General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1960 Restore

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2015 | 03:41 PM
'60Panhead
|
6th Gear
Default 1960 Restore

Recently received my dads 1960 DouGlide, he was taken from us by lung cancer..I am

trying to rebuild it in his image.. Im a firefighter in florida, with a family of 4.. Needless to say there's not much wiggle room in our budget.. Trying to raise a bit of money to restore the bike.. I will be turning the wrenchs myself (everything but bench building the motor)

Last edited by IzzoQuazzo; 05-02-2015 at 05:26 PM.
Old 05-02-2015 | 03:53 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by '60Panhead
Recently received my dads 1960 DouGlide,

Little if anything in that pic came from a duo-glide...what are you going to do with it? Do you have the motor? Post a pic if you do.

Old 05-02-2015 | 04:21 PM
'60Panhead
|
6th Gear

I'm going to put it back on the road again... Your correct its built out from a FLH '60 Pan.. Motor was in process of overhaul when my father passed... Need to find a mechanic in my area to bench build the motor (panhead mechanic's few and far between) everything else I will do the work

Old 05-02-2015 | 04:37 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

You have a long road ahead of you for this to be a runner again my friend and it's gonna cost too but that aside sorry about loosing your dad but nice score on the project. Like's been mentioned there's nothing panhead in those pics but the bigger engine parts from what I see.

Old 05-02-2015 | 04:44 PM
'60Panhead
|
6th Gear

Thank you! And oh yeah I know its gonna be a bit.. The upside, everything is there for the motor.. New rods, bearings, pistons, etc (down to the gasket kit) just need a guy who knows pans.. Also have a guy for cleaning and powder coating frame... The odds and ends in between will be my biggest cost

Old 05-02-2015 | 08:29 PM
tagalongtrouble
Tourer

good luck! it sure will be satisfying when you complete it. Keep us posted brother.

Old 05-03-2015 | 12:26 AM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

Nice looking mutt you have there. Your dad had good taste going with a pan motor. Frame looks to be Shovel era with FX style gauges. Take a look at the top motor motor mount, right side. Should be a letter and a number that will give you the year of the frame, so you have a starting point.

Looks like he was running a Bendix carb from the pics (your second post). They work fine but you might want to think about an S&S E when you get some extra green.

Did he have an e-start on it? Almost looks like he did from the 1st pic.

Take pics of what you have in the crates, detailes pics are best. Things like cases, heads, cylinders and such have date codes that can help identify your mutt. Take pics of what you have on the frame before you tear it down. Always help when you get around to putting it back together and you come upon the awe $hit moment of trying to remember how it all fits.

Tranny has the same type of coding for the box.

Get a shop manual. Cant say a HD will be the best (becuase of the mutt status is all) so at least get Clymers.

My brother-in-law recently retired to Florida. He rides a chopped 50 pan. I will ask and see if he has found anyone that is a good indie for pan motors (he lives in the Daytona area). if he has someone I will definitely let you know.

Sorry about your pop. He has to be smiling though knowing you are keeping the dream alive.

Old 05-03-2015 | 07:42 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

Sorry for your loss.

I would get it back to the way he last had it. I wouldn't refinish anything. Patina my friend. Patina.

Old 05-03-2015 | 09:12 AM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

the real value in any older machine is in the original parts - that aside you could get to that place if you really want it as it was - But it does not sound like you have the means

real ones - today they bring 15,000 and more seen them 45,000 dont believe it sold for that -

in the 60s powder coating was not invented yet as a paint product and it takes real course media to remove it and in some cases destroying the original look to the frames inner workings / flat areas to mount things - it would be better to just spray bomb it

the bike has all the cheap somewhat better brakes then the original bike had - the FXWG forks are a little better then the originals -

what you have is a 10,000 dollar bike turn key and running with nice looking paint and chrome -- what you have is a box of parts that with the machine you have would cost 7000 to do the motor alone - having CCI pistons in view and saying you have rods if they are CCI like the pistons in my shop it all goes into the garbage < cheAPEST CHINA STUFF YOU CAN FIND --

in my opinion it will cost you 12,000 to make it a 10,000 dollar rideable reliable machine

in any state FLA is no exception you can go to the wrong guy and loose big time - you need to really to and see what the shops have to offer you - and you need to talk to those who use the guys shop - the twinkies boutiques have NO idea what they are doing with a motor like a pan head - i am doing 11 motors right now knuckels pans and shovels only one is a first time overhaul the rest are fixing all the mistakes that have been made by bloviating morons who like to hear themselves talk - and you are paying twice the normal rate as time is money - caution with who you pick

Old 05-03-2015 | 09:17 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

As the other's have said, long road.
In the end, most likely won't be worth it $$$ wise.
Not too much of it looks original.
You may want to re-think your plan.

Quick Reply: 1960 Restore