General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riders Edge Course

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 04:09 PM
babygrl
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riders Edge Course

I would like to ask aquestion please. I am new to riding and taking the Rider's Edge class on Monday. As you might guess I'm a bit nervous. I have looked on the website and spoke with the Instructor about the class and I'm sure some of you can give me more what to expect than just reading on the website. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance...

Old 04-25-2007, 05:09 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Riders Edge Course

Do a search on "Riders Edge" and you should get some hits. Good luck.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:58 PM
jdgarant
Advanced

ORIGINAL: rider57

I would like to ask aquestion please. I am new to riding and taking the Rider's Edge class on Monday. As you might guess I'm a bit nervous. I have looked on the website and spoke with the Instructor about the class and I'm sure some of you can give me more what to expect than just reading on the website. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance...

I took the Rider's Edge beginner course in 2004. I had only ridden in parking lots before then. I really enjoyed the course.

The class started with about 25 people and ended with around 15, with 3 instructors (all police officers in my case) they had the time to address everyone's concerns and work with those having difficulties. (Where is the clutch?)

We each had our own Buell Blast 250 to learn on which was very helpful since they are so easy to ride and made out of plastic.

We had about 5 people in the class who were long-time riders and they all admitted to learning some things and correcting some things they had been doing for safety reasons.

I would recommend the course, even though it is pretty expensive compared to the MSF courses offered at other places. The Intermediate and higher courses require you to bring your own bike, and to be honest, I don't think I could do that figure 8 in that tight box on my FXDX since it sits so high.

Old 04-25-2007, 06:05 PM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The course is great. Fun too. 2 girls were there that never even rode before and did great. You will enjoy it

Old 04-25-2007, 06:57 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just pay attention and trust what your instructors tell you. There were a few things I didn't really understand during the class so I thought, "I'll do it his way just so I pass the class". Then I bought my RK. Once I got out on the highway everything they taught and the reasons for it became crystal clear.

To me, one of the benefits of the class I took was it was taught at the local dealership. One of the instructors also runs the rental department. He puts together a dinner ride every month for all past class graduates. I've also been back a few times to question him on a few things and he's always willing to help with whatever info I need.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:41 PM
jca_54
Tourer

rider57,
I've beenan MSF instructor here in Texas for about three years and am scheduled to go to Riders Edge Instructor training in June.Riders Edge utilizes the MSF curriculum with a little Harleymarketing thrown in. The first few exercises are designed for someone who has never ridden a motorcycle before and subsequent exercises gradually build your skills and confidence. Just relax, listen to your instructors and follow their directions.If you have any experience with a manual transmission (car or bike) that will help, but even if you don't you'll be OK.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17815/48DDE6DE055542C18EC885CA723A6322.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-25-2007, 07:46 PM
cajunman831
Tourer

take it.i took it and am very happy.it saved my butt a few times.very good course.when i took it,i hadn,t rode in 30 years.you,ll be
riding a buell blast.lol good luck

Old 04-26-2007, 12:14 PM
bearc.paw
Tourer

My wife took the course never riden before. Very much enjoyed the course MSF. Upon graduating she is now riding my old bike an 1400 Intruder. She was tenative at first, but a few miles she actually a very good rider. While out riding if she was doing something wrong, she would tell me her insructor and what she was taught all came back to her. The only thing I saw she wasn't doing was she wasdriving the bike not riding, Now she's leaning, not hesitant. In my opinion best many spent the course and saving lives. BearC.Paw.....

Old 04-26-2007, 12:41 PM
PWHOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took a three day advanced course 2 years ago and I thought it was the best money I have ever spent. I passed my bike test in 1972 and at my age thought that I was quite a good rider but the things that Riders Edge teach tought me a few things and I soon realised what a life saver this course can be.

Old 04-26-2007, 04:54 PM
ckgdrums
Outstanding HDF Member

My wife starts the Rider's Edge Basic Rider course on May 10. She's excited. I'm nervous. She has limited experience to bikes. If her enthusiasm is a guage, she'll be fine. LOL.

Quick Reply: Riders Edge Course