General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding in Southern Idaho

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 01:52 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 541 Likes on 241 Posts
Default Riding in Southern Idaho

My brother and I want to hook up for a few days of riding in early June. He lives in Denver and I'm in Seattle. We were looking for a place equal distance between the two and came up with Twin Falls, Idaho. I know they have the Snake River Canyon (that Evil Knevil tried to jump) and some pretty water falls but was wondering about the riding in the area. We figured we would take day rides using Twin Falls as our hub. Anyone have experience or knowledge of riding in this area?

Old 04-25-2007, 02:15 PM
Cramps
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Riding in Southern Idaho

Hi Rick,
I don't have any personal experience of the area but I'd like to explore it in the future. You'll be close to the Sawtooth National recreation area, the Craters of the Moon National monument and not too far away is Yellowstone National Park. Looks like the hardest decision to make is whether to head north, south, east or west! I'm sure no matter which direction you go the scenery and ride is going to be fantastic. Dave

Old 04-25-2007, 02:21 PM
ZD
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Back in the mid 1970s, I spent quite a lot of time in Idaho... The ramp for Evil's canyon jump is still there over the Snake River Canyon, and there are tons of neat roads to take. I spent time in Hagerman, which was at the time a small town of about 600 people, and had my own business there. One of my customers brought me a Sporster that kept munching the tranny, and said "Fix it and you can ride it 'till I get back". He was working on the Alaskan Pipeline at the time, so I fixed it and rode the be-jezzus out of it! lol Great touring in Idaho!

Old 04-25-2007, 04:45 PM
BIGSKY_FLHXI
Road Master

Don't be misled. Yellowstone National Park is actually about 4-5 hours southeast of Twin. If it were me, I would go a little farther North (around the McCall area) Beautiful mountain riding. Southern Idaho is farms and sagebrush. For me that is not real nice driving. I much prefer to see trees, streams etc. I lived in Pocatello for many years and am tired of all the brown that makes up Southern Idaho. If you do start out in Twin you are a hop skip and a jump from Jackpot Nevada where all the Southern Idahoans go to gamble.

Old 04-25-2007, 04:57 PM
SaltyBagger
Tourer

You are heading for some of the most beautiful scenes and riding in the country. Depending on the loop you want to do you can start in Boise through Idaho City to Stanley to Chalis and back to Boise via Craters of the Moon. There are lots of ways to do this type of ride but if you do go DO NOT miss the Galena summit ride fromKetchum to Stanley - absolutly jaw dropping.

There is soomuch great riding in that areait couldn't be covered in any reasonable format here.

Old 04-25-2007, 05:04 PM
akhddeluxe
Cruiser

i am going to be in that area at the same time. i live in alaska and i am picking my bike up in southern mississippi and riding it to boulder, colo and the on to twin falls, idaho ( in laws 50th ) i am planning on being in boulder about may 31st or june 1st, then leaving for twin falls,on about june 4th i have to be in twin falls by the 8th. nothing set in stone so maybe if your bro need a travel partner we could hook up if noti would like to visit with both of you in twin falls and maybe do a ride there. anyways to your question there is a website about roads to travel by state ive looked at idaho and seems like there are some great day trips. here is the site. www.MotorcycleRoads
ORIGINAL: FXDXTSport

My brother and I want to hook up for a few days of riding in early June. He lives in Denver and I'm in Seattle. We were looking for a place equal distance between the two and came up with Twin Falls, Idaho. I know they have the Snake River Canyon (that Evil Knevil tried to jump) and some pretty water falls but was wondering about the riding in the area. We figured we would take day rides using Twin Falls as our hub. Anyone have experience or knowledge of riding in this area?

Old 04-25-2007, 05:20 PM
LowriderFXRS
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I second the Ketchum, over Galena summit, to Stanley, to Challis, to Arco, etc. loop. Beautiful riding.

Old 04-25-2007, 06:45 PM
ladyglide
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: akhddeluxe

i am going to be in that area at the same time. i live in alaska and i am picking my bike up in southern mississippi and riding it to boulder, colo and the on to twin falls, idaho ( in laws 50th ) i am planning on being in boulder about may 31st or june 1st, then leaving for twin falls,on about june 4th i have to be in twin falls by the 8th. nothing set in stone so maybe if your bro need a travel partner we could hook up if noti would like to visit with both of you in twin falls and maybe do a ride there. anyways to your question there is a website about roads to travel by state ive looked at idaho and seems like there are some great day trips. here is the site. www.MotorcycleRoads
ORIGINAL: FXDXTSport

If you guys like "shop shirts" the Snake H-D dealer in Twin has an awesom logo on theirs. A Rattlesnake wrapped around the V-twin motor. I had to buy a round of jackets/t's, for my guy, and the kiddles.
You guys will all have a great ride in the Twin Area.
The Evil Kneivil ramp is now on private property, but is still quite visible if you look east, off the bridge as you come/go from the north end of Twin, where Blue lakes blvd becomes the hwy north.

Also, a walk along the canyon trail, will get ya some nice views, and pics of the Snake River/canyon.
Most of the water will already be diverted from the falls for irrigation, but there may still be some going over.
If not, I do have this one of Shoshone falls, taken Apr. 5th of this year. According to the signage, water levels were considered low, when this pic was taken.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5516/628EA9127CF346869FC8943D4184D1D5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-25-2007, 07:54 PM
Aroberts
Tourer

I live in Boise, I second the trip throught the sawtooths, head up to Stanley and come back through McCall.

Anywhere up in there you will love the ride. I haven't done any rides in the mountains yet ( Just bought my bike 2 weeks ago ) But this weekend its suppose to be in the 80's so If I don't go kayaking I will be up there in the Hog

Enjoy Idaho, I know I do

Old 04-25-2007, 10:25 PM
moparman2
Intermediate

Beautiful country around Twin Falls. Ketchum area, Sun Valley, go further on up in Idaho to the Stanley area, the Salmon river area. Yes there are lots of sagebrush valleys but the mountains are beautiful. The Shoeshone/Ketchum/Sun Valley area are not that far from Twin Falls Lots of open roads with not much traffic. Enjoy,

Quick Reply: Riding in Southern Idaho