General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riders Edge Course

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 05:50 PM
smittyp83
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Riders Edge Course

I had been riding on and off for several years and I finally took the Riders Edge course last year. I thought I knew how to ride, but I was wrong! I use the techniques I learned every day and the emergency stopping has saved my butt more than a few times!

It was well worth it. The class was 4 days, then on the 5th day, a rep fro mthe DMV came out to give us all the driver's test. When we passed, he stamped our form to bring to the DMV and get your license.

Old 04-26-2007, 05:52 PM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a blast taking the class!!

Old 04-26-2007, 06:22 PM
dsuppa
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never rode before I got my sporty so I NEEDED to take that class and it was worth it. And the rider coaches do everything they can to make it fun. The first night was boring because we were just in the class room for like 3 hours watching some horrible video. The second day was awesome class for like an hour and a half then like 6 hours of actual course riding, and for someone who never rode before other than taking my sporty around the block a couple of times this was FUN!!

Overall the class was fun and very helpful, I've avoided more than one accident because of things I learned in the class.

Good Luck, you'll have a great time.

Old 04-26-2007, 06:35 PM
scooter1369
Cruiser

Probably the best desicion you have made so far!!! One instructor on my class was a cop. I think that says a whole lot. I still hang out with one of the guys that I took the class with. Only one person dropped out of my class. He really didn't want to be there though. Present from the wife. Anyways, I think you will have a great experience and you'll learn a bunch.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:17 AM
babygrl
Cruiser

Thanks for all the responces. I'm very excited and nervous all at the same time.

Old 04-27-2007, 08:42 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I took the Rider's Edge course a couple of months ago at my local HD dealer and consider it one of the very best investments of time and money that I have ever made (even better than chrome footboards!).

First day was introductions to each other (about 12 people in my class of varying experience levels) and a lot of classroom instruction with videos, whiteboard, and the manual.
Second day we put on the helmets and got on the bikes. Everyone started at the same level: using the clutch and throttle, using the brakes, slow speed handling of the bike.
Third and fourth days were the same - more advanced bike handling, collision avoidance, traffic laws.
Fifth day was the written test and riding test.

The course was well thought out, and less experienced riders felt very comfortable and were never pushed to keep up or progress faster. At the same time, the experienced riders had a lot of fun and learned a lot. The skill of the instructors in managing the class really made it fun, challenging, and very valuable.

Have a great time! The instructors won't let you get in over your head and will ensure that you have a good experience.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:34 AM
dhubley
Cruiser

Once you get into the class your nerves will settle. You will see that there are other folks there with limited or no riding experience. The instructors are great and know how to teach.

Have fun with it. You will meet some nice folks and enjoy the course.

Old 04-27-2007, 11:51 AM
babygrl
Cruiser

Pastor John,
I see you are in Atlanta. I will be taking the course at HD of Atlanta. I sure hope the instructorshave patience and have a sense of humor with this newbie...

Old 05-03-2007, 11:11 AM
babygrl
Cruiser

Chuck, I just finished the course and it was a blast. I passed with flying colors and I had always been the passenger. It is well worth the knowledge and the money. Tell your wife she will be glad she took it.
P.S. I'm only 5'2" 102 lbs so if I can do it anyone can...

Old 05-03-2007, 11:34 AM
ckgdrums
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks, 57! I'm sure she'll be glad to hear that.

Quick Reply: Riders Edge Course