General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tire retread danger.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 01:54 AM
sgt joe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire retread danger.....

Years ago, i was riding from calif to south jersey, and somewhere in oklahoma on interstate 40, i came up on a 18 wheeler.....i moved over to the left lane and started passing at about 70 mph, when suddenly about a 4 ft piece of retread slung out from the side of the 18 wheeler and probably came about a foot from hitting me in the throat.......It just grazed the top of my right shoulder and went on by............It all happened so fast i didn't really have time to move outta the way, or get nervous......just one second cruising along, and then a quick blur of black rubber flying on by.........Thought i would share this with the group.. anything can happen, so stay alert...........

Old 04-23-2007, 02:50 PM
wldbill
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: tire retread danger.....

This kinda post needs to be read by every HOG road captain who likes to lead a group of riders past these semi's doing 1mph faster than the truck, and placing everybody in jeopardy for way too long a time.

Old 04-23-2007, 03:15 PM
Unamed
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will crack a bike all the way open to get past these things. when I was heading down to phoenix from NM my pop was driving while I rode, he past me at one point then stuck me right next to a semi. I chewed him out for that big time!

Old 04-23-2007, 03:40 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Most truckers don't like us along side for too long either.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:47 PM
Steve On 3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't care what the other thread says, damn retreads are a road hazard. I don't ride beside big trucks nor very close if I can get away from them

Bubba

Old 04-23-2007, 04:51 PM
DenimStreet
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 55Bubba

I don't care what the other thread says, damn retreads are a road hazard. I don't ride beside big trucks nor very close if I can get away from them

Bubba
Bubba, that's the way I always felt too but we have all of these "experts" saying that they are safer than virgin tires. I admit, it is really hard to believe!

Old 04-23-2007, 05:02 PM
wingt50dw
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Unamed

I will crack a bike all the way open to get past these things.
Damn straight! I do the same thing, even in a car. I have a fear of one of those retreds coming off and f'in meup.

Old 04-23-2007, 05:13 PM
wildwill
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not only can the pieces of re-treadhityou,you can hit the pieces of em that are laying in the road and lose it that way.

Old 04-23-2007, 06:06 PM
Tnicean
Tourer

ORIGINAL: wildwill

Not only can the pieces of re-treadhityou,you can hit the pieces of em that are laying in the road and lose it that way.
Yes, I was headed up I-95 on evening after dark and was in the left lane passing a car. As I became even with the car on the right, the car in front of him had hit what was almost half of a road alligator (lost retread) and threw it up in the air. We were all so close together (can't seem to avoid that on I-95) that I watched as the tread came down and hit the car next to me in the bumper/grill area. I rolled on the gas because I was afraid the car that hit the tread would try to change lanes to dodge it and hit me. I saw it hit in my mirror, but I guess it didn't do too much damage since the driver didn't stop. Now I was thinking, what if I had been directly behind the car that threw up the tread when he ran over it. I would have caught about half a retread about fender high on my front tire. I don't know if I could have held it up through that or not. Sometimes you just have to be lucky.
Tnicean