2 years that the Manufacturer's warranty does not,such as;towing on the bike if you have a breakdown, tires and wheel damage due to road hazards, and hotel accomodations when you have a breakdown.

ORIGINAL: timdow

Something you may think about. If you decide in say 4 years to sell your H~D. The prespective buyer may not know you or know how you took care of your scoot. But with a 1 year H~D warranty thrown in at no cost to him, it is cheap insurance, and salesman ship.
I seriously doubt that I will be selling this bike in the next few years, timdow. I pondered long and hard on which model to get. I spent days and days looking at different models on HD's website,sat on dozens at the dealers, and even test rode a couple models before deciding upon the Heritage Classic. Then I rented one for two days, put over 270 miles on itand was really sold.

You do make a good point though that the transferable extended warranty would be a perk to a prospective buyer. But, this is likely the last bike I'll buy in my life and I plan to keep it until I'm too old to ride anymore. I may have to grow old, but I don't have to grow up!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, First Thanks to everyone for their input and comments. Thanks to all y'all, I feel like I've made an informed decision.I never purchase the optional extended warranties on products, not even on computers.Usually I feel that I've made the right decisions and have only gotten burned a coupletimes.

BUT,on this purchase, my gut instincts are that the cost of engine and tranny repairs on this bike, if needed, could be quite steep.Idecided that I fall into the group of "the peace of mind over the next several years is worth the cost now" theory for this purchase. So, I have decided toget a few years of extended warrantywith the bike. If it proves to have been worth it several years down the road, then I'll think about extending it a few more years. If not......well, I will have learned. You never know if the decisions that you make today are good ones or not until sometimes months or years later, so time will tell if I'm being stupid or a genius.

Thanks, again for all the thoughs, comments and input.

Old 04-27-2007, 10:01 AM
rushguy
Cruiser

Usually I turn this crap down on my cars at least, except for tire plans. I did get the service plan..vip or whatever and I got the extended warranty as well. Any work I have done outside the cosmetics I can do will be done by them so it will always be covered.

Quick Reply: Extended Service Plan ??