General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test ride a bike for sale

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 04:25 AM
crawdad
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test ride a bike for sale

Is it a common practice now not to let a prospective buyer test ride your bike? I’m in the market for one now and looking over ads I see that some sellers state that you won’t test ride their bike. A seller on another board said that you could only take a test ride if he had the full price of the bike in his hand.
I’ve sold 4 bikes in the past and always let the potential buyer test ride it. All I required was that they had a motorcycle endorsement on their license. I agree that you don’t want someone who’s learning to ride use your bike for the training. I think it would be much harder to sell if you don’t allow a test drive. I know I wouldn’t buy a car that way. I wouldn’t buy a bike that way either.

Old 04-16-2015, 04:40 AM
noraA
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just sold my last bike last month. Told the dude if you don't have the cash in my hand and a valid endorsment, you're not test riding it. He had the cash but not an endorsment so he bought the bike without riding it. I would never let someone ride my bike without having their cash in my hand.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:56 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

No more test rides been burned twice. A lost sale because no test ride is certainly Okay with me.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:10 AM
JD HD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by crawdad
Is it a common practice now not to let a prospective buyer test ride your bike? I’m in the market for one now and looking over ads I see that some sellers state that you won’t test ride their bike. A seller on another board said that you could only take a test ride if he had the full price of the bike in his hand.
I’ve sold 4 bikes in the past and always let the potential buyer test ride it. All I required was that they had a motorcycle endorsement on their license. I agree that you don’t want someone who’s learning to ride use your bike for the training. I think it would be much harder to sell if you don’t allow a test drive. I know I wouldn’t buy a car that way. I wouldn’t buy a bike that way either.
So what would you do if they wrecked it on a test ride? I'm getting ready to sell a Street Glide and have no intent on just letting anyone hop on it and take off. These bikes are just too expensive.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:11 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

wow...when I bought used I rode it...just like a car..get over it!!! its only a bike...my god

I had a guy back in 2000 that was selling a heritage ad said 99 drove 400 miles to his place and looked at the bike and asked!!!is this a 99? he said yep... I would have bought it on looks alone but I had someone with me who said no way!!! we test ride it or nothing...well that thing was a 89 and the tranny was junk....no test ride!!!hahhahahah

Originally Posted by JD HD
So what would you do if they wrecked it on a test ride? I'm getting ready to sell a Street Glide and have no intent on just letting anyone hop on it and take off. These bikes are just too expensive.
well thats why you have ins...

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 04-16-2015 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-16-2015, 06:14 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

I bet you'll find most are not willing to let their pride/joy venture off w/o full cash in hand and ensuring the potential buyer is licensed...I do (always) and the one time they weren't - I gave them a test "ride" (they rode bitch). I trust no-one...JMO.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:16 AM
JD HD
Road Captain

Originally Posted by scumBAGGER
well thats why you have ins...
So it's my problem if they wreck the bike? Come on man

Old 04-16-2015, 06:18 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

So it's my problem if they wreck the bike? Come on man
I payed more for my truck should I tell everyone no way you can test drive it when the time comes to sell?

Old 04-16-2015, 06:22 AM
JD HD
Road Captain

Originally Posted by scumBAGGER
I payed more for my truck should I tell everyone no way you can test drive it when the time comes to sell?
That's up to you, but trucks and cars don't fall over on their own either. We both know that riding a motorcycle takes more skill as well, and you have no idea what their level of skill is, especially if they show up in a car.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:28 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

That's up to you, but trucks and cars don't fall over on their own either. We both know that riding a motorcycle takes more skill as well, and you have no idea what their level of skill is, especially if they show up in a car.
no I let the last guy test ride my old bike then he bought it....the guy I bought that bike from, let me test ride it when I bought it...if not I would have owned a different bike...just like one the last posters..trust is a two way street..you don't trust me to ride it and now I don't trust you that your telling me everything thats up with the bike...like I said I had a guy trying to pawn a bike off as 10 years newer and the tranny was junk....

Quick Reply: Test ride a bike for sale