General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Avon Heated Grips; thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 09:18 PM
R_Einan
Road Master
Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts
Default Avon Heated Grips; thoughts?

Who has been using Avon Heated grips? How do you like them? How do you think they compare to the HD heated grips? How long have you had them?

Going to change bars sometime this year and am starting to research the parts I will need on hand to do the work. I'm interested in the Avons, partly because they are much less then the Harley equivalent, and also becuase I don't love the look of the Harley offerings.

PS: Before everyone says that gloves work better, I have them, and use them when it's really cold. I simply like the ease of having the heated grips for the times I don't need/want to use heated gloves. Thank you bad circulation from smoking...

Old 03-25-2015, 04:32 PM
R_Einan
Road Master
Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Anyone?

Old 03-25-2015, 04:47 PM
Iron lHorse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,662 Likes on 1,263 Posts

Originally Posted by R_Einan
Anyone?
I think heated grips are like heated seats in a car . After playing with them a couple of times you realize you could do with out them.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:36 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,072 Likes on 1,500 Posts

I have Speed Demon heated grips on my fxr and Harley heated grips on my fld. Both work quite well. I like heated grips. It never gets really cold here in the San Francisco Bay Area, but it is cool enough in winter to make me appreciate the heated grips. I can also wear a lighter pair of gloves when I use the heated grips which is nice. I have no experience with the Avon grips.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:34 AM
Vision
Road Captain
Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Iron lHorse
I think heated grips are like heated seats in a car . After playing with them a couple of times you realize you could do with out them.
I totally and respectfully disagree. Heated grips are one of those small obscure features that once you experience the benefit of them, you will wonder how you ever did without them. Cold hands on a bike can be dangerous and a debilitating. I had to experience it for myself to believe it... Now that I know, I will NEVER have another bike without them.

The following users liked this post:
Soldthecat (01-23-2023)
Old 04-17-2015, 09:02 AM
Jason Oates
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Vision
I totally and respectfully disagree. Heated grips are one of those small obscure features that once you experience the benefit of them, you will wonder how you ever did without them. Cold hands on a bike can be dangerous and a debilitating. I had to experience it for myself to believe it... Now that I know, I will NEVER have another bike without them.
At first I agree with the "seats" comment,....however....I could completely see your point, like me with remote start on my car. You don't "need" it, but MAN is it a terrific luxury that spoils you rotten in the winter months. Sometimes it truly is the little things that count.

Unless you're in love with your current grips, I'd say get them and then you could at least pick/chose whichever would fit your preference for the weather.

Old 04-17-2015, 09:49 AM
AladinSane
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am interested in the Avons as well but found no helpful 'reviews'. Had heated grips on my last two bikes and miss that feature.

Old 04-19-2015, 11:09 AM
Vision
Road Captain
Received 109 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally , I wanted to go with the Harley Skull heated grips after someone suggested not to mess with any other brands. The problem, was that all the Harley grips that i wanted were back ordered(first hint). So, I ordered a set of the Avon's after learning that grips were the only thing that Avon produced. It's a different company than the Avon that makes tires. When the grips came in to my dealer, it just happens that a pair of the harley skull heated grips arrived at the same time and I was able t inspect both. On pure looks, and feel, the Avon's have it hands down. Then, I started to pay closer attention to the wiring and controllability of both. This is where the Harley grips stand out. The gauge of the wires on the harley grips were noticeably thicker. The over all wiring quality seemed much better on the Harley grips. Second, the Harley grips has a nice heat control right at the end of the grip to adjust the settings to what suits you. I did not notice any control on the Avon's. In addition, I was told that if I had an extended warranty from Harley, which I do, that my Harley grips would be covered and the AVON grips would not. Decision was made right there and then and I stuck with the Harley Skulls. Not a bad looking grip at all. I hope this helps someone because I could not find a single review on the Avon's either.