General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't know how you guys...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 01:16 AM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Don't know how you guys...

I have a detachable windshield and have used it a grand total of......Once! On a 12 mile ride just to try it out. I hate windshields unless I am on a verrrry long ride. As soon as I get to where I am going I rip the ugly azz thing off of my bike and cruise around without it.

I HATES WINDSHIELDS!!!

Old 04-24-2007, 01:28 AM
NY Deuce
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh come on now, everyone knows that windshields are only used by some women and certain guys known as girlie men!!! [sm=laughat.gif] [sm=smarty.gif] [sm=joke.gif] [sm=smiley2.gif]

I've never had a windshield but I'm sure it makes a noticeable difference in certain situations, like longer rides, strong head winds, insect swarms, etc. The problem is a windshield just doesn't look good on myDeuce (in my opinion) so I will never put one on this bike. If I get adifferent bike in the future that looks okay to me with a windshield, I'm sure I will at least consider getting one.

Old 04-24-2007, 01:33 AM
HTRAUD
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a windshield on my truck, it is great! Motorcycles should not have windshields.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:05 AM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Jet 3/4 helmet with face shield.......I gotta feel the wind......plus it's really exciting when a semi kicks up a rock and it hits your face shield at 75mph........ But wind gusts at 100 are sometimes challenging......[8D]

Old 04-24-2007, 02:29 AM
Helix
Tourer

I would Never disgrace Ole Bob by makin him wear a Windshield! Its just wrong as two men in a closet On a SB. I never had one on my Sportster , Kawasaki either. Never will I expect. Today I rode in to work w/ 20MPH winds and It didnt feel any different to me than on days w/ 10 MPH winds. Its all about what your used to. If I was going to take long road trips I think I would Like it a lot for fatigue factor. Ive never ridden more than 300 miles in a day and It didnt bother me then , but 3-4 days of it in a row may irk me.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:47 AM
Jules
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I rode for years without one, I got my first about 2 months ago. It looked real out of place on the sportster but it's worth it. I still won't put one on the Softail but I've been riding the sportster a lot more lately with the windshield and not getting tired from trying to hold myself up. I live in Kansas though, so for anyone that hasn't been there about every road is 60+ mph for the whole trip. I did a 500 mile ridelast to Oaklahoma with a friend who didn't have a windshield. We switched bikes for about an hour so he could see what he's missing, he ordered one the day after he got back. My attitude is that I can ride more with it, which makes it worth it. Plus after a long day being able to walk into the bar and not be covered in bugs is kinda nice.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:52 AM
LittleBsMomma
Tourer

I just put a quick detach windshield on my Sporty a few weeks ago (have only ridden with it once since the install because our weather has been sucky (rainy/icy) but I did like it and could really feel the difference. I had a lot less fatigue and battering (namely with the helmet). Think the shield is going to stay on.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:56 AM
cajunrph
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

I have a quick detach for my Low Rider and I have used it may be 3 times. I just like the way the bike looks without so much more. I have gotten use to it now. Use to be any thing over 60 I'd get a good upper body workout, now 80+ seems like 50 use to. (or may be those upper body workouts worked)

Old 04-24-2007, 05:54 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Rode for over 40 yrs with no windshield and loved every minute of it.Now have one and am loving every minute of it.Must be getting old.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:52 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,914 Likes on 815 Posts

I had a quick-detach windshield for my Night Train, but while it did keep the wind off my chest, making it easier to ride at higher speeds, the wind buffetting and weird handling far outweighed the positives, so I sold it. I even had it cut down to try to alleviate the buffetting, but it didn't make a difference.

Long days on the highway at 70+ do tire me out, but I can go for 16+ hours (including gas/food/bathroom stops), on consecutive days without any trouble. I just sleep really well at night!

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Quick Reply: Don't know how you guys...