General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test ride a bike for sale

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 06:36 AM
AladinSane
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is up to the seller, it is still his bike. When I sold mine I only allowed test rides for people with an endorsement and that left me 100% of the cash.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:43 AM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,390 Likes on 1,561 Posts

A bike is easier to steal too and you generally can't go with them on the test ride. I haven't bought or sold a bike privately so I don't know what I'd do. I think it would likely depend on the kind of person that showed up.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:01 AM
ew25950
Road Master
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by dog155
No more test rides been burned twice. A lost sale because no test ride is certainly Okay with me.
Curious as to what happened Dog; were they just joyriding with no intent to buy, did they wreck it, steal it or what?

If I am the seller I'd be reluctant to let anyone just ride off with it. Maybe I'd do like the dealership does and ride beside them or something? However, If I'm the buyer you better believe I'm riding before buying.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:06 AM
JD HD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scumBAGGER
no I let the last guy test ride my old bike then he bought it....the guy I bought that bike from, let me test ride it when I bought it...if not I would have owned a different bike...just like one the last posters..trust is a two way street..you don't trust me to ride it and now I don't trust you that your telling me everything thats up with the bike...like I said I had a guy trying to pawn a bike off as 10 years newer and the tranny was junk....
I get what you are saying, but I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one. The way I look at it is once I have verified funds in my hands, you are free to test ride it. If you don't like it, and come back undamaged, I'll hand you your money back. If you dump it, it's now your problem, not mine. I'm not asking you for a full commitment purchase without riding it, I'm just taking the liability out of my hands with it.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:10 AM
2PawsRiver
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

A cycle endorsement, as for cash, my deductable.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:16 AM
ohiomike
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I bought all 3 of mine (used) with no test ride. All 3 were from dealers and the stipulation was after "buying" I had a guarantee if I wasn't satisfied, I could get my money back. Worked out ok everytime. Myself, selling I would need cash in hand before letting a test ride.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:16 AM
HardRider1
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 62 Posts

I don't see any issue asking the potential buyer for a valid endorsement and at least a large cash deposit (to cover deductibles and inconveniences) as a prerequisite for a test ride. As a note I would state these requirements in the ad at least the potential buyer (if they read the ad as opposed to looking at pictures) would know what to expect when they show up.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:20 AM
SD lumpy
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

If you have cash in hand the old saying goes you wreck it you bought it.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:48 AM
jsvt184
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I sold bikes I did not allow test rides. I told the potential buyer he could follow me while I rode it. I would consider the endorsement and cash in hand option. Many years ago I was selling a Suzuki RM465 (bad@ss moto crosser). I had it at my brother's house. He lived on a busy road so a lot of people could see it. Someone came to him and was interested in purchasing it. My brother allowed him to test ride it. Thank the lord the guy was honest. He did run it out of fuel and walked it back to my brother's house. He didn't buy it, just took it for a joy ride. He could of easily just stole the dirt bike. My brother caught an earful from me.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:59 AM
penmaker
Road Master
Received 449 Likes on 226 Posts

When I bought my first Harley (not my first bike by any means) a 1999 Ultra Classic, the owner let me test ride it. However, he was an old high school friend of my fathers and I had known him for years myself also. They graduated from high school in 1940 something and I bought the bike from him in 2013. If I was selling my current bike, 2014 Limited, I would require 100% cash in my hand before they got on it to test ride it. Like others have said, a car or truck is a lot different from a motorcycle.

Quick Reply: Test ride a bike for sale