General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1960 Restore

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015 | 01:27 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
the real value in any older machine is in the original parts - that aside you could get to that place if you really want it as it was - But it does not sound like you have the means

real ones - today they bring 15,000 and more seen them 45,000 dont believe it sold for that -

in the 60s powder coating was not invented yet as a paint product and it takes real course media to remove it and in some cases destroying the original look to the frames inner workings / flat areas to mount things - it would be better to just spray bomb it

the bike has all the cheap somewhat better brakes then the original bike had - the FXWG forks are a little better then the originals -

what you have is a 10,000 dollar bike turn key and running with nice looking paint and chrome -- what you have is a box of parts that with the machine you have would cost 7000 to do the motor alone - having CCI pistons in view and saying you have rods if they are CCI like the pistons in my shop it all goes into the garbage < cheAPEST CHINA STUFF YOU CAN FIND --

in my opinion it will cost you 12,000 to make it a 10,000 dollar rideable reliable machine

in any state FLA is no exception you can go to the wrong guy and loose big time - you need to really to and see what the shops have to offer you - and you need to talk to those who use the guys shop - the twinkies boutiques have NO idea what they are doing with a motor like a pan head - i am doing 11 motors right now knuckels pans and shovels only one is a first time overhaul the rest are fixing all the mistakes that have been made by bloviating morons who like to hear themselves talk - and you are paying twice the normal rate as time is money - caution with who you pick
Pay attention to here, John is who I was going to suggest you contact about about getting that crate of parts turned into a reliable motor again and honestly that's the core of the bike the rest you can figure out on your own or one the local indies fly by nights can help with.

Old 05-03-2015 | 06:42 PM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member

A word of caution - don't let experts scare you off of a labor of love. They have an entirely different view of what that bike is than you do. Yes - they are "experts" and as such know what it would cost to do it "right". I'm surrounded by guys like that and some of their names are on our bikes (Milwaukee - hello?) But, it is clear that your dad had a vision for that bike which had little to do with originality and what experts think.

That is why I advised you to just put it back the way your dad had it. You can honor his memory by recreating his ride. It can be done on your budget over time. I know this for a fact as we have a huge chop-culture here in Milwaukee that revolves around bikes just like that one. Originality and "the right way" are thrown on the bonfire. But, the end result is a cool bike that was built in some guy's garage with sweat, perseverance, ingenuity, research, and just plain luck. Yeah, money is involved too - but not the kind that experts talk about.

You want a nice original pan - buy a nice original pan. You want your Dad's bike to roll - get it rolling. Two different topics.

Keep us posted and best of luck to you.

Old 05-03-2015 | 09:31 PM
panz4ever
Seasoned HDF Member

My opinion (a home grown garage mechanic since 1965)...you can get a motor built up for between 2500-5000 if all the parts are there.

My suggestion...mock everything up with the exception of the motor. That way you know exactly what you have. That way you know what you will need to do everything except the motor.

You haven't said how much mechanical knowledge you have but to keep it affordable (before and after maintenance) you really need to do as much as you can.

Your pop wasn't rebuilding a "restored" bike, he was building a "bitsa" bike from parts from various years. If it were me, I would invest in the motor, rattle can the tins and make sure that stopping components were good to go as they are.

Get it running first. After that you can worry above cosmetic improvements.

Old 05-04-2015 | 07:55 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member

It was your Dads bike, and you want to restore it in his Image, so it does not matter what the bike is worth on the market, nor does it matter if the parts are all org or not. After all its your Dads original bike. Right? There will be lots of frustration on your journey but the end will be more than worth it to you. Do your home work and take your time. Its good to see a Son that does not just sell off the stuff that their Dad liked so much.

Old 05-04-2015 | 09:46 AM
RHPAW
Banned

That looks like one that was for sale here. Advertised as a '52. The only thing left somewhat original was the bottom end. The barrels were .070" over. I passed on it, even after they guy called me back to offer it for $3000. I would have restored it closer to original, and the Paughco frame along with the various swap meet crap was just extra garbage that I wouldn't use. The oversize barrels made me wonder what else was messed up (probably a cracked case, at least).
Some of my friends have started with less, and built some really nice Knucks and Pans, but they did it over a couple years. One of them won't use re-pop anything, and has a '26 JD with a sidecar that's better than the one Harley has at the museum...and he rides his.

Old 05-04-2015 | 10:01 AM
oct1949
Club Member

Originally Posted by nevada72
Sorry for your loss.

I would get it back to the way he last had it. I wouldn't refinish anything. Patina my friend. Patina.
Exactly what I was thinking.. One thing I've learned is most antiques are worth more with original/unmolested Patina still on them..

IMO a 55 yr old bike wouldn't/shouldn't/doesn't have to look new.. just and old man thinking.

Old 05-04-2015 | 12:39 PM
jakenok
Elite HDF Member

Ignore the value comments. It was your dad's bike. Along with the others who said so, I'd renovate it like your pops was doing. And for you guys throwing around numbers of "worth" you sound like ********. Its all about the love of the iron and putting together something that a relative had. Sound like a bunch of ****ing Corvette owners.

Old 05-04-2015 | 12:42 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member

Sorry for your loss, I think it's very cool that you want to bring your Dad's bike
back to the way HE wanted it. Despite the naysayers, and the cost.

Old 05-04-2015 | 04:29 PM
'60Panhead
|
6th Gear
Default thank you all

I really appreciate all the input.. And most of you have nailed it.. Me and my dad rode together (883 for me and his pan).. My favorite memory of this bike was our cruise up 19 all the way to panama city.. There is no monetary value to the bike in my opinion, This is not going to be an original pan it will be his vision.. What you see with some clean up and blacked out.. As for the motor, frame, transmission handshift foot clutch and kick start all original.. My dad was a true biker, in the since everything on his bike had a story from swap meets to wrecks.. I have a complete basket case (all there just not together)... Everything motor wise is in the box cleaned up, bored, gaskets,new pistons, rods, bearings, everything...
Im still having an issue finding someone to bench build the motor.. I was a mechanic prior to becoming a firefighter.. Ilk be able to save money on everything besides the motor build.. I'm afraid to take on the motor build, but everything else is mine

Old 05-04-2015 | 04:36 PM
'60Panhead
|
6th Gear

Oh and please share this link (Facebook,other forums, shops, etc), eventually it may get popular enough for someone or a company to take interest http:// http://www.gofundme.com/s7r85ng

Quick Reply: 1960 Restore