General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

reactions to a harley..

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 01:22 PM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: reactions to a harley..

ORIGINAL: madden23

I just bought my first Harley, 2007 Super Glide, and I love it. I have had numerous bikes over the years, Honda, Susuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, BSA, Triumph. What surprised me after decades of riding is the animosity some people have toward Harley owners, even fellow bikers. Most of the time you get a big thumbs up but too often a scowl like your a deviant about to rack and pillage the town. I never had any kind of reaction from anyone riding a metric. I had a confrontation with someone wanting to know "Why I wanted to be so loud" (I am running legal pipes VH with "quiet baffles", deep but not that loud.) Noone ever commented about about Triumph with drilled out Dunstall pipes, much louder. (I was a lot younger then) I find it a little humorous and surprising. I just want to ride and have fun. But I was totally surprised at the reactions I have gotten, if they ever actually rode a Harley they would know what a kick it was, and other bikers would really know what pride of ownership really means. Harley owners take better care of their bikes, they hold their value, they care about their bikes. Ever see a Harley rusting out in the yard like a 3 year old metric? Any way I'm on new ground here and loving it.
Could be the fact that Harley riders represent men who look, act and smell like men in an area of the country (Seattle) commited to the pussification of men.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:32 PM
Brackneyc
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: BadBobOk

ORIGINAL: madden23

I just bought my first Harley, 2007 Super Glide, and I love it. I have had numerous bikes over the years, Honda, Susuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, BSA, Triumph. What surprised me after decades of riding is the animosity some people have toward Harley owners, even fellow bikers. Most of the time you get a big thumbs up but too often a scowl like your a deviant about to rack and pillage the town. I never had any kind of reaction from anyone riding a metric. I had a confrontation with someone wanting to know "Why I wanted to be so loud" (I am running legal pipes VH with "quiet baffles", deep but not that loud.) Noone ever commented about about Triumph with drilled out Dunstall pipes, much louder. (I was a lot younger then) I find it a little humorous and surprising. I just want to ride and have fun. But I was totally surprised at the reactions I have gotten, if they ever actually rode a Harley they would know what a kick it was, and other bikers would really know what pride of ownership really means. Harley owners take better care of their bikes, they hold their value, they care about their bikes. Ever see a Harley rusting out in the yard like a 3 year old metric? Any way I'm on new ground here and loving it.
Could be the fact that Harley riders represent men who look, act and smell like men in an area of the country (Seattle) commited to the pussification of men.

I don't know why, but I laughed out loud when I read this. Are you saying Seattle is no place for a real man. Too funny.
Sorry if I offended any of you Pacific Northwest folks. You're all men too. Please don't send anyone over to beat me up...and if you do, have them bring me a Coffee from Starbucks.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:38 PM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Brackneyc
I don't know why, but I laughed out loud when I read this. Are you saying Seattle is no place for a real man. Too funny.
Sorry if I offended any of you Pacific Northwest folks. You're all men too. Please don't send anyone over to beat me up...and if you do, have them bring me a Coffee from Starbucks.
No, I'm not saying that Seattle is no place for a real man at all and intend no offense to the riders from the Northwest.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:49 PM
Brackneyc
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: BadBobOk

ORIGINAL: Brackneyc
No, I'm not saying that Seattle is no place for a real man at all and intend no offense to the riders from the Northwest.

I didn't take it that way, but I'm from Illinois. I'm sure that all of us have run into the pussified men. Hell, I'm sure to someone, I too am pussified. I do swerve or slow down to avoid hitting squirrels.

Old 04-27-2007, 06:05 PM
saidin43
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny enough, I've never had a bad reaction to my RG...about the worst anyone has done to me is not wave back... Welcome to the HD family!

Old 04-27-2007, 06:15 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: SCJE8

I've ridden bikes for a lot of years. I've always owned Hondas...Gold Wings and VTX machines. They were always nice, always clean, and always an attention getter. But people's reactions were always sorta 'ho-hum.' I currenty have a 2006 VTX1800C (which I've been trying to sell for the last few months), black with flames that is nothing less than awesome! Corbin seat, Cobra pipes...it looks and sounds great! A few months back I took it out for a spin andwas at a stop light whena car pulled along side and this 8-10 year old boy in the backseat. The boyrolled down the window and asked, "What kind of Harley is that?" I chuckled andpolitely told him it wasn't a Harley, but a Honda 1800. He got real serious and said, "But Hondas suck!" I could have fell over! The light changed and off I went wondering what the hell was wrong with me!

This is my first Harley-Davidson...and the difference is huge! I've got the beast fixed up great and people take notice...a lot of notice! Even women and girls want to talk to me about HD motorcycles at the Citgo station when I'm getting gas. It's a universal admiration of the name and history of the machine! I love it!

Now...I can't wait to pull up beside thatdamn little kid again!

Take care...

Steve
Dude, you got dissed by an 8 year old??? Too funny. Seriously though the VTX is a nice friggin' bike, but I'll never ride rice again...Unless of course I lose my job and can't afford my Harley anymore (Praying that never happens).

Old 04-27-2007, 06:26 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

I find it funny but somewhat cool about the "rep". For example, I go to my local Home Depot all the time. When I'm dressed in my work clothes, work on the house clothes or shorts I can walk out and test virtually anything on my car, etc. But when I'm dressed in gear, the lady wouldn't let me walk a $4.50 set of allen wrenches out to my Deuce to see if they had a large enough size. Similarly, parents have steared their kids around me and my brother dressed in ridin atire at Dunkin havin' a coffee - when we have two kids between us and are two of the most responsible, loving parents you'll find anywhere.

Just last night I was watching The Unit and saw how most people sterotype about bikers and H-D riders. One of the Unit guys walks into a biker bar, and when a Harley/Biker looking dude comes up to the bar, he tells them he's got 35k in a bag (gonna spend it before he divorces the wife). It's like cause he looks like that and rides a bike, The Unit guy picked him cause they're always criminals!! And of course, two or three of the biker lookin dudes follow him on the way out of the bar and try to take his cash with a knife and a pistol.

Old 04-27-2007, 06:51 PM
dhubley
Cruiser

Never had a negative response or nasty glare on my HD. All thumbs up and smiles.

I subscribe the Bad Bob's pussification theory.

Old 04-27-2007, 07:00 PM
JBA111
Road Captain

ditch all the Harley stuff and start up a talk with some ricer guys and man talk about getting bad mouthed!! Especially the rice rockets, the metric cursier guys seem like a different breed than the crotch rocket guys.
Semes they live to put down Harleys! and what's funny is alot of us Harleys guys have crotch rockets too!! strange aint it ??

Old 04-27-2007, 07:26 PM
KenM
Road Master

I've only had guys telling why they didn't get HD - usually they feel they got more for the money - Good I say

I had a little old lady come up to me at the gas bar (she was from Eastern Europe) and in a heavy accent told me what a beautiful bike I had and the told me how she used to go for rides in her younger days.
I had a great time talking with her.

By the way - WELCOME

Quick Reply: reactions to a harley..