General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

reactions to a harley..

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 01:06 AM
madden23
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: reactions to a harley..

Well I should probably stop kicking dog's and stop flipping off crotch rockets, that would probably bring my animosity level down to a dull roar, lol (kidding)

Old 04-26-2007, 01:09 AM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: madden23

I just bought my first Harley, 2007 Super Glide, and I love it. I have had numerous bikes over the years, Honda, Susuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, BSA, Triumph. What surprised me after decades of riding is the animosity some people have toward Harley owners, even fellow bikers. Most of the time you get a big thumbs up but too often a scowl like your a deviant about to rack and pillage the town. I never had any kind of reaction from anyone riding a metric. I had a confrontation with someone wanting to know "Why I wanted to be so loud" (I am running legal pipes VH with "quiet baffles", deep but not that loud.) Noone ever commented about about Triumph with drilled out Dunstall pipes, much louder. (I was a lot younger then) I find it a little humorous and surprising. I just want to ride and have fun. But I was totally surprised at the reactions I have gotten, if they ever actually rode a Harley they would know what a kick it was, and other bikers would really know what pride of ownership really means. Harley owners take better care of their bikes, they hold their value, they care about their bikes. Ever see a Harley rusting out in the yard like a 3 year old metric? Any way I'm on new ground here and loving it.
Congrats and welcome...Glad you came to your senses! Ride safe!

Old 04-26-2007, 01:13 AM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A Ricer owner doesn't look like this.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:15 AM
BrianDamage
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I felt kinda bad for this dude at work the other day....he had ridden his Honda Rebel in to "show it off" to these 2 dudes he works with (one with a Yamaha, other just bought a Fatboy) ... I normally don't ride to work (company truck) but had made arrangements to this day. My apprentice got to laughing like hell....he said he watched them walk over to dude's rebel and after about 2 minutes, the veteran rider looked over and saw my new Road King and was like "HEEEEEYYYY!!!" and next thing you know I am having to go out there and crank it up

Old 04-26-2007, 01:17 AM
madden23
Road Master

Land of Starbuck's and Microsoft, and Evergreens, Harley's ok... kinda

Old 04-26-2007, 07:02 AM
DinoVelvet
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: madden23

Land of Starbuck's and Microsoft, and Evergreens, Harley's ok... kinda
yoy gonna make it to the Oyster Run in Anacortes in september? sounds like you're not that far away.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:08 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

It has always amazed me how eager people are to talk about bikes when on my Harleys.Of course there a lot of tough guy wannaBe's.Those boys give me a chuckle.

Old 04-26-2007, 11:36 AM
SCJE8
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've ridden bikes for a lot of years. I've always owned Hondas...Gold Wings and VTX machines. They were always nice, always clean, and always an attention getter. But people's reactions were always sorta 'ho-hum.' I currenty have a 2006 VTX1800C (which I've been trying to sell for the last few months), black with flames that is nothing less than awesome! Corbin seat, Cobra pipes...it looks and sounds great! A few months back I took it out for a spin andwas at a stop light whena car pulled along side and this 8-10 year old boy in the backseat. The boyrolled down the window and asked, "What kind of Harley is that?" I chuckled andpolitely told him it wasn't a Harley, but a Honda 1800. He got real serious and said, "But Hondas suck!" I could have fell over! The light changed and off I went wondering what the hell was wrong with me!

This is my first Harley-Davidson...and the difference is huge! I've got the beast fixed up great and people take notice...a lot of notice! Even women and girls want to talk to me about HD motorcycles at the Citgo station when I'm getting gas. It's a universal admiration of the name and history of the machine! I love it!

Now...I can't wait to pull up beside thatdamn little kid again!

Take care...

Steve

Old 04-26-2007, 11:40 AM
Philt
Road Master

Welcome to the HD family! Ya gotta love it!
Phil

Old 04-26-2007, 11:46 AM
Big Sled
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 8,452 Likes on 4,365 Posts

One of the Life Rules:
A. Don't sweat the small stuff,
B. Much of what other people think about your pursuits is small stuff.

Quick Reply: reactions to a harley..