General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: A poll
Fines are strictly for public safety.
13.87%
Fines have little to do with safety and a lot to do with money!
35.77%
Fines are mostly about money but safety is still an issue
50.36%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Are speeding tickets all about the money?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 01:46 AM
TxHarleyGuy2007
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Are speeding tickets all about the money?

Municipalities are not unlike any other business or corporation in that they require monies/revenue to remain an ongoing concern. Contingent upon the municipality in question, revenues generated from traffic violations can easily account for a large percentage of their annual budget. Why do you think radar traps are so commonplace in small rural townships? They are limited in terms of other revenue streams.

The question posed suggesting that municipalities contribute monies generated to charity might be somewhat illogical. Let's say they did. Would the taxpaying citizen be wiling to have their taxes increased in order to make up that difference in revenue? More than likely not.

As far as the cops out there? Well, these guys are just out there doing their jobs. A job most often undertaken by a thankless unappreciative public. Why aren't they out there investigating crimes and catching bigger fish? That's not the primary function of the patrolman on the street. They have detectives for that type of thing. Traffic cops are out theredoing what they do because people aren't mindful of even the simplest of traffic rules. Drive within the confines of the law and there's not a problem. Then, and only then, would that free up the patrol officers time to 'go onto other things'. But then again, there are always going to be folks out there who think that speed limits and other traffic codes don't apply to them. And when caught, they are typically the first to bitch about it.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:48 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree Denim. There were a few places in my jurisdiction that I would not go to write tickets. From time to time, we would have overtime opportunities, to go out and write speed and seatbelt tickets. Your staying on the eligibility list was based upon ticket production......we had guys that would sit at the bottom of hills running hand held radar, and dink ppl for 10 over. Or sit a couple hundred feet inside of an area where the limit dropped from 45 to 35 (or whatever it dropped to). I wouldn't do it, and subsequently was removed from the list.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:53 AM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: New2Harley

I agree Denim. There were a few places in my jurisdiction that I would not go to write tickets. From time to time, we would have overtime opportunities, to go out and write speed and seatbelt tickets. Your staying on the eligibility list was based upon ticket production......we had guys that would sit at the bottom of hills running hand held radar, and dink ppl for 10 over. Or sit a couple hundred feet inside of an area where the limit dropped from 45 to 35 (or whatever it dropped to). I wouldn't do it, and subsequently was removed from the list.
That proves two things to me:

1) The system sucks

2) You are a great guy

Old 04-24-2007, 01:57 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: hssatx

Many municipalities have officers working their days off for the sole purpose of traffic enforcement......these programs are government funded. It is a strictly voluntary basis for those officers who wish to earn a little extra money. This concept also frees the officers working regular duty to concentrate on other matters. Traffic enforcement is necessary and is a helpful deterrent.......I'd rather write somebody up than have to pick up their remains off the street and notify their loved ones. On another note, you'd be surprised at the number of serious crimes that are prevented and/or solved as a result of a traffic stop. People often gripe about getting stopped and ticketed, accusing the police of not having anything better to do, yet these same people will also cry why the police weren't out enforcing traffic laws that could have prevented a speeding/drunk driver from killing their loved ones.
Great post. Many wanted criminals are found based off of the simple car stop....guns, drugs, etc are removed from the street. Warrants issued off of unpaid fines many times can be used to hold some dirtbag that is wanted on something else. So, traffic enforcement DOES have many benefits. I just have a problem with the mentality of "I stopped you for _________ so I have to write you".

Old 04-24-2007, 02:14 AM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are more likely to get a ticket in a cage than you are a scoot. Although it's a safety issue, It's all about the money unless you run red lights!!

Old 04-24-2007, 02:37 AM
italiano
Tourer

i believe that everyone is going to bitch no matter what.police willsay the travelers dont understand the risks and the fact that they dont do it by choice and travelers bitch that police have nothing better to do.only a few police can speak for themselves and do what they are supposed to and keep things kosher and there are some that are ****** and pull everyone over and crucify them for everything they can find.i hate tickets as much as the next guy but why would they set limits and rules and not be able to enforce them.thats dumb.id rather pay the damn fine than go to jail.imagine if we went to jail for speeding.how about the stupid *** morons talking on the damn cell phone while driving.why not pull them over or worse of all RUBBERNECKERS!!!!!!!

Old 04-24-2007, 09:48 AM
toyrider
Elite HDF Member

I believe that the posted speed limit is about safety. If they were not there monitoring it, then many wouldn't obey it. You must have a penalty severe enough that people will pay attention. If not, it would bea highway of twisted metal.

Next time you drive down the highway just pay attention to the habits of the "common" highway driver...its horrible...now add 10-20 mph faster and it would be a mess...

Speeding tickets, I have had a share of mine, but all in all I was made about it because I knew that I could have avoided it....by slowing down

Old 04-24-2007, 10:02 AM
MR. SCOOTINN
Tourer

spped limits were desighned for safety..but the the local politicians,,found a cash cow also....in some areas were they have cameras for tickets...they have changed the the speed on the lights so they go from yellow to red quicker just to increase revunue...it is like all other laws created for safety but then abused....what really gets me...is all the leos..say it is about safety...if so give your fellow officers & thier family a ticket when they break the spped limit...not just the non leo people...it is like the the patriot act deighned for terrorisim & our safety...but they do nothing to protect the border,from a terrorist crossing it...right now our goverment is working toward a north american union..with mexico & canada..that is why nothing is being done about the borders...sorry for the rambling ...it just gets me very upset..the way our laws were deighned to be used & how they are abused...

Old 04-24-2007, 10:10 AM
MR. SCOOTINN
Tourer

one last thing & i am done...when you get a ticket were i live & want to plead innocent..you shop up to court on the date ordered on the ticket...tell the judge you want to pleade innocent....after that the judge tell you you have to post bond...4 times the ticket price....not every one has that type of money to post bond on a speeding ticket ,..so they have to pay the fine,because they do not have the money to plead innocent....the judge says the bond is to innsure you show up to court,,,,when you are standing in court right now with out a bond being placed on you....so were does safety play in this picture.....$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Old 04-24-2007, 10:17 AM
grunt
Extreme HDF Member

While there is some basis in safety for the speeding tickets, many cities do make it a revenue generating technique. Garland, TX, was big into this. But so many idiots in Dallas were hitting their officers writing the tickets that they suspended the speed traps in that area.

IMO people exceeding the limit (but not significantly so) are less of a danger than the red light runners and absolutely less of a threat than the cell phone morons.