General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't know how you guys...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 10:11 PM
rushguy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Don't know how you guys...

Ride with no windshield. I've driven my bike with the detachable one on almost since day one, it was cold when I bought her and it really helped. I had a loaner today and man I had to hold on real tight and my cheeks (on face) were flapping in the wind lol. Am I a puss or what..the flecks of road dust were pelting me constantly in the face. Is it to feel more one with the enviornment? I really enjoy riding with no shield below 40 mph but after that I wish it was on. Oh and I had to take the helmet off..damn thing near choked me to death.[sm=outcold.gif]

Old 04-23-2007, 10:16 PM
user 37474839
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Don't know how you guys...

I don't have a windshield on my bike so I wear a 3/4 with face shield if I'm do any major traveling at speed or distance.

If I'm around town maybe a pair of good sealed shades/goggles and a half helmet with the visor taken off.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:16 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't speak for anyone else, but I for one have never ridden with a faring or windshield. My "metric" bikes early on and and the 3 Harleys have all been unprotected in the front and it's never bothered me. There were times that one might have been welcomed, but can't say that I ever really wanted one. It's hard to miss something you've never had I guess and no you're not a puss, you like a w/s, nothing wrong with that.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:18 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've become spoiled. I don't ride without one.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:19 PM
baxter
Road Warrior

a bandana tied around the face and a strong kneck .

Old 04-23-2007, 10:22 PM
rushguy
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: DGlide04

It's hard to miss something you've never had I guess and no you're not a puss, you like a w/s, nothing wrong with that.
Thanks hehe...I do like the ws, only thing that bothers me is the vision. I can't totally sit back and relax because I hate the vision thru it. If I sit up totally tall I can see clearly over it but I'm not as comfy, guess maybe I can try out a shorter shield to deflect the wind from my chest. I bet if I rode without one long enough and fast enough my biceps would double in size.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:25 PM
YUCK
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put the chin strap on your chin,,,,,not your neck.....I've had both,,,windsheild is nice....

Old 04-23-2007, 10:26 PM
MarkM
Tourer

I have a detachable one also, but almost never use it. I usually only put it on if I'm expecting to get stuck in heavy rain, or am going to do a lot of miles on an interstate where I like to keep the debris down. Other than that, it sits in the garage. Also, I don't feel the bike handles as well with the windshield on it, seems like it gets pushed around from the wind more than without it. Maybe I'm just an aero dynamically well-shaped guy.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:35 PM
Sanford
Outstanding HDF Member

The Heretage was the first bike I owned with a windshield. I tried it for a few months and had to take it off. The only time it goes back on is when the wife ride on the back during cold weather (doesn't happen often). I like the wind in the face rides.

Old 04-23-2007, 10:45 PM
Mac57
Road Warrior

The last non-windshield bike I rode was a Superglide I rented up in Cape Cod Mass several years ago.The rental place loaned us a couple of skid lids. At highway speed my head felt like a para-sail, every bug felt like a bullet, and I was afraid that if I yawned my head would instantly inflate and explode! Everything I've ridden since then has had a windshield or a fairing. Maybe I'm just getting old, but for all you guys or gals that ride with the wind in your face, you are better men than I. (And I guess that would include the Gals!)

Quick Reply: Don't know how you guys...